Life in Scotland

Felisek

Waste

To continue the topic of dog poo, here is where dog owners are supposed to dispose of their dog bags.

1MG_5410.jpg

These signs are all over the country. They always amused me. Apologies for the quality of this particular sign, I couldn't find any better tonight.

1MG_5424.jpg

Last edited:

Felisek

Transport

Ferry doesn't pop up first in your mind when you hear "transport". But there are many islands in Scotland and people use ferries a lot. Also, I had a ferry trip today, so let me start with the Oban-Craignure ferry crossing.

1MG_5494.jpg

1MG_5451.jpg

1MG_5453.jpg

1MG_5454.jpg

1MG_5488.jpg

1MG_5510.jpg

Fortkentdad

Nice

My Mom was born in Scotland and I've been to "the old country" as Nanny called home twice, once as a lad in 1967 and then on our 25th Anniversary in 2000. The year of the terrible animal disease that closed many places - but upside - very very few tourists to contend with. Cut my Nikon SLR teeth on that trip in 2000 having bought a F60 for the trip. Developed 600 photos (almost all of which were keepers - thanks to auto-everything setting).

Your images brought back memories of those trips.

May need to copy your idea and start a thread about my 'modern rural life from little house on the Canadian prairie' .
Got my creative juices stirring.

Maybe others will follow your lead.

Felisek

Sheep

You cannot ignore sheep in Scotland. It is not New Zealand (with over 7 sheep per capita), but with 6.6 million sheep in the country you see them everywhere.

White, black, white with black faces. All sorts. And it is lambing season, so lot's of little ones.

1MG_5540.jpg

1MG_5556.jpg

1MG_5592.jpg

1MG_5596.jpg

1MG_5597.jpg

1MG_5723.jpg

Felisek

Machair

I promised something specific to Scotland. Machair (ma-herr) is a type of fertile sand found in coastal areas of Western Scotland, in particular in Outer Hebrides. It looks weird: brilliant white sand and grass growing on it.

1MG_5612.jpg

Felisek

Roads

This is a bit topic and it might keep going for a while. Let us start with the tiniest of them: single-track roads.

In the remote parts of the Highlands and Islands some of the roads are no more than dirt tracks. Notice grass growing through asphalt (yes, it is asphalt!). This road hasn't been resurfaced for ages.

1MG_5951.jpg

1MG_5950.jpg

Felisek

Roads

Some more single-track roads. Slightly better surface quality. See the passing places marked with black-and-white posts in the first picture?

1MG_6043.jpg

1MG_5593.jpg

1MG_5740.jpg

Felisek

Roads

Spectacular coastline road on Mull. Single-track road with passing places.

1MG_5730.jpg

1MG_5731.jpg

Below I stopped (for a short moment, you are not supposed to park there) in one of the passing places.

1MG_5739.jpg

Fortkentdad

Thanks for the memories
When we went to Scotland I figured I would only tackle one new driving trick - using the other side of the road - and not add remembering how to drive a standard shift. Automatic cars for rent were few and far between. Found one on line from an independent operator - I felt like a rich man for three weeks driving my BMW. Not sure how I felt about the bright yellow "CAUTION OVERSEAS DRIVER" sticker across the whole back side of the car. But it was warranted.

2001 Scotland045.jpg

Shot with my Nikon F90

Felisek

Housing

Let's have a look at houses in the western Highlands and Islands. These parts of Scotland are sparsely populated and in the rural areas houses are usually far apart.

This picture was taken from a distance (across a strait) to show typical distances between houses.

1MG_5813.jpg

Second house on the right from closer distance. It turns out to be a terrace with three houses. It stands alone and commands truly excellent views!

1MG_5578.jpg

An isolated group of houses and some farm buildings.

1MG_5591.jpg

Felisek

Housing

Some of the houses are very remote.

1MG_5577.jpg

The house below is on a tidal island of Erraid. It is cut off from the main island of Mull for half of the time. There are no roads and no vehicles on the island. The only access is by boat. There is a tiny community of crofters living there. They "heat the cottages and water with woodburning stoves, bathe in peat water, drink rain water, use outdoor composting toilets, work in the gardens and live a life very close to the land and the elements."

1MG_5763.jpg

Felisek

Signs

This pertains to the previous signs about dog waste.

1MG_6205.jpg

Do not walk too fast!

1MG_6206.jpg

This sounds a bit harsh:

1MG_6183.jpg

Entry to this field is free. The bull will charge later.

1MG_6213.jpg

Last edited: