Macro using CPL filter

Lawrence

Shop means sharp when spellcheck intervenes.

I agree cropping is within my rules - for sure.

Just had a look at your rig again and it is much bigger than mine. Mine looks a bit more like the one on the "beingmark.com" blog.
I have yet to try the second diffuser and i don't have a CPL for this particular lens.

Hope to be up to a reasonable level by end of August.

Ironwood

Shop means sharp when spellcheck intervenes.

I agree cropping is within my rules - for sure.

Just had a look at your rig again and it is much bigger than mine. Mine looks a bit more like the one on the "beingmark.com" blog.
I have yet to try the second diffuser and i don't have a CPL for this particular lens.

Hope to be up to a reasonable level by end of August.

Today I tried my original diffuser with the onboard flash and CPL filter, no good, not enough light to keep the iso low.

I made the snoot/diffuser about 12 months ago, but rarely used it because I could never get the photos looking how I wanted them, but adding the 2nd diffuser is what it needed. I think the CPL is an improvement too.
Its a bit cumbersome and looks weird, but I will continue using it.

Bourbon Neat

Today I tried my original diffuser with the onboard flash and CPL filter, no good, not enough light to keep the iso low.

Yeah, I gave that a shot this morning with a cpl. Not a one worth saving, the noise was atrocious.

What are the specs to your flash and are you going full on with it? I have a Metz 26AF-1 on order if they ever make them. Very light unit.

So far I have been using only the on board popup and getting good results with the diffusion setup pretty similar to yours. The one drawback is severe reflection from the flash, I was hoping to get rid of that with the cpl. In fact the shots w/cpl, although very noisy, did show quite a bit less flash reflection.

Ironwood

Yeah, I gave that a shot this morning with a cpl. Not a one worth saving, the noise was atrocious.

What are the specs to your flash and are you going full on with it? I have a Metz 26AF-1 on order if they ever make them. Very light unit.

So far I have been using only the on board popup and getting good results with the diffusion setup pretty similar to yours. The one drawback is severe reflection from the flash, I was hoping to get rid of that with the cpl. In fact the shots w/cpl, although very noisy, did show quite a bit less flash reflection.
This is the flash I am using,
Yongnuo YN-568EX Speedlite for Nikon Cameras YN-568EXN B&H Photo

I have been using it set at + 1/3, I don't know much about using flashes, but this seems to give me enough light with my set-up.

Ironwood

GreenAnts preparing lunch....

DSC_0994.jpg

DSC_0996.jpg

DSC_0997.jpg

Ironwood

I have been trying the same lighting set-up using my Nikon 55mm f2.8D with the CPL filter.
While the results seem OK, it is difficult to get the shots, because the secondary diffuser is hitting the leaf by the time I am close enough to achieve focus.
Scares all but the most tolerant bugs away :rolleyes:. Long legged flies are totally out of the question with this set-up.

Sick Black Ant.
DSC_1229.jpg

DSC_1231.jpg

DSC_1233.jpg

Krs_2007

@Ironwood

Brad, fantastic shots and the lighting is perfect. Not sure how I missed this thread, but glad it showed today. I think you might have inspired me to give this world another try. Just need to gather some materials and go practice now that its cooling off.

Ironwood

These last few have compelled me to make another version of my rig. Great shots

Good stuff Lawrence, looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

@Ironwood

Brad, fantastic shots and the lighting is perfect. Not sure how I missed this thread, but glad it showed today. I think you might have inspired me to give this world another try. Just need to gather some materials and go practice now that its cooling off.
Thanks Kevin.
I am glad I have given you some inspiration.
It is just starting to warm up here, and the bugs are starting to play again.