:: I Had the OLPF Removed From my D750 ::

Not sure I see your point, but no, it didn't.

As I said, Nikon moved away from installing OLPF's starting in 2013 (if memory serves) when both the D5300 and D7100 were released, both without OLPF's.

I have always wondered why the decided to put it in the D750. I know you removed yours early on. How has it been in the long run now?

Horoscope Fish

I have always wondered why the decided to put it in the D750.
Pure hypothesis on my part but I suspect Nikon wanted the D750 to be a serious contender for people who intend to shoot video extensively. I don't shoot video myself, so I may be speaking out of turn when I say this, but I'm under the impression that moiré patterns are more likely to be a problem when shooting video (??).

I know you removed yours early on. How has it been in the long run now?
I did have it done pretty quickly so it's hard for me to do any kind of long-term pre/post-removal assessment since I've done the vast majority of my shooting without the filter. I'll go out on a limb and say it might "up the ante" a little on getting the most out of the body, meaning it forces you to have really good shooting technique. For instance, you know how putting pro-level glass on a body that has been used previously with consumer-grade glass can sometimes require you to improve your shooting technique? Yeah... Sort of the same thing with having the OLPF removed. There is a definite improvement in sharpness but you also have to do your part. Hope that analogy makes sense...

For anyone reading this thread and asking themselves if having the OLPF removed from their D750 (or any other camera body) is something I suggest they do, I would say it's definitely NOT for everyone. It's not cheap and I'm confident it will void your Nikon warranty (if that's a consideration). That being said, yes, I'm glad I had it done; but that's me and doing so suits my type of shooting. I also don't shoot video... at all. Anyone who does should probably proceed with double-caution. So, yeah... In short, I would advise anyone considering having the OLPF removed from their camera to first consider how they use it and urge them to do their own research before proceeding.

you know how putting pro-level glass on a body that has been used previously with consumer-grade glass can sometimes require you to improve your shooting technique?

I know that moving from my D7100 to my D750 meant I had to learn how to shoot again. The D750 is a lot more demanding to shoot than the D7100 was. I also ran into the same problem when I got the 150-600. I had to work at shooting it to get results I was happy with. I think some people think that they can get a better camera and automatically get great photos. Really good photos that hard work. I hope to get there one day.

Lawrence

I know that moving from my D7100 to my D750 meant I had to learn how to shoot again. The D750 is a lot more demanding to shoot than the D7100 was. I also ran into the same problem when I got the 150-600. I had to work at shooting it to get results I was happy with. I think some people think that they can get a better camera and automatically get great photos. Really good photos that hard work. I hope to get there one day.

LOL well that is me once again getting confirmation that I won't ever go full-frame as I am still trying to improve my shooting technique with my D7100.

LOL well that is me once again getting confirmation that I won't ever go full-frame as I am still trying to improve my shooting technique with my D7100.

You are getting there very fast. You have come a very long way since I have known you. I went full frame for a couple of reasons. One was a few additional features that are not available with the DX cameras but the main reason was that I felt I had gone just about as far as I could with the D7100. That any my wife needed an upgrade so she has the D7100 now.

Bill16

Other than I have the wonderful D800e, I can only say I love my Nikon. I am happy with my work with it, even if that work would be considered sub-par in comparison to other photographers' talents.

So no bragging from me, for sure. But I have gotten good enough that this camera suits me great, and I don't regret my move to it. :)

Bill16

PS. But I highly recommend you know what your getting into, no matter which Nikon upgrade your looking to go to, because these are huge costs to just be guessing. Thousands in my case. So be very sure what your really want and how much you want it, or regret can be a very bad place to be. Often better glass may be the happier choice, because better glass will often be the choice eventually regardless later on. Lol :)

But I think choosing a Nikon model without a OLPF is a great choice, if like HF and myself you don't shoot video. I have no clue how much a difference it might make in video. Lol :)