Post your Train shots!

Sandpatch

Another great one from your Wayback machine Sandpatch. Love those high hood locomotives! That Southern GE unit leading sure has a bull dog look about it.

Also you really have learned how to scan slides well, quite impressive. (y)

Thank you. One of the few smart things I did while scanning was to keep the initial unadulterated scan file. That way, as my skills improve, I can always start again from scratch and not overwork an edited version.

Sandpatch

The Autumn Express. Each October, here, Hinton WV, holds their annual 'Train Days'. ... Here's one shot just before it passes my place at Brooks. (4 miles north of Hinton).

Wow, that's a nice shot with the fall colors worked in. Hinton Train Days in 2024 are October 11/12/13. Looks like a lot of fun! (y)

wildshots

NO INJURIES

During the night, two idiots decided it would be fun to drive off a crossing and into a moving locomotive, head on. It was my youngest son's train. He was able to slow the train enough before impact that there were no injuries. The two jumped out and ran, but were caught. There was no indication of impairment, no drugs or alcohol found in the car or on them. My son hooked a chain to the vehicle and dragged it back to the crossing to be removed on a flatbed. Images from my son's mobile.

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
NO INJURIES

During the night, two idiots decided it would be fun to drive off a crossing and into a moving locomotive, head on. It was my youngest son's train. He was able to slow the train enough before impact that there were no injuries. The two jumped out and ran, but were caught. There was no indication of impairment, no drugs or alcohol found in the car or on them. My son hooked a chain to the vehicle and dragged it back to the crossing to be removed on a flatbed. Images from my son's mobile.

Glad to hear no one was injured! Glad your son was able to slow down before impact!

Sandpatch

Yesterday, NS hit an SUV in our area after the motorist ignored the grade crossing signals. Driver survives, but got banged up pretty bad and their vehicle is now scrap metal. I don't understand the mentality that decides that risking their life is worth saving a few minutes.

wildshots

Yesterday, NS hit an SUV in our area after the motorist ignored the grade crossing signals. Driver survives, but got banged up pretty bad and their vehicle is now scrap metal. I don't understand the mentality that decides that risking their life is worth saving a few minutes.
These incidents are on the rise. I've wondered if viewing some locomotive vs passenger vehicle video should be part of obtaining a driver's license

Sandpatch

From July 1980 on the former Pennsylvania Railroad mainline west of Altoona at Bennington Curve, two Conrail SD-45s have completed their shove over the Allegheny summit and are starting downgrade. "Helper" locomotives such as these are assigned to mountainous districts to assist trains over steep grades.

I shot this from a campsite friends and I set up for the weekend. Looking either way, the view was fantastic. [Nikkormat FTn, Kodachrome]

1980-07 007 Bennington PA - for upload.jpg

Last edited:

Sandpatch

This was the view to the west and on to the tunnels and summit at Gallitzin. The mainline here was four tracks at this time, but within several years, Conrail slimmed it down to three and it remains that way today. At the time, there also existed a secondary line up the mountain, less than a mile distant out of sight to the left, but it was removed from service in 1981 and US-22 was rerouted on portions of its right of way.

1980-07 025b Bennington PA - for upload.jpg

Last edited:

Robin W

For the CSX derailment near Sandstone WV, I'll put up a couple then try to link to an album I just created in my flickr account.

Following link should be to album. The images you might have seen on CNN or network (or even international feed) were somewhat cherry picked. This album has more content.

Great images! I also followed you on Flickr.

wildshots

Great images! I also followed you on Flickr.
🤣 Hope you like pictures of Gracie. (my dog) Also, if you've ever a mind to, I opened my very small photo blog, back to nature site to the public just this morning. Lots of pics, mostly wildlife, flowers, bugs, butterflies, deer, turkey etc. If you do register, it's free.
awenaturale.boards.net.

Last edited:

Robin W

🤣 Hope you like pictures of Gracie. (my dog) Also, if you've ever a mind to, I opened my very small photo blog, back to nature site to the public just this morning. Lots of pics, mostly wildlife, flowers, bugs, butterflies, deer, turkey etc. If you do register, it's free.
awenaturale.boards.net.
I just registered on your site. I do a lot of canning and have been learning about herbs and herbal remedies. I love wooly lamb's ear. I think I am really going to enjoy your site.

wildshots

I just registered on your site. I do a lot of canning and have been learning about herbs and herbal remedies. I love wooly lamb's ear. I think I am really going to enjoy your site.
Hi Robin. The site is very small. Two of my very most loyal regulars are from the UK. I do love the foraging, preserving, preparing things. I hope you'll share herbals, and recipes. There is a killer Mexican Cornbread recipe on the site. You are most welcome there and please don't hesitate to ask if I can be of any help.

Sandpatch

From December 1977 at Barrington IL, a railroad searchlight signal stands guard. I like the way that a hint of green in the signal lens and red in the diamond-shaped sign show in what's otherwise all black and white. Classic older signals such as these which varied in type from railroad to railroad, have largely been replaced by generic signals from coast to coast, erasing another historic detail from the railroad landscape. [Nikkormat FTn, Kodachrome]

1977-12 EJE Signal Barrington IL - for upload.jpg

Last edited:

Sandpatch

This is an example of the generic signal type that now prevails most everywhere in the U.S.. They're known as "Vaders", referencing Darth Vader and his black hood. [D5100]

2015-01-25 Killian SC NS Signal - for upload.jpg