Post Your Infrared Shots

rwdflynavy

10557554_10203631211332582_8716693149771159714_o (1).jpg

Englischdude

Really nice, Martin. I've been carrying my IR camera around a lot and have some shots I need to process, but nothing this nice.

many thanks for the positive comment jake, very much appreciated. As you know, IR photography is more in the Post processing than the photography itself. I spent several hours this evening processing about 50 pics. the most frustrating thing I find about IR photography is the &%§$" lens flare and hotspots!! :mad:

BackdoorArts

many thanks for the positive comment jake, very much appreciated. As you know, IR photography is more in the Post processing than the photography itself. I spent several hours this evening processing about 50 pics. the most frustrating thing I find about IR photography is the &%§$" lens flare and hotspots!! :mad:

I spent a good deal of time learning how the 18-105mm acts with various apertures on that sensor to know which are the least problematic stops to shoot at. Overall it's a pretty darn even lens, but I've spent far too much time saving some of the better shots that just were a little off on the edges. I've almost started leaving a border around my "shot" just to make life easier.

BackdoorArts

After speaking with my brother I am want to do some IR night sky stuff. My understanding, from him, is that IR essentially eliminates some of the noise common to the visible spectrum.

Englischdude

After speaking with my brother I am want to do some IR night sky stuff. My understanding, from him, is that IR essentially eliminates some of the noise common to the visible spectrum.

astro photography, interesting. can you use your current converted d7k or do you need to change your setup? what shutter speeds are required?

BackdoorArts

From what he tells me you simply use the IR converted camera the same way you would an unconverted DSLR. The IR spectrum apparently cuts through haze a little better and it should cut back a pit of light pollution. Haven't given it a go, but now that we're getting dark earlier here I will likely try it some time soon.

Englischdude

From what he tells me you simply use the IR converted camera the same way you would an unconverted DSLR. The IR spectrum apparently cuts through haze a little better and it should cut back a pit of light pollution. Haven't given it a go, but now that we're getting dark earlier here I will likely try it some time soon.

im in, if it is as simple as setting up with a 10 minute shutter speed and going to drink a beer in the meantime!

patrick in memphis

dsc_0022.jpg
any chance I could get some one to try to Photoshop this for infrared...its an old one I shot with a 720nm filter but pse11 either doesn't have the option for channel mixer or I'm not working it right...lol...thanks in advance ...this was a test shot so I don't ex
dsc_0022.jpg
pect an award winner... Lol

Englischdude

dsc_0022.jpg
any chance I could get some one to try to Photoshop this for infrared...its an old one I shot with a 720nm filter but pse11 either doesn't have the option for channel mixer or I'm not working it right...lol...thanks in advance ...this was a test shot so I don't ex
dsc_0022.jpg
pect an award winner... Lol
hi. dont suppose you still have the RAW file?

BackdoorArts

I'm guessing you did not adjust for a custom white balance before shooting, right? Makes it a mess to process correctly since the WB is likely already at 2000 and you can't go any further left. You're going to need to create a custom profile to apply to the RAW file before you move forward with it (here's me telling you how).

And next time, adjust the WB with the filter on before shooting.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I'm guessing you did not adjust for a custom white balance before shooting, right? Makes it a mess to process correctly since the WB is likely already at 2000 and you can't go any further left. You're going to need to create a custom profile to apply to the RAW file before you move forward with it (here's me telling you how).

And next time, adjust the WB with the filter on before shooting.

You made that look so easy! Seriously though...your ability to teach is amazing. :)