Hark 2020

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I haven't seen much of any wildlife lately except for this juvenile Red-Tailed Hawk. Today it was sitting in the same 1/4 mile area where I've spotted it in the past. And the lighting was stellar. :) I was only able to take a few photos before it flew off. Eventually it returned to one of the wires where I've photographed it in the past. But its direction to the sun was entirely different, and the quality of the light just couldn't compare.

_DSC3117 low res.jpg

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I haven't seen much of any wildlife lately except for this juvenile Red-Tailed Hawk. Today it was sitting in the same 1/4 mile area where I've spotted it in the past. And the lighting was stellar. :) I was only able to take a few photos before it flew off. Eventually it returned to one of the wires where I've photographed it in the past. But its direction to the sun was entirely different, and the quality of the light just couldn't compare.

View attachment 329319

Great shot Cindy!

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Photographing a Blue Heron has been on my bucket list for a few years. Two days ago that finally happened. :) When I posted in a local Facebook group and mentioned I'd still like to photograph a fox and a coyote, I was given some leads. :cool: They aren't the kind of wildlife you think you'd see in the suburbs. But maybe later this year....

_DSC3383 low res.jpg

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I removed the branches from the images I posted yesterday. Looks like the hawk caught a mouse.

_DSC3452 remove branches low res.jpg

_DSC3465 remove branches low res.jpg

_DSC3444 low res.jpg

Vertical crop from a horizontal image.

_DSC3484 low res.jpg

Last edited:

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I let our dogs out this morning and saw this squirrel sitting on a neighbor's fence post. I shot a few frames in continuous - the squirrel barely opened its eyes. So I will check on it in a little while to see if it is still there.

_DSC3499 low res.jpg

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
All of these were cropped from their originals. The image I submitted in the Birds weekly challenge is a further crop of the 3rd photo.

_DSC3611 low res.jpg

_DSC3638 low res.jpg

_DSC3603 low res.jpg

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
What happened with the squirrel Cindy? He's so cute. I hope he was OK

It hadn't moved when I took the photo other than to barely crack open its eyes like they are in the pic. Ten minutes later I went out to check on it, but it was gone. So I'm guessing it was just tired.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I let our dogs out this morning and saw this squirrel sitting on a neighbor's fence post. I shot a few frames in continuous - the squirrel barely opened its eyes. So I will check on it in a little while to see if it is still there.

View attachment 329593

I'm sure @Vixen will be happy to hear an update on the squirrel. :)

So this morning I saw a few hairs of its tail showing just over the top of the fence. So once again I made the kissy noise. First it gave me the impersonation of Wilson from Home Improvement (anyone remember that show?). :beguiled:

_DSC3697 low res.jpg

Then after talking to it, it peeked over a little more. I left some birdseed for it before going back inside. Both of these images are cropped quite a bit.

_DSC3713 low res.jpg

Woodyg3

Contributor
Squirrels really stretch out and look dead to the world when they sleep. The whole time, though, they are ready to zip away from danger if needed.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Squirrels really stretch out and look dead to the world when they sleep. The whole time, though, they are ready to zip away from danger if needed.

That's good to know. Usually they take off and run for cover. Wilson was back this afternoon so I just ran to the store to get a container I can fill with birdseed and put closer to where the squirrel hangs out. We do get squirrels at our bird feeder, too, but figured I'd try to keep something closer.

Vixen

I am glad to hear this Cindy. I love squirrels. Been 50 yrs since I've seen one. None in Australia (except maybe in a zoo but even then I'm not sure on that one)

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Someone on Facebook suggested I get some peanuts in the shells for Wilson. So yesterday I left a few out for him, and he was thrilled. Today I put some under the bird feeder. As you can see, his feet are dirty from hiding them in the dirt. Then he was patiently waiting for more.

_DSC3825 low res.jpg

_DSC3826 low res.jpg

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Looks likje you have a new pet! :encouragement:

Nooo! I don't want to encourage him to come close to me. We've had squirrels in the past that we've fed although this one does seem to be more tame.

​​​​â€s​Cute till he/she decides to make your house home.

All the attic vents are screened in and covered with louvers, and the chimney has a cap on it. But I've heard people mention having a squirrel get inside through their chimneys.

We have 2 dogs and 2 cats, and the dogs chase away any animals (but not birds). So I put the peanuts out when the dogs are in the house. ;)

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
@hark If you have Jays in the area, they will go after the peanuts.

Only once in a while do I ever hear them although we used to have several many years ago. Not sure whatever happened to make their numbers dwindle. :( But it's good to know since at least one shows up once every month or two. :encouragement:

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Yesterday Wilson was resting on the fence so I put a few peanuts up on the top of the white vinyl fence. He'd take one, run back to the wooden fence post, then eat it.

_DSC3843 low res.jpg

Later yesterday afternoon I went out in search of a landscape scene for the weekly challenge. On my way home, I spotted this cloud in the distance. There wasn't any place to pull over on the highway so I had to wait until I got closer. The sun rays started to dissipate but fortunately were still pretty nice when I finally got to photograph the view.

_10K2280 low res.jpg