Project 365 2013 - A Learning Journey/Moab Man

Deezey

Did you time it or use the drive? I have tried photographing water drops but found the 1/4000 max shutter speed on the D90 a little slow to freeze all the movement.

Moab Man

The water droplets were coming down in a barrage from a large collection of icicles. I just dialed in the focus area and fired away until I got something dramatic and in the focus area.

Moab Man

Day 364, 2013 - Summer Dreaming

Day364Pond.jpg

Moab Man

Day 366, 2013 - My Final Picture of 2013

Whew! I'm finally done with this Project 365. Don't ask me how I ended up with 366 days; I'm an overachiever I guess. Anyway, I went out for my final shot of the year and got rewarded big time. First, I picked up a Tamron 200-500mm for the next couple of days to play with on my D7100. We wanted to see if the lens was any good and full zoom for shooting in Yellowstone. Initially I was just shooting rocks on the side of the mountain approximating the conditions I would be shooting in Yellowstone. Then the photography Gods shined upon me as a herd of Mountain Goats went running across the mountain. We had always heard we have them, but had never seen them. This was perfect! I could try out the lens doing exactly what I wanted to do with it in Yellowstone. Without a doubt, the Tamron 200-500mm is a great lens. However, it is a must rock solid mount on a tripod lens. If you don't figure out how to use this lens you will be very disappointed - as I was initially. Once mastered, the lens delivers. So here are my pictures shot on a very overcast day with a heavy "inversion" (a fog of pollution trapped in the valley that makes everything hazy). To put it mildly, I used the lens under conditions this lens doesn't like.

D7100
Tamron 200-500mm @ 500
f/6.3, 1/640, ISO 320

Lesson Learned: When shooting with this lens, with its sheer weight and size, the best images I got were when following the minimum shutter speed to focal length rule. To fire the lens I set it to timer delay of 5 seconds and immediately after the shutter did its thing, if you kept watching through the viewfinder, you would see how much shake the shutter actuation would cause. My tripod is what I would call good under most circumstances. However, the head was just not up to par with the sheer heft of this lens.

Day366MountainGoats1.jpg

Day366MountainGoats2.jpg

Day366MountainGoats3.jpg