Ready to return my D800

Eye-level

Banned
Good photographer...OK model haha...Great camera...LOL :)

_8000154.jpg

LensWork

To the OP:

1. Were the original images shot in raw or jpeg?
2. If shot in raw, were they opened in Nikon Capture NX2 before they were transferred to Photoshop CS5, or were the raw files opened using Adobe's ACR?
3. With regards to the first image, I will echo what others have said: first it appears from the limited metadata that it was shot using the DX AF-S 35mm f/1.8G lens. This automatically places the D800 in DX mode reducing resolution by nearly 60% (36MP in FX, 15MP in DX). Virtually all lenses are not as sharp wide-open (f1.8 in this case) as they are at least 2-stops down from maximum aperture. This is especially true with very fast lenses like the DX 35mm f/1.8G. Also the extremely limited depth-of-field as a result of shooting at f/1.8 will render only an extremely small portion of any image that features objects at varying distances from the camera in sharp focus.

The remaining images appear to be acceptable (as much as one can tell from low-res jpeg images on a computer screen).

stmv

to me it looks like you shot in low light, not on tripod, and if you left it in auto, it picked a very low Fstop. shallow dof, so just a small portion will be in focus, and the rest soft. I have now shot around 5K shots with my D800, and it did take a bit to improve on the quality over my D700, but paying attention to light, using tripod where needed, etc, the sharpness of my D800 exceeds significantly any of my other Digital SLRs in all conditions, but just a bit more harder to use. so,, tripod,, and
MANAUL mode, best with this camera to take charge of your world.