:: I Had the OLPF Removed From my D750 ::

10 Gauge

Thanks for the uploads! There's definitely a ton of super fine detail. I really wish we had an unmodified body to take the same pix with side by side to really know what kind of extra resolving power this mod makes, but it definitely helps!!!

Horoscope Fish

Thanks for the uploads! There's definitely a ton of super fine detail. I really wish we had an unmodified body to take the same pix with side by side to really know what kind of extra resolving power this mod makes, but it definitely helps!!!
I'm putting the number at about 30%; as in images are about 30% sharper overall for having had the OLPF removed. I fully admit I'm pulling that number out of my butt, understand this is all very subjective and so forth and so on and I'm not going to argue with anyone about the number because I think the images speak for themselves. My putting a number to what I'm seeing is just meant to be a helpful guideline, it should not be interpreted as scientific analysis. I invite everyone to take a look for themselves and decide for themselves if they're interested. All that being said, I have had time to compare several shots taken with the same camera and lenses, both before and after, The Surgery and having done so I feel confident my estimation not *that* far off. If asked I would say the improvement is significant, but not earth-shattering.

What I really like is how little sharpening I need to do in post'. The lightest touch of High Pass filter, or USM, is all it takes.

10 Gauge

Definitely contemplating sending my body off for this but don't want to be without it. I wish Life Pixel wasn't a weeks shipping time away from me. It'd be gone almost a month. :( :( :(

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk

10 Gauge

A week to get there, 10 days to do the mod, and a week to get back. Factor in the weekends, it probably would be a month for us east coasters. That is without paying for priority shipping methods and expedited service on their end (which would put it out of the "worth it" range price wise, for me at least).

TieuNgao

I downloaded 1 photo from Horoscope Fish's dropbox and view the 100% zoom. I was impressed with the details.
I tried the same thing with my photo (D750 + Nikon 50mm f/1.8G) and was equally impressed. See photos below.

Original:
AA-Original.jpg

100% zoom:
AA-100zoom.jpg

10 Gauge

The D750 definitely takes amazingly sharp images even with the OLPF in place. One of my recent squirrel shots zoomed in to 100% shows every hair in the tail finely detailed, I have a hard time believing you could pull out any more detail.

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk

kondado

Hi everybody, I hope that at least the OP is still subscribed to this thread, since no one has posted again since july.

First of all, many thanks to 'Horoscope Fish' for posting this very useful information + RAW photos. About a few days ago I don't know what happened (well I do, but I don't want to go into detail) and I did the worst thing after dropping a camera... yes, I scratched my sensor filter (I guess it's the IR, which sits in front of the AA / OLPF, right?).

I am thinking about sending my just a few months old D750 to LifePixel. My main use is and probably will be, for quite some time to come, pure photography, although I'd like to give video a try, here and then.

Now, taking away the AA / OLPF, is said to possibly become a problem for recording video. On the other hand... moiré is as likely to appear in pictures as it is in videos, right? Put another way... it is, for the most part, as IMPROBABLE to appear in video as it is in pictures, isn't it?

Thanks all in advance and kind regards from the Canary Islands, Spain (southwest to Morocco, but still spanish ;))

PS: I understand that retouching moiré in videos can be WAY more challenging (and taxing to your computer's processor) than removing it in a still picture. That's actually my main concern...

Last edited:

Horoscope Fish

Hi everybody, I hope that at least the OP is still subscribed to this thread, since no one has posted again since july.

First of all, many thanks to 'Horoscope Fish' for posting this very useful information + RAW photos. About a few days ago I don't know what happened (well I do, but I don't want to go into detail) and I did the worst thing after dropping a camera... yes, I scratched my sensor filter (I guess it's the IR, which sits in front of the AA / OLPF, right?).

I am thinking about sending my just a few months old D750 to LifePixel. My main use is and probably will be, for quite some time to come, pure photography, although I'd like to give video a try, here and then.

Now, taking away the AA / OLPF, is said to possibly become a problem for recording video. On the other hand... moiré is as likely to appear in pictures as it is in videos, right? Put another way... it is, for the most part, as IMPROBABLE to appear in video as it is in pictures, isn't it?

Thanks all in advance and kind regards from the Canary Islands, Spain (southwest to Morocco, but still spanish ;))

PS: I understand that retouching moiré in videos can be WAY more challenging (and taxing to your computer's processor) than removing it in a still picture. That's actually my main concern...
Hello there...

I saw your post and wanted to reply... Unfortunately I can't be of any help answering your question because I have no practical knowledge regarding moiré when shooting video with my D750. Shooting video is something I've never really done at all, really. . :(

Hopefully someone else will come along that can post something that will be of some actual help.

kondado

Hi Horoscope Fish, thanks for answering! At least now I know I'm not alone in the dark... or in the forum. ;)

Maybe if you just tried to take your OLPF-free-D750 ;) and shoot some short clip of fabrics with slow panning movements, at different distances? -- say between minimum focus distance and up to 2 meters. I would be really, really, really thankful if you could try that (no need for uploading the videos). And in case you would try... maybe also recording some fences, again with some zoom and/or panning.

Any help is greatly appreciated, before I decide to take the jump... I actually will have to find out if the spanish customs aren't too dumb to understand that the camera was already mine, before starting the LixePixel (USA) process..

Aidan316

Hi, I know this is super late to be posting, but I only just got enough money to buy my own D750, and I wanted to see the photos to know the difference with no OLPF, but the DropBox is 404'ed so I can't see them.

Horoscope Fish

I Had the OLPF Removed - Did it hurt ? What is it ?
OLPF stands for Optical Low Pass Filter; it's also known as an Anti-aliasing Filter. The purpose of the filter is to help prevent the appearance of moiré in both still images and video. OLPF's do this by softening and blurring the image. Having the filter removed improves color rendition, sharpness, and detail in your photos. The potential downside, of course, is the possibility you will see moiré more strongly in your shots if and when it does appear. I have nearly 10K actuations on this body and no moiré problems so far.