Preparation for wedding photography

Scott Murray

Well its all done and dusted. I think I managed a few good shots was a long day though approximately 11 hrs but has been great. I had to battle with the harsh sun which made things interesting. But all in all its done and there is no changing anything lol. Now to go through the photos I have no idea how many I took but I burnt through 12 eneloop batteries in one flash.

Scott Murray

Wedding photography includes wedding preparations, bride portraits, bride and bridesmaids portraits, the groom and his groomsmen, the full wedding party, the family with all colour photo postures.And the most important part of photographing a wedding is preparation. ... A wedding is not where you learn how to be a photographer.

I asked this question as many people prepare for weddings differently and I wanted to see the differences. Also you can never stop learning so getting ideas off others is a great idea. Since shooting my wedding I have been asked to do another so I must have done something right. The bride and groom loved the photos and at the end of the day that's all that matters.

Somersetscott

Well Scott - Do you have some goodies to show us? :)

Are you happy with all of the images post-edit?

Sounds like you've taken a well prepared and conscientious approach to this wedding!

I have been looking into wedding photography for the last year - researching, been on an intense wedding business course, upgraded my kit and only now gone out and got a wedding booking (they know it is my first one, I am doing it for free, they have seen my portfolio, been through a tick list of the shot required - Similar to the one you posted here, scoped the venues etc etc.) at the end of August.

I also have three bookings as an assistant/second shooter prior to this. I think this will equip me pretty well for the job and hopefully will be a success.

Do you have any advice, or any pitfalls you found yourself in?

Scott Murray

Well Scott - Do you have some goodies to show us? :)

Are you happy with all of the images post-edit?

Sounds like you've taken a well prepared and conscientious approach to this wedding!

I have been looking into wedding photography for the last year - researching, been on an intense wedding business course, upgraded my kit and only now gone out and got a wedding booking (they know it is my first one, I am doing it for free, they have seen my portfolio, been through a tick list of the shot required - Similar to the one you posted here, scoped the venues etc etc.) at the end of August.

I also have three bookings as an assistant/second shooter prior to this. I think this will equip me pretty well for the job and hopefully will be a success.

Do you have any advice, or any pitfalls you found yourself in?

Hey Scott, dont abandon us lol. I've been following this thread since the beginning, would really love to ser some pics!

I must have posted the photos in my 'Random' thread, but they can also be found here on my website - Fremantle Western Australia | Scott H Murray Photography

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Ran across this guy's site today when I was looking for info on flashes. Has some good info on using flash and high ISO at events like weddings. Might be helpful.

bounce flash examples - wedding receptions - Tangents

Hee hee! Do you have any idea who this guy is?!! Neil van Niekerk! :) He wrote a couple of books about on-camera and off-camera flash, and he's been mentioned on here several times! VERY interesting link you found there, dickelfan! :cool:

The link says he uses on-camera flash with a black foam thing for bouncing the flash. I want to spend time reading this link more thoroughly!

Here are two of his most popular books:

On-Camera Flash Techniques for Digital Wedding and Portrait Photography

Off-Camera Flash; Techniques for Digital Photographers

Hughes08

These are lenses used for wedding photography.

1. 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Lens
2. 50mm f/1.2 Lens
3. 85mm f1.2L II USM
4. 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Ultra Wide Angle Zoom Lens
5. 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Lens for Canon SLR Cameras
6. 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Lens