Macro using CPL filter

Ironwood

Haha. I missed you guys believe it or not. But for a while I just couldn't pick up the Nikon.
Yeah, I can relate to that, I have had a few weeks lately where I have barely picked up my camera.I can't explain what it is, but sometimes we just need a break.

Deezey

Unfortunately mine was due to the loss of my dear friend and Nikon buddy....just didn't feel right for a while getting out and exploring without him.

Ironwood

Fantastic shots in here, Brad! Really like the light with your set-up. Care to post a pic of your DIY rig?
Thanks David.
I will learn how to take a photo with my iPad and post a photo tomorrow, it's past my bedtime now.
I gotta warn you though, my lighting rig isn't real pretty :eek:.

10 Gauge

Some more excellent work you have posted. I really enjoyed that spider having a munch, excellent!

I think I'm going to be picking up a DCR-250 today.... I need some 2:1!

Ironwood

@dh photography , here is some pics that I promised. They are taken with an ipad as I only have one DSLR.

The snoot/diffuser is made with a piece cut off a windscreen sunshade, the type of thing that is used to put inside the windscreen of your car when you park it in the sun, the foam diffuser is 10mm ( 3/8" ) thick.
I could never get photos I was happy with using this set-up until I added the secondary diffuser, held on with a rubber band. The CPL filter is a big improvement also IMHO.

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

Last edited:

Lawrence

Just seen this thread and am amazed at how such beautiful photos can be taken with such an ugly rig! :)
The photos are amazing Brad.
I need to get on to this as I think next month's club comp is macro - all of these shots on here would get honours.

What does intrigue me is the CPL filter and I would think it would be a nuisance and time consuming in macro, what with getting everything (especially focus and DOF) right.
So how about you share your technique with us?

Ironwood

What does intrigue me is the CPL filter and I would think it would be a nuisance and time consuming in macro, what with getting everything (especially focus and DOF) right.
So how about you share your technique with us?
Lawrence, my new technique is the same as my old technique, only change is the Yongnuo flash with the snoot attached and the CPL. filter.
I don't find the filter to be a problem, and it doesn't slow me down. Once it is set, I don't touch it again.

I bought the Hoya HD filter, as it lets more light through than most others.

Ironwood

Man your photos are shop. Are these a heavy crop?
Lawrence, I am not sure what the "shop" means.

Most of my photos are cropped to some extent, I crop to get what I think looks right.
I know some don't like to crop, but I don't see there being anything wrong with it, its just another tool.