Post your Train shots!

Sandpatch

Just too hot and humid to be out chasing trains. :cool: Best to be inside I suppose. Made some progress on my model railroad block control panel. Yes, I went a little nuts with the LEDs. The panel provides some spare positions for layout expansion or things I failed to think of.

2019-07-09 Block Panel Temporarily Wired - for upload.jpg

Bengan

Just too hot and humid to be out chasing trains. :cool: Best to be inside I suppose. Made some progress on my model railroad block control panel. Yes, I went a little nuts with the LEDs. The panel provides some spare positions for layout expansion or things I failed to think of.

You can never have to many LEDs...;)

Sandpatch

Nice catch Sandpatch. Are you on an overpass?

Thank you. Yep and it's a safe one, with a nice wide sidewalk on each side. The light is kind of funky here for northbounds, so I'm actually kind of glad that it was overcast. My aversion to our current high heat and humidity cost me a well lit shot this morning of this train's southbound counterpart, No. 191. :(

Sandpatch

Nice one zilla! The sound produced by these massive machines must have also been a memorable experience. You shot this at 1/200th. Was he moving slowly? I often shoot mainline trains at 1/640 or 1/800 to avoid blur.

AxeMan - Rick S.

A fine idea -- I've used that plan of attack for many years and usually try to compound success by getting away from highway crossings of any kind. Few people want to walk to a location. I'd rather come away with one good shot than a dozen with nothing but rear ends and elbows.

Please post your work if you get a chance to get trackside! I'm like Chuck with my envy. Being a Carolinian, the Big Boy is a loooong way away.

Best I could do, more people than expected at my location, maybe 50-75 people I had to works around and I had to shoot between two telephone poles.

BIg-Boy-013 boader.jpg

crashton

Best I could do, more people than expected at my location, maybe 50-75 people I had to works around and I had to shoot between two telephone poles.

View attachment 317576

Wow Rick what a great capture. I like the way you have cropped out the UP yellow water tank cars. That train would look so much better if they'd have painted them black. Although Kudos to UP for restoring that big boy.

You did a heck of a job working around all those cell phone shooters. Thank for sharing! :encouragement:

Sandpatch

Your UP Heritage Unit poster looks fantastic and the photos are absolutely excellent. It's hard enough catching up with these locomotives, let alone find them in a good spot for photography. Well done!

Last edited:

Sandpatch

Wow Rick what a great capture. I like the way you have cropped out the UP yellow water tank cars. That train would look so much better if they'd have painted them black. Although Kudos to UP for restoring that big boy.

You did a heck of a job working around all those cell phone shooters. Thank for sharing! :encouragement:

I agree. I'd be euphoric if I'd have come home with a Big Boy shot as good as that one. Very nice AxeMan!

Sandpatch

In view of the summer heat, I find myself indoors suffering from the want to see train. I went out this morning to seek a photo spot, but the location was badly backlit. Knowing that a train was due and that the shot would suffer from bad light, I took a walk on the wild side and chose a wide angle view from a hillside. Not a great shot, but at least I came home with something. :rolleyes:

2019-07-31 Killian SC - for upload.jpg

Last edited:

WarbirdAirbrush2

It is GREAT to see that Big Boy in action. From this image it isn't hard to imagine these weigh more than a 747. There's one near me at the National Railroad Museum in Green Bay, WI, that I haven't been to in years but have felt the need to get back there. Fantastic locomotives!

crashton

Seems we had the same thought Sandpatch. Decided to take a drive track-side to see what was moving. As it turns out not much was. I did catch one CSX train on the Willard OH sub. Since the precision scheduled railroading started the trains are super long, but there are fewer of them. Some interesting things at the fueling rack to be seen in the Willard yard. A great day for a drive so it felt good to be out in the countryside.

Sandpatch

I like both of your shots Crashton, great composition on both. Your GTI continues to look great. . :encouragement: Yep, Precision Scheduled Railroading has cost me my daily CSX through freights and most recently, a daily NS manifest. :(