Ready to return my D800

Photowyzard

D800e(CUL).jpg

I simply couldn't edit that post for love or money. This is the image.

LIgirl

Thank you so much for the generous share! I know the D800 is a studio camera, but I intend to use it outdoors. Here is the pic you requested. Taken in the afternoon, with an FX lens and a better f-stop. Had to resize it, though. The attachment was too big

Attachments

• DSC_1893.jpg
    DSC_1893.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 320

Photowyzard

LiGirl,

Happy to help, no worries.

What is wrong with these pictures? They look great to me.

For what it is worth, it took me a year to get comfortable with my D90. I still don't know it 100% but I take better pictures with it than I did two years ago. There was a learning curve I didn't realize. I thought it would be just like riding a bike, point, shoot get the same images as my old camera. Not so.

You have 5 times the camera in your hands!!!

One of the key things to understand with a D800 is that it will reward you when you are technically perfect and it will really show you up when you make a mistake! And, this is not just a studio camera. I was at a trade show recently and one of my favourite sports photographers was there. The sport images he displayed that were shot with a D800 were as amazing as anything I have seen him do. The images were simply amazing.

The only foible I see with the D800 is the fps rate, for my taste, is a bit lacking. Otherwise, it is the most impressive tool on the market for photography, make no mistake. I believe, selling this would be a mistake.

Invest the time to learn how to use it properly, you won't be disappointed.

ronvanderkolk

About the image in the woods (1/250s, f/1.8, ISO320, 50/1.8 lens, aperture priority mode, auto wb):

Indeed the f/1.8 is the problem. Not only is the DOF paper thin, but there are only few lenses that are really sharp wide open.

Regarding the shutter speed: 1/125s should be plenty for normal shooting, but if you look at a 36MP file at 100% you will still be able to see motion blur causes by the photographer, camera mirror slap an subject (the block of wood won't move that much but the foiliage will move with the wind). At long distances and on hot days you will even see the wavy refraction caused by the air. Corrected for image size, this will all be exactly the same with any other DSLR.

Contrast and color need manual tweaking here.

About the image at the parking lot (1/200s, f/9, ISO100, 50/1.8 lens, aperture priority mode, auto wb):

Seems rather ok. It shows jagged aliasing in the Toyota's license plate, probably cause by the resizing or sharpening that you used. What problem does this image illustrate according to you?

About the flowers (1/250s, f/2.5, ISO100, 50/1.8 lens, aperture priority mode, manual wb):

A very high contrast backlit scene with an underexposed foreground and overexposed highlight. And a lens that shows vey ugly bokeh, not noise. Depth op field is too shallow to show the entire flower in focus. All problems with the scene, settings and lens. None of them is a camera problem.

What problem does this image illustrate according to you?

Last edited:

mariolopez

I have my D800 for almost 3 months and my photos are incredibly sharp. I used to shoot high end medium formats cameras, I admit the image quality of this camera is very close to medium format. For the price, I can't complain. Best DSLR I owned and keeping it. Don't know what your exposure settings are, for quick tests, try shooting with a good tripod and varieties of exposure settings and 2 or 3 type of nikon lenses. A rare coincidence, but I hope it's not cause by manufacturer defects. And if it is, contact Nikon asap.

NikonGirl

I'm new to DSLR's and especially new to Nikon, but in the past few weeks I have been researching endlessly to pick out a Nikon best suited to me, and one thing I gathered is to get the best out of your camera, once all the settings are right - you really, really should use a Tripod. It is SUCH a sensitive camera and something as slight as a shakey inhale or exhale can throw off the picture.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Don't forget to also use the Quiet mode. I know it helped with sharpness with the D7000. It prevents a lot of mirror slap.

Photowyzard

I'm new to DSLR's and especially new to Nikon, but in the past few weeks I have been researching endlessly to pick out a Nikon best suited to me, and one thing I gathered is to get the best out of your camera, once all the settings are right - you really, really should use a Tripod. It is SUCH a sensitive camera and something as slight as a shakey inhale or exhale can throw off the picture.

Well, no, for this or any other camera. Without a doubt, a tripod will benefit you in many situations, however, many other factors come into play. This is a very broad statement and the answer can be a lengthy one so I will keep it somewhat short just to give you an idea.

In situations where you have enough light and a short lens, high shutters speeds will preclude the use of a tripod.

If you are using a long lens, a tripod is a definite asset, but again, a high shutter speed will go a long way to giving you a crisp image, hand held. The rule of thumb to use is the 1/focal length of lens rule...
eg. 300mm lens would require a 1/300s shutter speed or faster, to hand hold.

To the best of my knowledge, these general principles apply to every camera, every brand, regardless.

Forget the tripod get a VR lens and get on and enjoy taking the photos .Stop reading forums for a least a month and just use the camera. Most of the experts on here are out of date arm chair pontificators .If you are happy with your photos that is all that matters. If you must seek advice try Kenockwell.com

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Dont listen to old people.
They die and take there knowledge with them and you live in ignorance

pedroj

Forget the tripod get a VR lens and get on and enjoy taking the photos .Stop reading forums for a least a month and just use the camera. Most of the experts on here are out of date arm chair pontificators .If you are happy with your photos that is all that matters. If you must seek advice try Kenockwell.com

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Dont listen to old people.
They die and take there knowledge with them and you live in ignorance

Some sound advice here folks, I've been enlightened...Kenockwell indeed....

gqtuazon

Gear Head

I used two prime lenses (28mm f1.8 and 85mm f1.4) a few days ago which didn't have VR. I compensated my shakey hands with a slightly higher shutter speed and used a speed light.

Indoors, faster shutter speed and flash are your friends if you are not using a tripod. I was hesitant before since that is what I've read and Nikon recommended the use of a tripod to get the best results.

You can view some of my work during the evening event below.

D800E + two primes and SB 900

CAPT STANCY SAYONARA PARTY pictures by gqtuazon - Photobucket

What we are talking here is a lady new to DSLR who is getting her brain clogged with advice ...and now she has even more !!! What she needs is experience with the camera to sort the wheat from the chaff...if you have shaky hands you certainly need a 28-300 Vr then you wont have the shakes changing lenses!!

gqtuazon

Gear Head
What we are talking here is a lady new to DSLR who is getting her brain clogged with advice ...and now she has even more !!! What she needs is experience with the camera to sort the wheat from the chaff...if you have shaky hands you certainly need a 28-300 Vr then you wont have the shakes changing lenses!!

Did I post something confusing?

Re: VR. VR is not the complete solution. VR is ok for stationary subjects but it doesn't help if you are shooting somebody who is moving. Nikon recommends turning off VR is your shutter speed is around 1/320 or higher.

I agree that the OP requires more experience just like anyone of us here when we first started exploring photography. The good thing is that this is the digital age and it doesn't cost you a thing to use your camera. You can always delete them if you don't like a picture.

I suggest that the OP practice what M, A, S, P does with her camera and play how ISO affects an image.

pedroj

And still getting it