Life in Scotland

Felisek

Roads

All right, I have been too busy with my new 150-600 to take more pictures of life in Scotland. Hence, I'm putting up pictures taken a few weeks ago, taken with this thread in mind. This is what roads in the Highlands look like. These are no longer single-track roads, we are going a little bigger now. Americans, note that the line in the middle of the road is white, not yellow!

Straight into the landscape.

1MG_6085.jpg

Falling rocks.

1MG_6063.jpg

Motorcyclists.

1MG_6070.jpg

Road to Glen Coe.

1MG_6072.jpg

Felisek

Regeneration

This is a residential area in Dundee undergoing regeneration. Old council houses are being removed and replaced with family houses.

Council houses belong to our local authority (the city council) and are rented to people who otherwise couldn't afford place of their own. After many years, these apartment blocks have become dilapidated and uneconomical to maintain. Their tenants are moved to other locations, many of them buying their own properties under the 'right to buy' discount scheme.

The old apartment block, with residents already moved and windows boarded up.

1MG_6424.jpg

1MG_6427.jpg

1MG_6429.jpg

1MG_6430.jpg

Windows are boarded up to stop vandals and squatters getting in.

1MG_6431.jpg

Felisek

Regeneration

Some old terraced house in the same are there to stay. This is a typical inexpensive terrace of homes. Very typical for many places in the country. I'm sure many British Nikonites recognise this:

1MG_6438.jpg

Last edited:

Felisek

Regeneration

Some of the old council houses have been already removed a few years ago and new homes build in their place.

1MG_6425.jpg

1MG_6426.jpg

1MG_6436.jpg

1MG_6439.jpg

Last edited:

Felisek

Invalid attachments

This is weird. After uploading all images I checked that they were OK. Even refreshed the page to make sure everything was fine. And now they all disappeared...

Will try to fix it.

Edit: should be fine now.

Last edited:

Felisek

Highland games

There is nothing more Scottish than the Highland Games, held throughout the year in different parts of Scotland. They consist of several events: bagpiping, highland dancing, heavy events and often additional (not traditional) athletic sports like running and cycling. Let's start with these extra events, before we get to more interesting heavy events.

One of the heats of 90-m sprint.

1MG_6760.jpg

Long distance run.

1MG_6796.jpg

90 m sprint finish.

1MG_6815.jpg

One of the longer distances. There is no age limit!

1MG_6865.jpg

It was this gentleman's 63rd birthday. He arrived last, cheered by the crowd and very happy about it!

1MG_7073.jpg

Felisek

Highland games

Cycling on a grass track. Not traditional, but often included in modern games.

1MG_6841.jpg

Fierce competition!

1MG_6927.jpg

The winner does the lap of honour.

1MG_6930.jpg

Felisek

Highland games

Hammer throw. A metal ball is attached to a wooden shaft. It is thrown overhead, with feet in a fixed position (no spinning like in the Olympic hammer throw).

1MG_6804.jpg

1MG_6835.jpg

Hammer landing.

1MG_6827.jpg

Felisek

Highland games

Weight throw for distance. These things weigh two stones (28 lb, 13 kg) or four stones (56 lb, 25 kg). Very heavy!

Two-stone weight.

1MG_6942.jpg

Four-stone weight. I'd struggle to lift it off the ground, these guy toss it like little toys. Here, an Icelandic big man does a little warm up before the actual event.

1MG_6973.jpg

You can see all the effort in his face.

1MG_6979.jpg

1MG_7002.jpg

1MG_7012.jpg

Felisek

Highland games

The most fascinating event, caber tossing. The purpose of the throw is to tip the caber, which is a huge wooden log, over so it lands straight ahead. Competitors are judged on how close the caber lands to 12 o'clock. In the competition I watched there were several athletes (about 8, didn't really count them) and each of them had three attempts. Only one of them manage to turn the caber (twice). The others failed, i.e., the caber did non turn over and came back. It is a very difficult thing to do!

First, the caber is so heavy, that you need two people to help you put it up.

1MG_7058.jpg

Then, you run...

1MG_7022.jpg

...as fast as you can...

1MG_7050.jpg

1MG_7076.jpg

...and throw!

1MG_7078.jpg