Post Your Infrared Shots

Englischdude

so... cant do anything with the jpeg you have posted, but had a look at the raw file you sent me and comment as follows:

1. the image is very underexposed which has the adverse effect of alot of detail being lost.
2. the image seems to be very soft, either motion blur or out of focus.

sorry I couldn't be of more help!

Regards
Martin

BackdoorArts

im unsure how i underexposed it i think it was roughly 1600 iso f/3.5 and 30 sec ss. any suggestions what i should use?i will be happy to give it a go

PM me a link to the RAW file. It doesn't look terribly underexposed in the JPEG, but you did some PP to it already. Settings mean very little since it's a filter applied to a camera that's already filtering out much of the UV light. It's like a 30 second exposure in the middle of a cloudy, moonless night - even that might not be enough.

Englischdude

My Xmas tree in IR

irxmastree.jpg

BackdoorArts

Thanks, Martin, for keeping this going. Maybe Ted will join soon?

After a couple months away from here and another couple away from the camera for other reasons I've started finding my muse again, and it seems to be centered around IR. Here's some stuff I've shot in the last few weeks. Please let me know if these don't show up for you - I'm linking from Flickr and using the original image so EXIF is available, but not everyone is allowed to view the original based on my Flickr permissions so it could be a problem.

17265377639_f59d881c3c_o.jpg

17566971715_9782d9a373_o.jpg

17763722408_79de648a90_o.jpg

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod

After a couple months away from here and another couple away from the camera for other reasons I've started finding my muse again, and it seems to be centered around IR. Here's some stuff I've shot in the last few weeks. Please let me know if these don't show up for you - I'm linking from Flickr and using the original image so EXIF is available, but not everyone is allowed to view the original based on my Flickr permissions so it could be a problem.

17566971715_9782d9a373_o.jpg

17763722408_79de648a90_o.jpg

SOOOO glad you've resumed some IR photography! Mmm...a feast for my eyes. ;) Did you lie down on the tracks for the first image? Or did you preview it with Live View?

I logged out of my Nikonites account and viewed this thread as a guest. Your EXIF still shows up. :)

BackdoorArts

Did you lie down on the tracks for the first image? Or did you preview it with Live View?

Lie down on the tracks?!?! Not even on this rarely used freight line!! LOL I tell you what, I never wanted the articulating screen on the D750 but now I miss it for shots like this elsewhere. This was a bit of spraying to get one that had both the right lines and right tilt to it. I'm not opposed to getting dirty for a shot, but this was a bit impromptu and I wasn't quite dressed for the gravel and resin of the tracks.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod

Coming back to this photo...another observation is knowing how much of a stickler you are for fixing perspective distortion...this photo was taken at 18mm yet it lacks the distortion usually found at this length. Nice job! :cool:

BackdoorArts

Coming back to this photo...another observation is knowing how much of a stickler you are for fixing perspective distortion...this photo was taken at 18mm yet it lacks the distortion usually found at this length. Nice job! :cool:

That's 18mm on a DX, so it's not really that wide and SOOC it wasn't that bad.. I actually corrected this manually as LR went too square for me with the Auto perspective correction.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
That's 18mm on a DX, so it's not really that wide and SOOC it wasn't that bad.. I actually corrected this manually as LR went too square for me with the Auto perspective correction.

Yes, I was aware the photo was taken with your D7000, but I'm still impressed with the lines! In the past I've manually set LR's perspective control, and it doesn't always work perfectly. Nice one, Jake! :)