Preparation for wedding photography

rocketman122

Well, I didn't mean it was a bad photograph, its a nice shot. I just meant that most people on here who have the label as "pro" never post any of their work.

then you havent seen my posts because I post many pictures of my examples. look back one page and youll see tons of pictures I posted. look on page 6, there's one and one page 7 theres like 10 pics..you dont see them?

also here
http://nikonites.com/wedding/19401-wedding-last-summer.html

Last edited:

Scott Murray

Wedding rehearsal, later in the day than expected so sun was in shocking position.
Had to make do.

SHM_9898.jpg

rocketman122

No more practice, the real deal is tomorrow. Goodnight and wish be luck lol.

giving feedback for tweaking.
-shoot a lot, filter all the crap out after. shoot twice, move a bit, refocus, then shoot again. put the D800 on CH. after using the D600 for a few weddings already, you can also use the D600 on CH and control the amount it captures by how fast you remove your finger. so I can usually control 2 shots or 4, depending how fast my finger gets off. but CL is too slow. I only shoot in CH and I adjust my finger.
-watch the feet, youre cutting them. dont do those 90% full body shots. its either face, half body, or full body. dont cut people half way down. you can crop after though.dont cut the feet and certainly dont do the headless horseman picture HAHAHA! watch the hands as well when youre shooting half bodies. for instance, if youre doing a half body shot, and the man has the hand in his pant pocket, shoot just under it. women, usually put their hands on their waist. even if the hand is straight down, dont crop.
-formals, watch the womens bust line, watch the mens ties.
-give some exposure compensation if youre shooting towards the sun. dont worry about blowing out the background. youre priority is face. get the face properly exposed or just a bit to get it balanced with the back. youre in a very tough situation. you cant expose for both. so priority is face. bring back a bit of hilight recover in PP after. but youll have a lot of blown out backgrounds. dont worry about it. if the dress or suit is over or under, its not priority. its always face.
-watch the heads with the horizon. bend down if its horizontal.
-you can do HSS flash at -1 if you want. personally, lukewarm.
-noticed some pictures looked contrasty and other not so. specifically the one of them standing face to face (vow) lacks contrasts
-bump up your sharpness in picture control because the flare is killing some of the sharpness with the low contrast.
-from what I see with the beach shots, one camera needs the 70-200 (no VR at the beach for both lenses, no need), the other the 16-35. thats it. nothing else. you can snipe people to your hearts content. in the evening, it might be a different situation. have the 85 1.4 handy. shoot at f/2-4.get peoples POV by shooting from their positions. go behind, in front. screw everyone, get the shots you need. some people feel awkward to be bold and a bit "pushy" to get the necessary shots. dont be passive. create. dont just document. 2 different things.
-if you need, bump up your iso to 6400 but give an extra 1/3 stop extra exposure so the blacks doesnt hold grain. then in PP lower the exposure a bit.

a lot of info here. just trying to guide you a bit.

focus Scott. we believe in you. man I wish I was there with you. looking at the pics just psyches me up. butterflies every wedding. me and you, the dynamic duo. man, we'd kill it!
the force is strong with you!

Ironwood

Good luck with the shoot Scott, and have a good time.

You have done all the preparation, your attention to detail is second to none.
I know you will come through this with flying colors, and the experience will make you an even better photographer.

I cant wait to see some of the results.

Scott Murray

giving feedback for tweaking.
-shoot a lot, filter all the crap out after. shoot twice, move a bit, refocus, then shoot again. put the D800 on CH. after using the D600 for a few weddings already, you can also use the D600 on CH and control the amount it captures by how fast you remove your finger. so I can usually control 2 shots or 4, depending how fast my finger gets off. but CL is too slow. I only shoot in CH and I adjust my finger.
-watch the feet, youre cutting them. dont do those 90% full body shots. its either face, half body, or full body. dont cut people half way down. you can crop after though.dont cut the feet and certainly dont do the headless horseman picture HAHAHA! watch the hands as well when youre shooting half bodies. for instance, if youre doing a half body shot, and the man has the hand in his pant pocket, shoot just under it. women, usually put their hands on their waist. even if the hand is straight down, dont crop.
-formals, watch the womens bust line, watch the mens ties.
-give some exposure compensation if youre shooting towards the sun. dont worry about blowing out the background. youre priority is face. get the face properly exposed or just a bit to get it balanced with the back. youre in a very tough situation. you cant expose for both. so priority is face. bring back a bit of hilight recover in PP after. but youll have a lot of blown out backgrounds. dont worry about it. if the dress or suit is over or under, its not priority. its always face.
-watch the heads with the horizon. bend down if its horizontal.
-you can do HSS flash at -1 if you want. personally, lukewarm.
-noticed some pictures looked contrasty and other not so. specifically the one of them standing face to face (vow) lacks contrasts
-bump up your sharpness in picture control because the flare is killing some of the sharpness with the low contrast.
-from what I see with the beach shots, one camera needs the 70-200 (no VR at the beach for both lenses, no need), the other the 16-35. thats it. nothing else. you can snipe people to your hearts content. in the evening, it might be a different situation. have the 85 1.4 handy. shoot at f/2-4.get peoples POV by shooting from their positions. go behind, in front. screw everyone, get the shots you need. some people feel awkward to be bold and a bit "pushy" to get the necessary shots. dont be passive. create. dont just document. 2 different things.
-if you need, bump up your iso to 6400 but give an extra 1/3 stop extra exposure so the blacks doesnt hold grain. then in PP lower the exposure a bit.

a lot of info here. just trying to guide you a bit.

focus Scott. we believe in you. man I wish I was there with you. looking at the pics just psyches me up. butterflies every wedding. me and you, the dynamic duo. man, we'd kill it!
the force is strong with you!

Thanks for the feedback and tips. It wasn't until I got back to my apartment that I realized my flash was manually set to 24mm I think this impacted on the fill flash. I have fixed it now.
I am sitting at a coffee shop now enjoying a large coffee and getting my fluids up.

Also the light will not be as bad as the rehearsal as it was 2 hrs later than the real one today.

Will be doing some family portraits today aswell as a 62 person group shot. That will be interesting.