Nikon 70-200 2.8

Vermontster

Really glad to see you back here Chris. I hope life is good for you. Welcome back and keep coming. :)
Best wishes for you and your family for this new year.

Marcel

Thanks Marcel - Since the flood from tropical storm Irene hit, I have had to drive by my favorite camera retailer everyday (as it was on the way to the job site). I have not had time to enjoy photography. My work is nearly done on the project and it so happened that I got a Nikonite thread about the 70-200mm last weekend. I read your comments and investigated. One of the folks in the thread was not happy with the sharpness of the lens so I wanted to see it. Come to find out that the original VR may have had some sharpness issues, but the issues were resolved with the VR II. So I stopped in the camera shop and they smiled...apparently they missed me. I treated myself to the lens for all the hours I put in since the flood. I probably should tell my wife..... or not...... we'll see
Best New Year wishes for you as well and to the entire Nikonite family!

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
If you can find the 80-200 F2.8
Its cheaper than the 70-200 and some swear it can hold its owns over the 70-200

I have an old push-pull version of the 80-200/2.8. Great bokeh but slow focus. The 70-200 is on my short list.

Carolina Photo Guy

Thanks Pete. I'll be back to full time here in a short while. I have missed the folks and the challenges. Hopefully everything is good down south there on Planet Mars :)

Since Nasa's funding was cut, those damn robots are pretty much leaving us alone here on Mars.

You have no idea how much trouble it was to keep them from finding Wrebodlep's face again! :)

Vermontster

Got some Canadian beer for Pete and an American note for Jack!!!! It will take me a day or two to personally deliver them. Start holding your breath...

Will V|Photography

I browsed the past few pages but I'm lazy AND have ADD, so I'll just ask. Does anyone have any experience/thoughts on the Tammy 70-200 2.8? I'd love to pick up the Nikon but it is WAY out of my budget at the moment. I've done some research but couldn't get a definitive answer as to whether or not it works with the AF-S system. Thoughts on image quality, handling, build quality, and whatever else you may think is prudent would be greatly appreciated. TIA

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I browsed the past few pages but I'm lazy AND have ADD, so I'll just ask. Does anyone have any experience/thoughts on the Tammy 70-200 2.8? I'd love to pick up the Nikon but it is WAY out of my budget at the moment. I've done some research but couldn't get a definitive answer as to whether or not it works with the AF-S system. Thoughts on image quality, handling, build quality, and whatever else you may think is prudent would be greatly appreciated. TIA

I think Anthony has that lens, you might try looking at his gallery. I remember a series he did of war enactment and the pics were very sharp.
You can also try the following site where you can see pics with different lenses and camera bodies: Advanced Search

gqtuazon

Gear Head
The new Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 isn't too bad also. In fact it is much lighter but not as sharp as the Nikon on the corners but good enough IMO.