Jake's Backdoor Hippie-palooza, 2014 Edition

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
Not only a totem pole but one decorated with feathers. As much as I don't like looking at bugs, this one is rather fascinating! And I wasn't aware any of these could generate a rash. Good to know! :)

BackdoorArts

Not only a totem pole but one decorated with feathers. As much as I don't like looking at bugs, this one is rather fascinating! And I wasn't aware any of these could generate a rash. Good to know! :)

My wife found this out after carrying them around to put in a better spot for a picture. Thankfully she found out when a friend told her not to do that, not the hard way.

BackdoorArts

Clear-wing Hummingbird Moth

20140725-D71_1795.jpg

20140725-D71_1806.jpg

20140725-D71_1826.jpg

This sucker moves almost as fast as a Hummingbird, so unfortunately all the shots I got of it with its tongue curled and flying are slightly OOF. Here's the best of that bunch w/ a bit of "Shake Reduction" applied to clear it up...

20140725-D71_1830-Edit.jpg

Last edited:

sonicbuffalo_RIP

love the hummingbird moth...flowers are beautiful....we were playing putt-putt in Syracuse last week and my SIL calls the flowers Bon-Bons or something like that. I'd love to have some growing in our backyard.

BackdoorArts

love the hummingbird moth...flowers are beautiful....we were playing putt-putt in Syracuse last week and my SIL calls the flowers Bon-Bons or something like that. I'd love to have some growing in our backyard.

It's called Bee Balm. Once it gets established it grows like a weed. Takes a couple years but they get thick and dense. We spread new mulch last year and some of it died back, but it'll be back next year.

Tami Jo

Clear-wing Hummingbird Moth

View attachment 103163

View attachment 103164

View attachment 103165

This sucker moves almost as fast as a Hummingbird, so unfortunately all the shots I got of it with its tongue curled and flying are slightly OOF. Here's the best of that bunch w/ a bit of "Shake Reduction" applied to clear it up...

View attachment 103166

These are fabulous! I have only seen 1 Hummingbird Moth ever and that was just recently. So unique!

sent from my galaxy tab 2

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
Here's a shot I've been trying to get right for the last week. I need a decent 10 foot free standing ladder to do what I want, and the ability to carry it 1/2 mile to where I need it to be without the cops towing my car from the roadside (I came this close to a ticket for an abandoned vehicle last trip). It's not what I envisioned, but in trying to find something else from what I did get I think I came up with something I'm pretty happy with.

84719-jakes-backdoor-hippie-palooza-2014-edition-20140417-d80_9512_hdr.jpg

I had to laugh when the following YouTube video showed up in my Facebook newsfeed. Even Apple uses these types of solar panels to generate energy. Pretty interesting to learn it from you first, Jake. :)

BackdoorArts

Alas, the cool weather here in NJ has been great for the electric bill and my mood, but awful for our garden. Cold snaps have kept our tomatoes and pepper plants from reaching any kind of potential harvest. Alas, here is the worst of them, a veritable Charlie Brown Christmas Tree of tomato plants...

20140728-D62_6766-Edit.jpg

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
Hmm...I'm surprised only because last week a neighbor gave us some tomatoes from her garden. She said she gave away lots of tomatoes to friends and family, too. You aren't that far away for your temps to be that much cooler so I wonder what's up with it? Do different varieties of tomatoes ripen at different times perhaps? :confused:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Something's wrong Jake, look at ours:

tomatoes.jpg

I'm no gardening expert, but maybe it could have something to do with your soil or watering...?

Sorry to have hitch hiked your thread to brag about my tomatoes. :)

BackdoorArts

We've got other plants that are doing far better, and our tomatillos and squash are going gangbusters. Not sure precisely why, but I suspect it was a rather cold, but not frosty, set of evenings soon after the tomatoes went in. Same variety and source we plant every year. Just one of those things.