Jake's Backdoor Hippie-palooza, 2014 Edition

BackdoorArts

One more for the day, Selfie With Tiger Lily

D71_2298.jpg

BackdoorArts

Not sure how ya keep it steady enough to do this, but I've tried this a few times, and I always get MUCH MORE than just the zoom streaks... great shot, and I'll keep practicing.

It's only 1/4 sec, so that's a good thing in terms of movement. It's also a short throw on this zoom, 16mm out to 8mm, so while you get a lot of movement, it's not a crazy amount of change in perspective. There are lots of throwaways from this outing. There was also a lot of work done to pull out the details of the shed on this one. Here's the shot SOOC...

D71_2251.jpg

...and THIS... WICKEDLY cool shot! Not your normal perspective, and I love it!

Thanks. I was admonishing myself for not dragging my butt out on a humid morning as I knew they'd bloomed and would have dew on them, so I just went out. Got about 10 shots taken before it started to rain.

Vixen

Into The Wormhole

View attachment 104215

Playing with zooming while shooting handheld.

WOW! I love how these zoom shots of your have worked out Jake. :D This is something I have also been meaning to give a try. For some reason I thought it would need a focal point, as in a main subject, but that is not so as these pics you've done look great. It's the movement that makes the shot :D Thanks for your explanation on how much zoom & shutter speed you used, coz I was wondering about that too. Might give it a go today even :D

BackdoorArts

WOW! I love how these zoom shots of your have worked out Jake. :D This is something I have also been meaning to give a try. For some reason I thought it would need a focal point, as in a main subject, but that is not so as these pics you've done look great. It's the movement that makes the shot :D Thanks for your explanation on how much zoom & shutter speed you used, coz I was wondering about that too. Might give it a go today even :D

I've found while you don't need a focal point, you need something that you're trying to capture with the pull. I've yet to work out a science to it. The goal with these was to give the subject I wanted to capture enough time at the one extreme to imprint on the frame so that you'd know what it was. There were some other shots that didn't yield this, but were still kind of cool (SOOC)...

D71_2249.jpg

It's a neat effect that can add feel to certain subjects, like that old cellar door...

IR1_0100.jpg

I'm finding that anything slower than 1/4sec makes handholding and getting a clear shot difficult. Stick it on a tripod with an ND filter and you can do some really nice stuff outdoors, giving you time to pause at two spots. Indoors that's a little easier since you can control light.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
Wow, wow, wow! I had to pick my jaw up off the floor! As the first image came into view, it was breathtaking. I certainly didn't expect to see anything else close in beauty with any other photos in your post, but as I scrolled down and the other 2 images came into view, all of them offer their own beauty and appeal. Super nice, Jake. :) Did you apply HDR to the first one?

And I thought for sure the EXIF of the first one would be the D7100 because it is insanely sharp--what a surprise to see all of these are the D600. It is a remarkable camera for sure! :cool:

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
The lake shot and the train are exceptional!!! Beautifully done, Jake!
And it is another one of Jake's photos that gives me the impression of 3D--as I don't have depth perception. It looks more real to me than seeing something like this in person.

BackdoorArts

Thanks, all. The first two were things I saw out of the corner of my eye on the way home from meeting a friend for drinks. Camera was in the car, but I was past each of them and made myself pull over, let traffic pass and turn around to go take it. The lake is more a small pond on someone's property where I'd learned a lesson about not stopping when I didn't capture a great shot of 3 kids fishing on a Sunday morning. The deer I loveed because I generally don't see them chest high in something. There were others and I tried to get a shot with a fawn, but this was the best of the bunch. Neither of these are HDR.

The train was sort of a conscious decision. Driving to meet a friend for breakfast I saw the sun breaking through the overcast and wondered where I could make a picture. There's a train yard on the edge of town, so I figured I could use the tracks as a setting, but was thrilled to see an engine parked there (a rarity). Went 3 shot HDR just because it was easier than trying to pull something out of a single image. I don't know that I would have been able to capture the depth of detail in the clouds any other way.