Rick's Nikon 1.8G Series Thread

hrphotography

is it true that the focus is soft when the lens is wide open?
i want a 50mm, cannot make my mind which to buy. i heard something about focus being soft when at 1.8.
thank you in advance :)

Rick M

Janathan, below is 100% crop of a leaf taken with the 50mm 1.8g wide open at 1.8, with no post processing. This would be a huge print. This lens is very sharp in my opinion.

18422d1349907532-d600-first-impressions-leaf-100%25.jpg

Rick M

Keep in mind that many things effect sharpness. At 1.8 you have a very narrow DoF, which is often confused for a lack of sharpness.

UserName

Wow! I'm absolutely astonished at the waterfall pictures. Please tell me my D5100 is capable of taking such magnificent shots if I were to purchase this lens!??

Rick M

Wow! I'm absolutely astonished at the waterfall pictures. Please tell me my D5100 is capable of taking such magnificent shots if I were to purchase this lens!??

Yes, I had the D5100 and it is a great camera, most of the shots on my website were taken with the D5100.

Rick M

Some cat portraits with the 85mm

Ambient light, the beauty of fast glass :)

At f2.8
DSC_2617_5646.jpg

At f2.0
DSC_2620_5649.jpg

At f1.8
DSC_2625_5654.jpg

Last edited:

Rick M

Obviously the D600 and that choice of lenses works well. I will say great photos but to be honest I detest HDR photos :)

Thank You! Sometimes it pays to embrace that which we detest and grow from the experience. I used to hate broccoli, now I eat it every day :)

simonhodge

Thank You! Sometimes it pays to embrace that which we detest and grow from the experience. I used to hate broccoli, now I eat it every day :)

I hope that didnt come across too strong, well I do actually cause I really do hate them but I obviously mean no offense to you Rick. Keep eating your broccoli :)

Rick M

I hope that didnt come across too strong, well I do actually cause I really do hate them but I obviously mean no offense to you Rick. Keep eating your broccoli :)

No problem, I am not at all offended! We all have different likes and dislikes. What do you hate about HDR?

Johnathan Aulabaugh

Its just the wierd colours etc. Dont really see the point in it. :)

You have to remember that there is also different levels of HDR as well. There is HDR that is way out there, where halos are smiled upon and all that jazz and then it gratually makes its way until you can not even tell that it is HDR. You are just looking at an image that seems to pop out of the print or monitor at you like you were actually there. I could show you countless realistic HDR that you probably would never realize accept to say that it is an amazing shot.