Jake's Backdoor Hippie-palooza, 2014 Edition

BackdoorArts

Don't get me wrong. I'm not knocking your self portrait. It is a well executed shot, the lighting is good .as well the post processing. (I could do without the selective coloring on the eyes however, but that's just personal taste.)

On the Ansel Adams reference, I would say that any black and white shot of trees and mountains is a black and white photograph.

I didn't think you were, but I wanted to be clear that the concept of a self portrait is a long-standing one that has much less to do with the pure narcissism exhibited in the "selfie". Sure, it can be argued that any time one decides to capture a permanent representation of themselves that there is some degree of vanity and narcissism involved, a self portrait - for me at least - differs from the selfie in that, 1) its purpose is to invoke some meaning or emotion other than "look at me!!", and 2) more time was spent snapping the image than spent thinking about taking it.

Van Gogh and DaVinci never did selfies, in fact, I'd say it's near impossible to paint one (see rule #2). And while I suspect there were occasional selfies taken in the film days (I recall taking quite a few at weddings where a disposable camera was placed on every table), it wasn't until a camera lived in your pocket 24x7 that the real selfie was born. Not that you can't take a self portrait with a camera phone, or a selfie with a DSLR...

20140806-D71_3581-Edit.jpg

...but considering them as synonyms does a disservice to all those for whom portraiture is a serious study, and for whom lighting means something other than bathroom fluorescents.

BackdoorArts

So a friend on Facebook, with an apparent case of Attention Deficit Disorder, nominated me to do the B&W challenge "because I think it would be great to see you do it", not realizing I'd done it before. So after the 5 Day B&W Challenge died here in 10 days (imagine that), I figured I'd post stuff in this thread. I'm on Day 2, so here are the first two and a candidate for day 3 (in no particular order).

20141201-D75_1877-Edit.jpg

20141201-D75_1879-Edit.jpg

20141203-IR1_0337-Edit.jpg

BackdoorArts

Some mornings you just get forced to take a break in the middle of eating breakfast.

20141206-D75_1988-Edit.jpg

Fancy two light set-up - window photo-right, table lamp 8 feet to the left. Black bed sheet backdrop and a piece of smoked tempered glass on a folding table. I love fancy studio setups. :)

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Some mornings you just get forced to take a break in the middle of eating breakfast.

View attachment 127360

Fancy two light set-up - window photo-right, table lamp 8 feet to the left. Black bed sheet backdrop and a piece of smoked tempered glass on a folding table. I love fancy studio setups. :)

Nice one, Jake! And it would be an impressive entry in this week's symmetry contest. Just sayin'.......... ;)