Hark 2020

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
This is the new design for memorial benches at this park. Previously the benches were made out of wood slats on concrete bases, but the wood slats weathered, splintered, and in some instances broke. This appears to be made out of a wood-look type of resin.

_10K2971 low res.jpg

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Here is another memorial bench I photographed today. For some reason, I hadn't saved the file as a jpeg...only as a PSD.

_10K2963 low res.jpg

Whiskeyman

This is the new design for memorial benches at this park. Previously the benches were made out of wood slats on concrete bases, but the wood slats weathered, splintered, and in some instances broke. This appears to be made out of a wood-look type of resin.

View attachment 345507

I've seen and used that style of benches before. The ones I saw were marked as being manufactured with 100% recycled plastics.

They did seem to be a bit hotter than the old wooden ones.

WM

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I've seen and used that style of benches before. The ones I saw were marked as being manufactured with 100% recycled plastics.

They did seem to be a bit hotter than the old wooden ones.

WM

I didn't sit on it but hadn't given any thought to it possibly being hotter. :hurt: It definitely might because plastic would be hotter to sit on than wood (remembering back to the days of vinyl car seats). Many of the wooden benches weathered requring new slats - and that cost adds up over time. Plus with the previous concrete bases, people were moving the benches. These new ones are cemented into the ground.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Yesterday while photographing this scarecrow, an older couple stopped to talk. The man carried a Nikon D810 with a MagSphere on an attached flash. He mentioned seeing a thin bird house with a really small hole and said a hawk was sitting on top. I knew he meant one of the bat houses (made by a local Boy Scout troop). Then he showed me his image - it was a Red-Tailed Hawk. So when I finished here, I went to check out the bat house.

_10K3010 low res.jpg

Wow, I was really surprised to see the damage done to the bat house opening. Obviously bats must have been using this house although perhaps they moved to a different house. I know of at least 3 bat houses at the park. These bat houses are elevated on very tall poles - maybe 15 feet tall.

_DSC1936 low res.jpg

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Yesterday while photographing this scarecrow, an older couple stopped to talk. The man carried a Nikon D810 with a MagSphere on an attached flash. He mentioned seeing a thin bird house with a really small hole and said a hawk was sitting on top. I knew he meant one of the bat houses (made by a local Boy Scout troop). Then he showed me his image - it was a Red-Tailed Hawk. So when I finished here, I went to check out the bat house.

View attachment 347031

Wow, I was really surprised to see the damage done to the bat house opening. Obviously bats must have been using this house although perhaps they moved to a different house. I know of at least 3 bat houses at the park. These bat houses are elevated on very tall poles - maybe 15 feet tall.

View attachment 347032

First time seeing a bat house with the opening at the top. Looks well used.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
First time seeing a bat house with the opening at the top. Looks well used.

I've never seen any other bat houses besides the ones at the park. I'll definitely search online to see how others are made. If the holes are closer to the bottom, then it certainly would help alleviate the hawk trying to get them. Of course I'm assuming the majority of damage was done by the hawk.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I had a number of images on my SD card since my hard drive was full. Yesterday I photographed more memorial benches and after deleting content from my computer, I transferred the photos. Some of these image were from the fall. The snow images were taken yesterday after we received a total of 8" Wednesday into Thursday.

It seems the only way I'd be able to upload these in order is if I do them one at a time. :( Sorry they are in a backwards order since I uploaded all of them at once.

_10K3258 low res.jpg

_10K3254 low res.jpg

_DSC0518 low res.jpg

_10K3219 low res.jpg

_10K3211 low res.jpg

_10K3199 low res.jpg

_10K3131 low res.jpg

_10K3123 low res.jpg

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
One more bench photo for now. There is a Facebook group for people who have memorial benches for loved ones who passed. Someone took a photo of this bench when the ground was snow covered, but the name wasn't identified. So I went in search of identifying the bench. The clouds were really ominous. I took some photos and walked up the path photographing other memorial benches. On my way back to the car, I passed the bench again. This time the sun broke through the clouds forming sun rays. I knew the family would really appreciate seeing something unusual like this.

_10K3300 low res.jpg