Post your latest purchases.

BF Hammer

Z MC 105mm lens has already arrived. That's 3 day service with the free shipping option. FedEx ground was unusually efficient once again.

Some test photos in my tabletop photo studio.
2023-06-14_02.jpg
2023-06-14_03.jpg
MoonSwatch 2023-06-14_01.jpg

BF Hammer

I was intentionally slicing the focus thin with the paperweights. In the laser etched solar system crystal ball I was curious about focus right in the middle. The pyramid focus-peaking had the surface of the blue ball as the plane of focus.

BF Hammer

Fred, the paperweights are focused in a specific spot. Rest was intentionally bokeh'ed I guess would be the explanation. 105mm is also a portrait lens so the bokeh is important to check out.

TwistedThrottle

Nice find @BF Hammer
Out of my small collection of Z lenses, I enjoy using the 105 most. Outstanding macro lens and portrait lens! Its on the front of my camera almost every day. I've used it to make money but it's really my "fun" lens. I really enjoy using the Flashpoint MF-12 macro flash kit with it.

TwistedThrottle

Just ordered a Z7ii, the grip, another memory card (Delkin 512GB- it's on a great deal right now at Adorama)and a PD travel tripod. However much I wanted the Z8, its just not in the cards for me right now. I am keeping my Z6 as a video/backup/second body and I prefer the 2 bodies to compliment each other. I do a lot of travel and having 2 bodies that handle very similarly will be beneficial. I justify the need for a second body because I am getting more paid work so the second card slot (and second similar body) is becoming more important to me, (knock on wood, still haven't had a XQD or CFexpress failure). Longer built in timer, (30 seconds is not enough for what I do and using a remote to activate bulb isnt always convenient) and finally, more megapixels which will allow more opportunities for cropping, (a gripe that's bugged me about the Z6 since day 1). No more juggling FX/DX DSLR& Mirrorless. I'm through with that. As much as I enjoyed my DSLR's over the years, they are of little use to me now. I've got my fingers crossed that the z70-200 with the 2x teleconverter attached gives me good results in DX on the Z7ii.

Attachments

• pdttcf1.jpg
    pdttcf1.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 24
  • nkz7m2.jpg
    nkz7m2.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 30
  • inkmbn11.jpg
    inkmbn11.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 27
  • icddcfx1512.jpg
    icddcfx1512.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 30

Danno

Well, I have just received my Smallrig L Bracket for my Z8. I found the box at my door when I got home from the UPS drop-off. I checked the Service Advisory and my serial number is part of the recall. I will have to say the bracket is very well made. It looks as good as the RRS bracket that I have on my Z6 but for about 25% the cost of RRS Bracket.

Clovishound

Not for me, but I got the Pup a new normal zoom for her D5600. Since she is likely to stick with DX cameras for the foreseeable future, I decided to upgrade her 18-55 kit lens. I wanted to get her the Nikon 18-200, but the new ones were all out of stock, and no telling when, or if, they will be back in stock. Her birthday is coming up and I talked to her about it. She was fine with used. I looked at KEH and they had an EX+ for an excellent price. Got it in today, and it looks in extremely good condition. Never bought used gear, other than a couple refurbs, since I was in my 20s and got a used Practica as my first SLR.

It also looks more like a much better lens, compared to the kit lens it's replacing. Metal bayonet, and much more robust looking all the way around. Having a longer zoom ratio should be very convenient for her style of shooting. She sometimes misses shots because of not switching lenses. With this she can cover wide angle to pretty decent tele reach.

bluzman

Not for me, but I got the Pup a new normal zoom for her D5600. Since she is likely to stick with DX cameras for the foreseeable future, I decided to upgrade her 18-55 kit lens. I wanted to get her the Nikon 18-200, but the new ones were all out of stock, and no telling when, or if, they will be back in stock. Her birthday is coming up and I talked to her about it. She was fine with used. I looked at KEH and they had an EX+ for an excellent price. Got it in today, and it looks in extremely good condition. Never bought used gear, other than a couple refurbs, since I was in my 20s and got a used Practica as my first SLR.

It also looks more like a much better lens, compared to the kit lens it's replacing. Metal bayonet, and much more robust looking all the way around. Having a longer zoom ratio should be very convenient for her style of shooting. She sometimes misses shots because of not switching lenses. With this she can cover wide angle to pretty decent tele reach.
Like your Pup, I'm all in on APS-C cameras. I use a SIGMA 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Contemporary lens with my D7500 as a general purpose, walking around lens. It's quite good.

As for buying used gear, I've bought, sold, and traded more than a few bodies and lenses with both KEH and MPB over the years. I've never had a problem with either business.

Patrick M

With temperatures and humidity rising in the UK I decided that hard cases and gel sacs needed replacing with a dry cabinet.

I bough this Spolehli off Amazon - it's 55L and dimensions a bit small, so it was a case (pun!) of trying and seeing if it works.

After raising a book case shelf one level, the cabinet is a perfect fit, conveniently next to my disc station, router and UPS.

While seemingly small, ALL four of my Haselblad lenses and camera fit on one shelf, the Nikon Z8 and 5 lenses fit on two shelfs, leaving room on th bottom tray for the 2x teleconverter. It will be too small for the z 180-600 though. But that's for the future!

IMG_2671.jpg
IMG_2673.jpg

Peter7100

With temperatures and humidity rising in the UK I decided that hard cases and gel sacs needed replacing with a dry cabinet.

I bough this Spolehli off Amazon - it's 55L and dimensions a bit small, so it was a case (pun!) of trying and seeing if it works.

After raising a book case shelf one level, the cabinet is a perfect fit, conveniently next to my disc station, router and UPS.

While seemingly small, ALL four of my Haselblad lenses and camera fit on one shelf, the Nikon Z8 and 5 lenses fit on two shelfs, leaving room on th bottom tray for the 2x teleconverter. It will be too small for the z 180-600 though. But that's for the future!

View attachment 395104View attachment 395105
Patrick, you clearly don't live in Scotland as it has been miserable for weeks now 🌨️🌨️🌨️🌨️🌨️🤣

Clovishound

I got some of my dad's photo equipment when he passed in the 80s. Much of it was stored in the un air conditioned heat and humidity of central/coastal Florida. Several of the lenses had fungus growing in them. I hate to think of what that would do to a modern digital camera.

Clovishound

Got one of these simple flash diffusers today to use with macro work. It's a lot more convenient to use than the small softbox I've been using. It has a habit of staying closed up after putting it on the flash. If you've never seem one used, you just slip the elastic opening over the lens.

41nCAPSEcaL._AC_SL1001_.jpg

Seems to work fairly well.

_DAB3178-SharpenAI-Motion.jpg

Danno

I shifted my gaze from the 180-600 Z lens to something I would get much more use out of... I went with the 24-120 f4 S lens. I am just not a fan of packing the big lenses around, but the old me pushes me to think I can handle it... it will be fun... there is no downside...

Maybe I will wait a while and get the 100-400:unsure::sneaky:

IMG_4687.JPG

Danno

I had pre-ordered this lens and today, my Camera store called me and said it was in. I was NOT going to do it... I was just going to check it out... I lied to myself. the 200-500 is longer and bigger around and heavier. I was very disappointed when I saw the tripod foot. I had hoped the mound would be the same. I hate using a plate, but RRS or someone will have a suitable replacement.

Got to try it out tomorrow... The drive to Lexington and back was crazy. I am a small-town guy these days.

There will be a 200-500 for sale soon. I have to ask the one person who said "if you ever sell it..."
180-600 Z lens vs 200-500 G-1784.jpg

I can hold this one so much better. This is at 240mm 1/6 handheld... I have never done hat with the 200-500

playing with the lens-1791.jpg

Last edited:

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I shifted my gaze from the 180-600 Z lens to something I would get much more use out of... I went with the 24-120 f4 S lens. I am just not a fan of packing the big lenses around, but the old me pushes me to think I can handle it... it will be fun... there is no downside...

Maybe I will wait a while and get the 100-400:unsure::sneaky:

View attachment 395297
How do you like the 24-120, Danno? For some reason, I thought you already had a copy of this lens. :unsure:

Danno

How do you like the 24-120, Danno? For some reason, I thought you already had a copy of this lens. :unsure:
I really like. It is very sharp and stays on my Z8. I am glad I bought it. It has taken the place of my 24-70 f2.8 when I am out. I still us the 24-70 at church.