Macro using CPL filter

Ironwood

DSC_1510.jpg

DSC_1526.jpg

dullbird

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum only joined a couple of days ago and I'm also new to Macro but enjoying it and have a long way too go! I too have the 105 nikon and love it. You have some wonderfully inspiring photos in this thread Ironwood.

And I was hoping you wouldn't mind me asking a question. My macros are done hand held and in natural light.
I would love to have a bit of versatility by using a speed light. I have an SB800 and while I use it every now and again it is a little bit beyond me and I don't know why but I seem to have a reluctance to just have a go!

So the question I have are you using the Yongnuo in manual or does it have the ability to talk to the camera and adjust according to your camera settings.

If you are in manual what sort of power are you dialling in to the flash typically to get these well balanced shots.

I realise that you have two diffusers. But I would be interested to know your power settings (if you do a sort of set and forget or you constantly change).

Sent from the right side of the brain

Ironwood

Welcome to the forum Dullbird.

Its been a while since I have used this set-up as I seem to have lost my CPL filter, and lately I have been just using my 55mm and the pop-up flash as its quick and easy.

From memory, (its foggy :eek:), I was using manual on full power. You just have to experiment with your set-up, as each will be different amounts of diffusing etc.

dullbird

Thanks for the welcome and the reply

I noticed in this thread that your images popped I'm guessing this might be down to the use of your cpl maybe.

Now you are not using the cpl are you finding the images are still popping?

Last edited:

Vixen

Thanks for the welcome and the reply

I noticed in this thread that your images popped I'm guessing this might be down to the use of your cpl maybe.

Now you are not using the cpl are you finding the images are still popping?

Hiya Lou...fancy meeting you here :D

dullbird

Hey!! Yeah i was on the forum the other day through tappa talk and noticed Dave was on here... So thought i would add it to my tapa list :)

Ironwood

Thanks for the welcome and the reply I noticed in this thread that your images popped I'm guessing this might be down to the use of your cpl maybe.Now you are not using the cpl are you finding the images are still popping? Sent from the right side of the brain
I think they pop because the lighting is right mainly, but I think the 105mm lens benefits from the CPL. The Nikkor 55 seems to give me good results without the cpl, you can see some images in this thread, all the macro insect shots are using the 55mm lens, http://nikonites.com/project-52-s/34650-ironwoods-52-backyard-critters-2016-a.html#axzz4408w1kpg I think you can get any camera/ lens combo to work for you, you just have to work on your technique, lighting is the key.

Last edited: