Post your Insect shots

John!

4988468955_6ce6c518df_z.jpg

Taken with: D300 on a monopod and 50mm 1.8 on an extension tube.

Last edited:

JDLucas

The Wolf Spider was pretty laid back, so easy to photograph using a Sigma 180mm Macro lens. Used multiple Nikon SB200 flashes and progressively focused very narrow slices from front to rear. Setup a red background and a sandstone rock from the yard and this little guy was pretty cooperative. When finished gave my model a little cricket treat.
Following...is how I used Photoshop CS5 to stack all the images:

· In the Menu Bar select File > Automate > Photomerge > Auto Layout and uncheck Blend Images Together.
· Browse > to folder where your images are stored for merging and select all the image files to be merged then select OK.
· In the Layers pallet select all the image layers you want to focus stack, then go to the menu bar and select Edit > Auto Blend Layers… then in Blend Method > Stack Images check box Seamless Tones and Colors then select OK.
· Now you are ready to crop the stacked image to eliminate the edges, remove the left over artifacts from the merge, clean up the overall image, and adjust the brightness, contrast, color and finally the sharpness.
· You can now save the complete focused macro image.
· Note: The above instructions are for using Adobe Photoshop CS5.
Hope this helps, I think I will try flowers next. Won't need nerves of steel!

Mike150

Thanks JD
The step by step for photoshop was a great bonus for me. I can't wait to try it. I have to go photograph the Granddaughter's (6 & 4) Soccer games today, but might have to carry the macro along just in case I see any flowers (or bugs). I wonder how much trouble I'd be in if I spent the day snapping flowers and bugs instead of the girls?