Post your latest purchases.

Peter7100

New Purchase.jpg

Excuse the poor quality photo but just thought I would quickly share my new addition to my Nikon collection :). This older version with the 77mm thread is the one I had been looking for and at £186, I felt it was a good bargain as it seems to be in very good condition. I know this version requires the use of the cameras internal focus motor and I am wondering what the lifetime expectation is for these motors. I sometimes hear that these motors burn out with a lot of use. For the above lens, i will mainly be using for landscapes (probably on my d7100 for now. Don't want to risk my pride and joy D500 internal motor), therefore the focus motor will not be used that much. It's not as if I will be using it for tracking subjects.
If I get the similar results to what I can achieve with my wide angle Canon gear then I could become a full Nikon guy as I will likely sell off my remaining Canon stuff :cool:

TwistedThrottle

Good find!!! If you have a DX camera and want a wide angle lens, that right there is one of the best available! I believe I have the same one, but mine is not the screw drive version, I can use it on my old D40x that has no focus motor in the body. There are lens hoods available on Ebay, if thats something that interests you. I like using hoods especially at night. It helps keep the dew off the front element and helps control stray light.

bluzman

In early April, I posted here that I'd acquired a refurbished D3500/AF-P 18-55m VR lens kit. It was the result of a Nikon Refurbished Camera Sale that had a 10% discount on top of the refurbished price. I've particularly enjoyed how lightweight it is compared to my D7500 and D750 cameras and how good the images are that it produces. Fact is, I've done a lot more shooting with this "entry level" camera than I thought I would.

All of this got me thinking that it would be nice to have a similarly sized DX body but with a fully articulated touch screen and more focus points even if it weighed a bit more. Wait a minute, I thought...you once owned that camera. The very first DSLR I bought was a refurbished D5600. I sold it a year later along with several lenses to help fund my D750/24-120mm f4 kit.

Long story short, I was able to trade my D3500 (body only, I kept the lens) for a lightly used (~ 4,800 shutter count) D5600 on MPB.com. The trade in value was essentially equal to what I paid for the D3500 less the cost of the kit lens. I ponied up the dollar difference to complete the deal this morning and this afternoon I got the tracking number for the shipment. Free delivery is scheduled to be not later than next Friday.

BF Hammer

Just in: an infrared-conversion D600 to replace the IR conversion D80 that took a dump last year. I have been searching for IR conversions among the used Nikon bodies at KEH cameras for months and finally decided to try getting one. Word to the wise, they will not take a test photo and send it to you. I was hoping to confirm what kind of IR filter was installed as there are a handful of different options from the conversion services. With KEH you must roll the dice and return the product if it does not meet your needs.

So far in the first test photos, I think it is a 720nm filter which is just what I wanted. Will be trying out more during the week to verify if it's a keeper.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
No...I don't have a latest purchase to post; however, what I saw today just might become someone else's latest purchase.

I went to Allen's Camera in Levittown, PA looking for info on possibly renting a lens in the future. Specifically I was looking at the Nikon 200-500mm f/5.6 VR or the Nikon 500mm f/5.6 PF VR. Although they don't have the 500mm f/5.6 PF VR to rent, they DID just get a preowned one turned in. It was so new to their stock that they didn't even have a price on it yet. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets listed in Like New condition as it looked to be pristine. Both new and preowned are hard to come by so I doubt it will be around for long.

Peter7100

For only £6.99 (under $10's) from Amazon, I think this is a real bargain. Of course it may not last as long as the Nikon equivalent but is seems to get very good reviews.

IMG_6588.jpg

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
For only £6.99 (under $10's) from Amazon, I think this is a real bargain. Of course it may not last as long as the Nikon equivalent but is seems to get very good reviews. If I stood behind but held the remote close to the front (from over the top of the camera which was on a tripod), it worked okay from my position.

View attachment 361651

Back in February 2012, I bought one that looks identical but is made by Amazon Basics. I purchased it for taking long night exposures of carnival rides. And while it worked somewhat okay, it definitely seemed to work better when standing in front of the camera rather than behind (which is where I stood). Honestly I can't remember if I even have it anymore. When someone purchased my D90, I added some extras in with the body.

71PdOVAmR3L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Dangerspouse

For only £6.99 (under $10's) from Amazon, I think this is a real bargain. Of course it may not last as long as the Nikon equivalent but is seems to get very good reviews.

Like Cindy, I also purchased the Amazon Basics version for my D5500, and it was also under $10 (US). It works great, and I used it quite often. I've read a lot of good things about Neewer products in general, so I imagine you'll be happy with yours. For the price, it's hard to beat!

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
Like Cindy, I also purchased the Amazon Basics version for my D5500, and it was also under $10 (US). It works great, and I used it quite often. I've read a lot of good things about Neewer products in general, so I imagine you'll be happy with yours. For the price, it's hard to beat!

DS, did you have any trouble firing remotely with it? I believe I only used mine with a D90 so it's possible the issue had more to do with the location of where the receiver was located in/on the body of the D90.

Peter7100

Back in February 2012, I bought one that looks identical but is made by Amazon Basics. I purchased it for taking long night exposures of carnival rides. And while it worked somewhat okay, it definitely seemed to work better when standing in front of the camera rather than behind (which is where I stood). Honestly I can't remember if I even have it anymore. When someone purchased my D90, I added some extras in with the body.

View attachment 361660

Cindy, so far I have found the Neewer one to work well providing you are within about 2 metres of the camera. Can’t get it to work from any angle when further away, but that is ok with me for the price.

Dangerspouse

DS, did you have any trouble firing remotely with it? I believe I only used mine with a D90 so it's possible the issue had more to do with the location of where the receiver was located in/on the body of the D90.

No Cindy, I have to say that was never an issue with me. At least not with the Amazon version. I later purchased a different off-brand version from B&H (Vello, I think) for my wife's D3200, and that one was decidedly inferior. The shutter button was smaller, harder to activate (you have to be very precise with a solid push straight down), and both the distance and side-to-side ranges were worse than the Amazon model. I gave it away when I sold the D3200.

BF Hammer

I bought the genuine Nikon IR remote in 2007 right after buying my 1st DSLR. I have to say, I found it cumbersome to have to turn on the IR remote mode on the camera when I used it, and having to remember to hold the thing out in front of the camera on the side where the IR detector is located to have it work. I still have it, it works, and I only will use it for a self-portrait where I am in front of the camera. That is the intended purpose of these items. Actually the one time I worked a low-key wedding outdoors I remember working with 2 bodies where I had a wide lens set up on a tripod, and I used the IR remote for that. I walked around with another DSLR handheld and would just occasionally fire off a shot from the tripod camera using the remote.

I get far more use with an aftermarket wired remote shutter release. They are equally inexpensive to buy, have no coin-cell to run dead, work in all light conditions including high noon outdoors, and you can stand behind camera and it will always work. You also get the half-push focus/exposure read. And then there are the intervalometer type which can also be used to take exposures longer than 30 seconds for astrophotography by setting the camera to bulb mode and programming the shutter on time on the remote. But that is a "you need it when you actually need it" sort of device.

Last edited:

Patrick M

Kase magnetic CPL and 8 stop Filter. This is the 112mm version specifically for the Nikon Z 14-24 f2.8 where the lens hood holds the filters. The good news is that the lens hood fits the holy trinity, so I can use it on the z 70-200.
I have the z 24-70 f4 ( not the trinity f2.8) but they have a step up adaptor for £4.50 so I can use that hood on all my lenses.
beautiful craftsmanship.

391BCCB7-ECF4-4AC7-82A1-DA5CA6D89336.jpg

Dawg Pics

Just purchased the Tokina 11-20 f2.8. I had enough points at Adorama to get an additional $30 off, which covered most of the taxes. Free shipping and includes 1 year drop and spill from my VIP account. So, we shall see how it works out at my astrophotography workshop in September. :)

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
[MENTION=26505]Dawg Pics[/MENTION] - even though the Tokina is a DX lens and the Tamron you considered is an FX lens, personally I think the Tokina is a better choice in its design. Comparing images of both lenses, the Tamron has a more bulbous front element than the Tokina. Due to that, I wouldn't be surprised if the Tamron has more lens flare, and since you are looking for nightscapes, I'm not sure how well it would perform in comparison to the Tokina. If you will be taking nighttime city scenes, undoubtedly there will be lots of lights.

Plus the Tokina is equivalent to around 16.5mm of an FX lens whereas the Tamron on a DX body is equivalent to 22.5mm. So the Tokina will yield a wider view and might be very useful for astrophotography as Peter7100 mentioned.

Looking forward to seeing images taken with it.
:cheerful: