Rick's Nikon 1.8G Series Thread

simonhodge

You have to remember that there is also different levels of HDR as well. There is HDR that is way out there, where halos are smiled upon and all that jazz and then it gratually makes its way until you can not even tell that it is HDR. You are just looking at an image that seems to pop out of the print or monitor at you like you were actually there. I could show you countless realistic HDR that you probably would never realize accept to say that it is an amazing shot.

I hold my hands up, I am ignorant when it comes to HDR.

You have to remember that there is also different levels of HDR as well. There is HDR that is way out there, where halos are smiled upon and all that jazz and then it gratually makes its way until you can not even tell that it is HDR. You are just looking at an image that seems to pop out of the print or monitor at you like you were actually there. I could show you countless realistic HDR that you probably would never realize accept to say that it is an amazing shot.

Great explanation of HDR. I actually have seen both extremes of HDR that I really liked. The problem comes when someone picks the wrong shot for the weird colors.

Johnathan Aulabaugh

Great explanation of HDR. I actually have seen both extremes of HDR that I really liked. The problem comes when someone picks the wrong shot for the weird colors.

I don't remember if it was Rick or another member but when I first started in this forum there was a member who posted an HDR of a car that was at the extreme that many complained about it but to me it reminded me of something you would see in an old biker bar or any where that one would look to nostalgia. In my everyday work I tend to lean toward the lighter end of HDR. even using tone mapping and then scaling down the effect to my liking. As Rick said it is a tool and like any tool you have to hone your skills in use.

Rick M

Just curious why you sold this?(28mm)

I bought it to hold me over until the 18-35g was available. After I got the 18-35 I compared the results and was pleased with the 18-35 performance. You cannot get great bokeh on wide lenses (in my opinion) and in shooting mostly landscapes, the 1.8 was not important. When I shoot wide I generally use above f5.6 anyway. I've found 35mm is about as wide as I would go and expect great bokeh (hence the 35mm 1.4 in my collection).