Post your latest purchases.

Dawg Pics

@hark I will definitely put it through some testing to see how it performs. Consideration of lens properties is new to me, so lots to learn. �� I am glad I asked about the Tamron, there was lots to consider that I didn't think of.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
@hark I will definitely put it through some testing to see how it performs. Consideration of lens properties is new to me, so lots to learn. �� I am glad I asked about the Tamron, there was lots to consider that I didn't think of.

Since the Tokina is so wide, I would suggest not using a CP filter. What happens is only a portion of the sky will be affected so the sky will look kind of splotchy (at least on the wide end). But the nice thing is it looks like the lens has threads for a front filter - and if you decide to try an ND filter, just make sure to purchase a slim one. Otherwise, you will probably get vignetting. It's possible you might experience that at the very widest end, but I doubt you would if you zoomed a little.

wev

Contributor
I figured it was time for a new strap...

Strap.jpg

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
I purchased a 3-stop ND filter made by Breakthrough Photography. It's the x2 version which is a little less expensive than the x4. Although I have a couple ND filters for 82mm (to go with a lens I no longer use), I don't want to use a step up ring. This way I can still use my lens hood and have a dedicated 77mm ND filter.

I need to make sure I register the filter within 30 days. Supposedly they have a very generous warranty period but only if the filters are registered. :) And yes they each have a serial number.

91XPhcxJBBL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:

TwistedThrottle

I bought and use Breakthrough Photography filters, I think I have 5 or 6 of them and I have been happy with their performance, but I refuse to register them. What a horrible business practice. "Our name is all over the thing, but we will only cover damage to our filter if our filter breaks from manufacturer defects but only if you have registered the filter through our company and only within the first 30 days after purchase." SMH. It's a 25 year warranty that will not cover damage done to the camera or the lens caused by their filter, only the filter itself so unless you're dropping some serious coin on said filter, I see it as a waste of time. I like buying from and supporting USA companies, but what a ridiculous warranty!
@hark
Use caution when spinning these filters into place, don't over tighten. The difference between X2 & X4 is not just in the layers of protective coatings on each side of the filter, the X4 is made out of brass and the X2 is aluminum. Brass threads will not stick, aluminum has a tendency to stick and can be impossible to remove. I've had one X2 get close to becoming a permanent fixture on a lens, but I used the ol' fat rubber band trick and a bit of patience to get the dang thing off!

Last edited:

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
I bought and use Breakthrough Photography filters, I think I have 5 or 6 of them and I have been happy with their performance, but I refuse to register them. What a horrible business practice. "Our name is all over the thing, but we will only cover damage to our filter if our filter breaks from manufacturer defects but only if you have registered the filter through our company and only within the first 30 days after purchase." SMH. It's a 25 year warranty that will not cover damage done to the camera or the lens caused by their filter, only the filter itself so unless you're dropping some serious coin on said filter, I see it as a waste of time. I like buying from and supporting USA companies, but what a ridiculous warranty!
@hark
Use caution when spinning these filters into place, don't over tighten. The difference between X2 & X4 is not just in the layers of protective coatings on each side of the filter, the X4 is made out of brass and the X2 is aluminum. Brass threads will not stick, aluminum has a tendency to stick and can be impossible to remove. I've had one X2 get close to becoming a permanent fixture on a lens, but I used the ol' fat rubber band trick and a bit of patience to get the dang thing off!

The thing is I don't think their filters are warrantied if someone buys one used. At least that's the way I understood their intention. Thanks for the heads-up on the metal. I will rethink this and might consider opting for the x4 as I'm very familiar with filters that stick (I usually keep a fat rubber band with the filter's box as a precaution). And I'm definitely looking for long-term use with the filter - to use outdoors for portraits instead of opting for HSS.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
[MENTION=26505]Dawg Pics[/MENTION] - B&H has the Nikon mount of the Tokina for $419 (one day sale) while Adorama lists the Canon mount for that price but the Nikon mount at $499. If you paid the higher price, you might want to see if Adorama will price match since it's within 30 days.

If Adorama hesitates, let them know they've been advertising the Flashpoint version of some of the Godox AD strobes on sale, and B&H has been right there matching their prices. Those two stores are usually pretty competitive.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1571175-REG/tokina_atx_i_af120cfn_atx_i_11_20mm_f_2_8_cf.html

Dawg Pics

@hark. I just saw that on the B&H site, but it is now too late for me to call them for a match. Maybe I can take a screen shot and try to get them to lower the price. I don't know if that will work. I think the main difference in price for Adorama is the "free expedited shipping" (cough cough.) Ha Ha. B&H has free standard shipping for that lens.

Thanks for the heads-up. Too bad I didn't see it earlier.

B&H just got some of my money because Adorama doesn't have the tripod head in stock that I settled on.

Last edited:

Dawg Pics

@Peter7100 That tripod head would break some teeth. :distracted:

I decided it has too many issues, besides the rust, to bother trying to repair it. You need a gorilla grip to tighten the knobs enough to lock it down, and then the tilt axis drifts. It isn't exactly compact either.

Peter7100

After many weeks debating with myself on which telezoom to go for I finally decided on the Sigma 150-600.
The main driving factor was the extra 100mm reach and price over the Nikon 200-500. I'm sure the latter is better built and I suspect is quicker to focus on moving subjects. The only issue I have found so far with the Sigma is, for moving subjects it is not as quick to latch on to focus immediately like my Nikon 300mm does.
I carried it around for a couple of hours yesterday and to be honest I didn't find the weight to be an issue and that is coming from someone who a few years ago had a very bad shoulder fracture and dislocation, which has left some movements issue.
Sharpness wise, I am impressed so far, particulary for the purpose of the photo's I take. As it is widely reported about focus issues and docks being required, I was able to establish this lens has never had one attached as I bought it secondhand and the previous owner never used one since he purchased it new. So that might tend to suggest what I thought before that there is good and not so good copies out there.
It's early days yet as I have still to have fun with it and I suspose the big question for me is if it will also make my Nikon 300mm redundant, but it will have to really perform well for that to happen.
My very first image with was a shot of the moon from my back garden, where there is really too much light polution, however I thought the result was not too bad. Exampe below.

View attachment 362778

First pic at 600mm

Moonred.jpg

BF Hammer

Peter, the Sigma 150-600mm C is quite sharp. I have not seen the focus problems others have reported, but I do also have a Sigma dock now so I could update the firmware and customize the function switches.

Don't worry about light pollution with moon photos, it is far too bright in the sky to be visibly effected.

Peter7100

Peter, the Sigma 150-600mm C is quite sharp. I have not seen the focus problems others have reported, but I do also have a Sigma dock now so I could update the firmware and customize the function switches.

Don't worry about light pollution with moon photos, it is far too bright in the sky to be visibly effected.

I had wondered about the colour as 30 mins later when I tried again the orange/red tone had gone and it was just a normal looking moon. I certainly didn’t do any pp on it to affect it. I therefore assumed it was light pollution or something else in the atmosphere?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dawg Pics

@Peter7100
I have seen, many times, an orange/red moon at horizon. It gets lighter as it rises. Prettiest moon I have seen was a full moon rising over Lake Pontchartrain near New Orleans. We were driving over the causeway and watched it go from dark red to red orange to dark orange, to golden and it eventually went pale yellow and then white.

It is caused by light scatter from the atmosphere.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
I had wondered about the colour as 30 mins later when I tried again the orange/red tone had gone and it was just a normal looking moon. I certainly didn’t do any pp on it to affect it. I therefore assumed it was light pollution or something else in the atmosphere?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm on the east side of the USA. There were a few evenings when the moon was a golden color due to the fires out west. Perhaps yours was due to something similar. :confused:

Peter7100

I'm on the east side of the USA. There were a few evenings when the moon was a golden color due to the fires out west. Perhaps yours was due to something similar. :confused:

One fortunate thing about living in Scotland is that it is never warm enough to start random fires from here.
Also when I photographed the moon it was at 80 deg so mainly east, which would be looking in the opposite direction from the US.
I’m still thinking light pollution as it is really bad where I am, although it could equally have been something else in the atmosphere.