:: I Had the OLPF Removed From my D750 ::

10 Gauge

I'm very interested in this. I don't shoot any video and have a serious addiction to pixel peeping. Sounds like this might be the hot ticket. .

Did you ever get around to uploading any samples?

Horoscope Fish

I'm very interested in this. I don't shoot any video and have a serious addiction to pixel peeping. Sounds like this might be the hot ticket. .

Did you ever get around to uploading any samples?
I haven't, but I can... No problem.

Anything in particular you want to see in the shot? Bikini clad women will require some degree of prior notice. :D

Bill16

Oooooooh good test! Is it legal to photograph paper money up close or macro? But it sounds like a great test, though the patterns might set off what the low pass filter was meant to block!lol :)

I'm going to try it sometime when i have a bit of paper money using my D800E!:)

Anything with fine detail would be good, maybe some paper money where the micro printing is or similar?

sonicbuffalo_RIP

Oooooooh good test! Is it legal to photograph paper money up close or macro? But it sounds like a great test, though the patterns might set off what the low pass filter was meant to block!lol :)

Everybody uses plastic nowadays....that should be a good test. Not!

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I don't know about in the USA, but here in Canada it's legal to photograph money (paper bills) as long as you don't print it the same size as the original. You could print a 8x10, a 16x20 or with a macro lens just a part of it and you wouldn't have to worry.

sonicbuffalo_RIP

I don't know about in the USA, but here in Canada it's legal to photograph money (paper bills) as long as you don't print it the same size as the original. You could print a 8x10, a 16x20 or with a macro lens just a part of it and you wouldn't have to worry.

I like the colors in Canadian bills. They're very cool looking!

Horoscope Fish

I'm not much of a macro shooter but I'll get some shots uploaded to Dropbox and put a D/L link here as soon as I can. Probably more landscape/cityscape sort of shots since that's what I tend to shoot but I'll keep fine detail in mind.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Anything with fine detail would be good, maybe some paper money where the micro printing is or similar?

From the sounds of it, this member is simply interested in seeing how much sharpness is evident with the low pass filter being removed.

I think you may be referring to moire, Bill. And it is a good suggestion for Horoscope Fish to photograph something where moire might be an issue just to see how well it handles the problem.

10 Gauge

I'm not much of a macro shooter but I'll get some shots uploaded to Dropbox and put a D/L link here as soon as I can. Probably more landscape/cityscape sort of shots since that's what I tend to shoot but I'll keep fine detail in mind.
I'm thinking maybe shoot it with your 85 or 70-200 @ 200 at the nearest possible focus distance. We should still be able to see the evidence of fine detail in a paper bill I'd assume when peeping @ 100%.

Horoscope Fish

I'm thinking maybe shoot it with your 85 or 70-200 @ 200 at the nearest possible focus distance. We should still be able to see the evidence of fine detail in a paper bill I'd assume when peeping @ 100%.
Okay, I'll see if I can accommodate this request. Now I'll just need some paper money...

Horoscope Fish

Okay, I've uploaded seven .NEF files I took this morning.

There are no shots of currency yet (I don't carry cash) and these shots are not meant to be great art, I just thought they represented average shots with lots of detail (buildings and plants and what not). Some are closeup, some have a lot of depth. All shots were taken using my Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art series lens at various apertures and at ISO200. I use Highlight Protected metering so if some of them look a little underexposed in the shadows, that's probably why.

This link will take you to the Dropbox folder: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/uggq4e219afwjzr/AAA983tL9L_P7M4bW5A5yBq8a?dl=0