Project 365 2013 Contest

Brusader

Hello everyone!!

I'm new here, first day on the forum actually, and came across this thread. I've known about 365 projects for some time but have never actually tried to do one.

Just got a D7000, moved up from a D40, and am excited to jump in.

It appears i might be a little late for this. What if i hadn't taken a picture everyday this week? Can I still get in on the contest?

Thanks!
-Zach

Thinking about giving this a shot. Gonna have to look back and see if I have enough to be eligible.

Just get in and do it. I'm one photo short, but in it for the experience, learning and satisfaction of 'almost' making it. :)

AxeMan - Rick S.

A few words of advise:

You will find that your first and last 90 days are going to be the hardest to do. More than likely if your 365 if going to fail it's going to be in the first 90 days more than the last 90 days.

Make a list of things you want to photograph and keep adding to it. It's best to plan out your shots before hand, writing them down on something will help. This way you will know what you have to shot that day instead of going hunting for something before the days end. When you go "out of town" even if it's the next town over from you take your camera with you. You're going to see thing you don't see daily. If you find something take the photo then go back to your list for the next day, unless you find something else, etc etc.

Instead of driving around looking for photos, drive somewhere park and go for a walk, it will do you good too. (Dress warm for the colder months) Pay attention to small details, you can find plenty of things to photograph though out the year.

Sharing your 365 photos are great, but try to only post one photo a day. You will find yourself saying, "I took that shot and posted it already" If you want to share more than one photo a day make sure it's the same subject just shot at a different angle.

Not only do I live in the "land of cold and short days" I also live in a small farming town. I drive 10 minutes in any direction from my town and I see nothing but cornfields for miles and they all look the same.

I can't say taking this approach made it easy for me completing two back to back 365's, but it sure helped a lot on those hard to find shot days.

Those of you planning ahead for 365 continuation into 2014 or 2013, I found the second year is much harder than the first, and truthfully I should have never started my second year. My shots from the first year were much better than my second.

RockyNH_RIP

Rick, excellent tips & suggestions... let me also add congrats on accomplishing all that you have to date!

And of course, Thank You!

Pat in NH

Lscha

So...If we miss one day of snapping a photo, we are out of the running for the gift card, right? Just checking.

Last edited:

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
As long as you make up for that lost day somehow. If you miss two weeks then, eh, you're pushing it :)

Lscha

Understood. My concern was if one was to go in for surgery, cameras may not be allowed so the date on the meta data would not be consecutive with the rest of the snaps.

AxeMan - Rick S.

Understood. My concern was if one was to go in for surgery, cameras may not be allowed so the date on the meta data would not be consecutive with the rest of the snaps.

Funny how cameras are not allowed, but everyone and their brother has a cell phone (which HAS a camera) go figure.

Bring your cell phone with you and take a photo of something. I have pushed my luck and have brought in a camera into a Hospital. I kept it under my coat an was not obnoxious about it. Found a shot, looked around made sure no one was watching me and grabbed a quick photo, then put it back under my coat. A lot easier to do with a cell phone camera even if it's only a 3.2 meg camera, it still a photo from that day.

You can find all sorts of stairways and artwork (sculptures) in a Hospital or doctors waiting room. Just be careful not to photograph anyone. That is the reason behide the camera bans the "patient privacy act".

Example

Attachments

• DSC_1315.jpg
    DSC_1315.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 196

RockyNH_RIP

Funny how cameras are not allowed, but everyone and their brother has a cell phone (which HAS a camera) go figure.

Bring your cell phone with you and take a photo of something. I have pushed my luck and have brought in a camera into a Hospital. I kept it under my coat an was not obnoxious about it. Found a shot, looked around made sure no one was watching me and grabbed a quick photo, then put it back under my coat. A lot easier to do with a cell phone camera even if it's only a 3.2 meg camera, it still a photo from that day.

You can find all sorts of stairways and artwork (sculptures) in a Hospital or doctors waiting room. Just be careful not to photograph anyone. That is the reason behide the camera bans the "patient privacy act".

Example

Good point Rick... Thanks!

Pat in NH

jkinzel

The wife, I and the body guard, ref. avatar, are on a trip to California and thought I would post a few photos per day, however I’m not sure where to post them. Is there a tread for this type of activity? Is this the thread to ask?

Kim20

Oh.... Although I have not missed a day in TAKING photos, I have missed many many days in posting this year. I do not belong on this list, but cudos to all the others that have made it! Sadly, I must be removed.....

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Same as Kim for me. I've skipped too many days but I've kept posting in this thread just to keep all my posted photos together. So, I do not deserve the win. Congrats to those who survived it and kept shooting and posting daily.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Kim, Marcel....

You two are both winners in my book!

Pat in NH

That's very nice to hear Pat. Thanks. But I remember that I did write at some point that I was dropping out, so it would be unfair for me to win. I know I still try to shoot and post every day, but there have been many days that I didn't and I just didn't want to feel the pressure. We'll see who wins after the new year I guess :encouragement: