Post your Train shots!

crashton

Glad you got those Sandpatch, a great pair of pictures. It won't be long until those signal old bridges are replaced with some look alike signal.

AxeMan - Rick S.

Big Boy sized .jpg

NOT MY PHOTO PHOTOGRAPHER UNKNOWN

OK, not a Train photo, but if you live in any of these states check out any location in your area and put in for the day off of work.

The town that I live Dixon IL. in is on the main line and instead of going to one of the stop were you know is going to be jam pack, I'm going to a rural area crossing where the crowds should be much smaller.

https://www.up.com/heritage/steam/s...z27TUvSrvw2C_K8RGwe6zf6EgL3Vf3QP_Wk0ZtxJKPayM

Sandpatch

….
instead of going to one of the stop were you know is going to be jam pack, I'm going to a rural area crossing where the crowds should be much smaller.

A fine idea -- I've used that plan of attack for many years and usually try to compound success by getting away from highway crossings of any kind. Few people want to walk to a location. I'd rather come away with one good shot than a dozen with nothing but rear ends and elbows.

Please post your work if you get a chance to get trackside! I'm like Chuck with my envy. Being a Carolinian, the Big Boy is a loooong way away.

Sandpatch

In a moment of serendipity while hoping to catch NS's N&W Heritage Unit, I heard the CSX Dispatcher mention that Amtrak was near. Seeing Amtrak in daylight is a mighty rare occurrence in Columbia, SC, so I hotfooted it over to the station to see what was up. The southbound Silver Star had hit a large tree downed in last night's storms, smashing the cab window and requiring a rescue unit from CSX.

2019-06-21 001 Columbia SC - for upload.jpg

2019-06-21 ATK 92 Damage Columbia SC - for upload.jpg

Sandpatch

NS's Southern Railway Heritage Unit arrived in Columbia, SC today under overcast skies and as with Friday's N&W unit, the SOU too was trailing. Oh well, it's a better shot than I'd taken in 2018 with it hiding in the trees.

2019-06-23 001 Columbia SC - for upload.jpg

2019-06-23 NS 8099 [SOU] Columbia SC - for upload.jpg

Sandpatch

Yes, it's a great website. I should probably become a member so that I can submit sightings, but I don't yet own a smart phone which would limit my timely contributions.

Give it another shot Marilynne. Maybe it was down when you tried. I'm normally able to access it without trouble. There's even a drop down so that users can narrow their search to a specific railroad and FEC is a selection. :)

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
That's odd, Marilynne. It just worked for me.

Yes, it's a great website. I should probably become a member so that I can submit sightings, but I don't yet own a smart phone which would limit my timely contributions.

Give it another shot Marilynne. Maybe it was down when you tried. I'm normally able to access it without trouble. There's even a drop down so that users can narrow their search to a specific railroad and FEC is a selection. :)

Something happened with my connection. Was getting page not found for everything, including Nikonites. Pulled the plug and my computer seems to working now.

Sandpatch

Doesn't look like Florida has any dots right now.

I'm not too familiar with the FEC, but I think that the FEC's old skool "Champion" Scheme appears on all of its newer big road units (Nos. 800-823 (?)), so may not be considered special nor followed as enthusiastically by fans. The FEC seems to have so much cool paint on their fleet that maybe none are considered special. The do run two special units for Breast Cancer Awareness, Nos. 425 and 436. Fans are following these on the site, but after several days the locations are deleted if something current isn't entered.

Last edited:

Sandpatch

Great catches Sandpatch. I've never seen a Heritage unit. Maybe one day I'll snag one. …
Thanks for the website Rick. :encouragement:

Thank you. The SOU unit went north to the big yard in Linwood, NC, then came right back south through Columbia. I'm not sure why, but it was spotted all by itself today. I couldn't get close, but was able to get this shot. Somebody needs to get busy with a weedwhacker …..:rolleyes:

One of these days a Heritage Unit will find you.

2019-06-25 001 NS 8099 [SOU] Columbia SC - for up;oad.jpg

Last edited:

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I'm not too familiar with the FRC, but I think that the FEC's old skool "Champion" Scheme appears on all of its newer big road units (Nos. 800-823 (?)), so may not be considered special nor followed as enthusiastically by fans. The FEC seems to have so much cool paint on their fleet that maybe none are considered special. The do run two special units for Breast Cancer Awareness, Nos. 425 and 436. Fans are following these on the site, but after several days the locations are deleted if something current isn't entered.

According to the site, there was one listed that went through FL eight days ago, but not in my area.