Post your latest purchases.

weebee

Bought a new camera case in Sept! Downside was it was kind of pricy!
306278616_5607762159269426_7526344316920528026_n.jpg

Haven't been around for quite awhile. Been through a lot of changes. And challenges. Things are somewhat back in order. I hope!

Dangerspouse

After years of struggling to get her small business off the ground, my wife finally turned a bit of a profit last year. It had absolutely tortured her that in previous years she was never actually able to give me much more than warm socks for Christmas (which granted, I really REALLY wanted up here in our sometimes snow covered abode). So this year for Christmas she finally got to make a splash.

I now own the Nikkor 200-500mm f/5.6 AND the 16-80 f/2.8-4.

She didn't pick them out herself, of course. She knew I wanted some better lenses, but that was all she knew. So a week before Christmas she took me down to the camera store where I purchased my D500 (Unique Photo, in Fairfield, NJ), told me her budget, and let me loose.

As it turns out, that very morning I'd gotten an email from Unique Photo with a subscriber's 1-week only code for 15% off any purchase in the store. Plus they had a general Christmas sale going on. PLUS I had rewards points on my account from the D500 purchase. And to top it off, they feature an extensive Used selection, in-store.

The upshot was a 200-500mm that was basically new, but they couldn't sell it as such because they'd scratched the lens hood while demo-ing it (I can see why - the thing has already fallen off twice on me out in my yard!). With all my discounts, it came to just a tick over 700 dollars! That left enough for a really nice used example of the 16-80, which didn't have a lens hood so it was discounted even more. My price: about 300, even. I went in thinking I'd have just enough for the 200-500 alone, maybe, and walked out with two lenses at well under my wife's budget.

BTW, they also had the Tamron 150-600mm there, which I'd also been considering. But after comparing both in-store (the store is huge, and they have all sorts of things placed around the floor, up the walls, etc., specifically for buyers like me to focus on. Plus I had my wife walk briskly up and down an aisle while I tracked her in Continuous with each lens on my D500) I far preferred the Nikkor. It was definitely heavier, and considering I'll be mostly hand holding that really was something I had to think hard about. And I like that the Tamron is weather sealed. But the Nikkor pictures looked so much better in my test shots, and the auto focus seemed so much faster, that the decision ultimately was made in its favor.

Now to find a lens hood for that 16-80, lol....

(I've been away from the forum for a bit, as the holidays are always hectic for me at work covering for announcers who take off. Hope to get back to a bit more involvement here in the New Year as things simmer down. Hope you all had great celebrations, whatever it is you celebrated!)

:)

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
The upshot was a 200-500mm that was basically new, but they couldn't sell it as such because they'd scratched the lens hood while demo-ing it (I can see why - the thing has already fallen off twice on me out in my yard!).

Are you sure you are clicking the hood in place? I've read about issues with that hood though. The hood for my Nikon 80-400mm requires a little bit of pressure to lock in place, but it's very secure.

As for not being weather sealed, down the road you might want to consider a raincoat. I prefer the LensCoat RainCoat for my lenses. Although a raincoat won't alleviate condensation from forming inside, it will help keep the area around the mount dry during rain/snow. When lenses are weather sealed, usually there is an O ring on the mount.

A raincoat is definitely something people need to try first though. Each company has their own way of making them, and they can be cumbersome especially for those not accustomed to using one.

Dangerspouse

Are you sure you are clicking the hood in place? I've read about issues with that hood though. The hood for my Nikon 80-400mm requires a little bit of pressure to lock in place, but it's very secure.

As for not being weather sealed, down the road you might want to consider a raincoat. I prefer the LensCoat RainCoat for my lenses. Although a raincoat won't alleviate condensation from forming inside, it will help keep the area around the mount dry during rain/snow. When lenses are weather sealed, usually there is an O ring on the mount.

A raincoat is definitely something people need to try first though. Each company has their own way of making them, and they can be cumbersome especially for those not accustomed to using one.
Yes, I definitely clicked it into place. I have watched so many video reviews of that lens, and read written reviews online, and almost all of them mention the wonky, insecure hood attachment. It really is almost shockingly bad, to my mind. I may see if I can jury rig some sort of alternate fastener, as off-brand hoods are pretty pricey.

I agree, a lens coat will probably be in my future. I have seen the LensCoat products, and they look very nice. But recently in the Nikon sub-Reddit it was recommended to me that I check out a small brand called "Tragopan", as their lens jackets allow the zoom to work fully while attached. It's a hundred bucks though, so a bit out of my range at the moment. In the meantime, I'll carry a towel and the cheapo cover my wife got me :)

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Adorama sent out an email about their Open Box items. I've been waiting for their Glow EZ Lock 60" Octabox to go on sale, but since it hasn't, I decided to order the one advertised. If you aren't subscribed to Adorama's emails, here is the link for open box items.

bluzman

Decided to replace my Panasonic DC-FZ1000 II. MPB had a Sony DSC-RX10 IV in "Excellent" condition for about 65% of MSRP. I shipped them the Panasonic on Saturday. Probably won't get the Sony until sometime next week. Looking forward to seeing what a bridge camera with phase detection autofocus can do.

Patrick M

Bought a new strap from Black Rapid. I had one years ago, but replaced it with a Pd strap which is superb. However I read on a BCG forum that I’m carrying my z70-200 wrong! I have one end of the strap,on the camera and the oner on the lens foot. Apparently that’s probably the worst way as there’s a lot of stress on the connection flange. The rule of thumb, or guide if you will, is where there’s a lens foot, use that to support the camera, and where there’s no lens foot, use the camera. Someone shared their BR strap with that QD Connector, and I recall Hudson Henry being pretty enthusiastic about it a few months back. Hence the purchase.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Bought a new strap from Black Rapid. I had one years ago, but replaced it with a Pd strap which is superb. However I read on a BCG forum that I’m carrying my z70-200 wrong! I have one end of the strap,on the camera and the oner on the lens foot. Apparently that’s probably the worst way as there’s a lot of stress on the connection flange. The rule of thumb, or guide if you will, is where there’s a lens foot, use that to support the camera, and where there’s no lens foot, use the camera. Someone shared their BR strap with that QD Connector, and I recall Hudson Henry being pretty enthusiastic about it a few months back. Hence the purchase.
I like the Black Rapid Cross Shot Breathe which is an ambidextrous strap. Mine came with a safety tether. If for any reason the strap's fastener comes off of the tripod foot, the safety tether will prevent the lens from going to the ground. It's a pain when changing lenses but looks like they've updated the tether with one that has a spring clip hook.

Patrick M

I like the Black Rapid Cross Shot Breathe which is an ambidextrous strap. Mine came with a safety tether. If for any reason the strap's fastener comes off of the tripod foot, the safety tether will prevent the lens from going to the ground. It's a pain when changing lenses but looks like they've updated the tether with one that has a spring clip hook.
My previous BR safety tether was with two closed loops. now one end is open, and like a regular strap, you can loop it where it’s convenient…so much better!

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I have the Benro Mach3 TMA28A although I don't use it as often as my aluminum Gitzo. Benro's quality is very good, and I don't have any complaints. I wouldn't hesitate to choose another Benro as a tripod because it really is solid.

Dawg Pics

What kind of system are you planning to use this for? Its leg (tube) thickness is type 2 (regular 2x.x mm). It may not suit a 150-600mm lens system.
It says it supports 26 pounds in the specs, so I think it is ok. I am more concerned wiith drift from the wrong head. Looking at the Benro 3-way because it takes some effort to adjust it. I don't want my gear to drift or flop.
I have the Benro Mach3 TMA28A although I don't use it as often as my aluminum Gitzo. Benro's quality is very good, and I don't have any complaints. I wouldn't hesitate to choose another Benro as a tripod because it really is solid.
I have two old aluminum tripods. I think one is an old Benro. I think, for the price, this one will be good enough. If I decide to get a star tracker next year, I'll get a stronger tripod that will be dedicated to just that.Thanks for the recommendation.
Is the Gitzo more sturdy?

For the amount of money I just spent on dental and the vet, I could have a sweet set-up.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
It says it supports 26 pounds in the specs, so I think it is ok. I am more concerned wiith drift from the wrong head. Looking at the Benro 3-way because it takes some effort to adjust it. I don't want my gear to drift or flop.

I have two old aluminum tripods. I think one is an old Benro. I think, for the price, this one will be good enough. If I decide to get a star tracker next year, I'll get a stronger tripod that will be dedicated to just that.Thanks for the recommendation.
Is the Gitzo more sturdy?

For the amount of money I just spent on dental and the vet, I could have a sweet set-up.
I don't think Gitzo makes aluminum tripods anymore. My Gitzo is a long/tall one, not that I need that feature all the time.

Back when I got the Benro, I also tried out a Benro TMA27A which has 2 leg sections vs the 3 sections of the Benro TMA28A (both have twist locks). If I remember correctly, I *think* the reason I went with the TMA28A (3 section) had to do with stability. My memory is a little foggy because that was 4 years ago. But what I tried wasn't the same tripod as the one you are considering. If you have the ability to test one in person, you might want to do so just to be sure.

Dawg Pics

@hark Unfortunately, the few camera stores around here don't carry much in the price I want to spend. I was hoping to see the one I have holding, but the local store only has the TAD27, which has a smaller weight limit.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
@hark Unfortunately, the few camera stores around here don't carry much in the price I want to spend. I was hoping to see the one I have holding, but the local store only has the TAD27, which has a smaller weight limit.
:unsure:
What one is that? The 'A' is for aluminum, the 'C' for carbon fiber. I can't find one without one of the letter designations. What about a TAD28a? That's the 3-leg section of the same model. It's about $10 more though.

Patrick M

Bought a BlackRapid Sport X QD Camera Sling Multi-Terrain Camo as I like the brand and the QD is a great alternative to the older model’s caribiner. I already have a QD foot from Kirk for my z70-200, so I’ve ordered a Kirk QD plate for my camera for when I use shorter lenses. I did get a Sunwayfoto QD plate, but it’s actually too deep for the Z6 and also has a lip which interferes with the flip screen, that’s been returned.

Dawg Pics

:unsure:
What one is that? The 'A' is for aluminum, the 'C' for carbon fiber. I can't find one without one of the letter designations. What about a TAD28a? That's the 3-leg section of the same model. It's about $10 more though.

I wrote that wrong. The one I have in my cart is a 27A model. I think the only one at the store is the 28a. I am sure they are build in a similar fashion. I am just overthinking things as usual. Probably going to purchase the one I have in the cart.