Project 365 2013 - A Learning Journey/Moab Man

Moab Man

Day 12, 2013 - Husks

Not sure what you call them but they appear to be husks left over from whatever these flowering plants are.

Day12HusksWeb.jpg

LEARNED: A flash is needed far more than you realize as a beginner. With all the reflected light from the snow it wasn't obvious to use a flash. Did it for the heck of it and it really improved the photo. Lesson learned - give your subject a quick thrill and flash it :cool:.

Last edited:

Moab Man

Day 13, 2013 - Brittle Star

Here are a couple of limbs from our Brittle Star starfish. We never see him in his entirety. When we moved him a month ago he was 12" from tip to tip. His center is about the size of a half dollar.

Day13BrittleStarWeb.jpg

Moab Man

Next time we do a water change I will have to try and catch a picture of the 100's of Micro Stars in our tank. Water changes cause them to all get extremely frisky.

Moab Man

Day 17, 2013 - First Digital Camera - Sony Cybershot DSC-S30 1.3 Mega Pixels

I was thinking about it and remembered I still had my original first digital camera, two batteries, charger, two memory sticks (16 & 32 meg that were big at the time). So here is that picture. I don't like how it turned out as it is late and I didn't have the time I would like to have had to keep playing with lighting to get it right. Wife threatened me.

Day17SonyCameraWeb.jpg

Last edited:

Moab Man

Day 18, 2013 - Winter Sunrise

Here in the Rocky Mountains we get clouds, fog, and smog all trapped in the mountain valleys. At times, these conditions create some really sweet sun rise and moon sets. In this shot it really was this dark with a defined orb showing through at 0830. The horizon line is actually a ridge just short of 10,000 feet. I was sitting at 4,700 feet and ~3 miles from the base of the mountain shooting through a side window of the truck holding the camera and steadied against the glass of the truck.

Day18SunRiseWeb.jpg

Learned: Try something like this sequenced shot just to do it. Then when you want to do it for real because the right conditions are present you will have a far better handle on things. Until this moment I never realized exactly HOW FAST the sun moves.

Moab Man

Day 19, 2013 - Jigsaw Puzzle

Here is my nerdy little hobby. I make jigsaw puzzles out of postage stamps. A long while ago I bought a series of stamps showing classic television shows. So here is the "Twilight Zone" made into a twelve piece puzzle. I have heard that postage stamps have another use besides puzzles, but I'm not sure what that is anymore.

Sorry the puzzle isn't a little cleaner - still a bit of cutting dust on the stamp.

Day19JigsawPuzzleWeb.jpg

Moab Man

Day 20, 2013 - Freshly Fallen Snow Flakes

During the night we get this light dust of snow flakes that settle on everything. Looked so delicate that I decided to try and capture it.

Day20SnowFlakesWeb.jpg

Moab Man

Day 21, 2013 - Drip

In between freezing fingers off... tried to catch a drip with sharpness inside the drip. I think I achieved it... what do you think?
Day21DripWeb.jpg

Learned:
Photo editing software is your friend when the air is actually brown due to the inversion - trapped smog, haze, and clouds. With a bit of editing I was able to change/save and ugly brown picture and turn it into a nice blueish photo.

Last edited:

nikonpup

stamps, got this when i retired. The artist takes 2 or 3 stamps cuts out the design, puts it back together to make a 3d effect.
Sorry the photo does not do the work justice.009.JPG