Hark 2019

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I drove past this sign a couple weeks ago and decided to return to take a photo. When I was a kid, I remember seeing barns with advertisements painted on their sides. This reminded me of those although these are signs that are fastened to the building - not painted directly on the stones.

_DSC9871 low res.jpg

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
A juvenile green heron at the park this afternoon. The bird was so dark in color, initially I thought it was a cormorant. When I got a better look at it, I realized it must be some type of heron. It flew off before I was able to get too close. Both images are cropped somewhat. I'm still amazed with the D7200. :)

_NIK0645 low res.jpg

_NIK0647 low res.jpg

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Pennsbury Manor (William Penn's former homestead) had their farm animals out in the pasture yesterday.

_DSC1983 low res.jpg

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Tested out a mint Nikon 70-200mm f/4 VR yesterday and am very impressed. These are heavily cropped down to exterior dimensions of @ 5.1" x 7.1" from 20x13.

_DSC0063 low res.jpg

_DSC0070 low res.jpg

_DSC0073 low res.jpg

_DSC0077 low res.jpg

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Three from today. One is a female red-winged blackbird - might even be the same one I asked about the other day. It was also taken at the same park in the same area.

_DSC2050 low res.jpg

Next up is a Robin.

_DSC2024 low res.jpg

And this is either a moth or a butterfly. Since the body is somewhat thick, I'm guessing a moth. :confused:

_DSC2077 low res.jpg

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Three from today. One is a female red-winged blackbird - might even be the same one I asked about the other day. It was also taken at the same park in the same area.

View attachment 311717

Next up is a Robin.

View attachment 311718

And this is either a moth or a butterfly. Since the body is somewhat thick, I'm guessing a moth. :confused:

View attachment 311720

Looks like an Palamedes Swallowtail Butterfly Cindy.
https://www.butterfliesathome.com/palamedes-swallowtail-butterfly.htm

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I was out looking for something to shoot for the Diagonal weekly theme. Since the instructions said to use diagonal lines to bring the eye into the subject, this is the one I chose for the challenge. Stairway to a Train Station.

_10K0131 low res.jpg

These other two were contenders. In hindsight, the last one probably would have been a better choice for the diagonal challenge. It has an HDR feel to it, or even a painterly feel, but it was neither. Tonal Contrast and Detail Extractor via Color Efex Pro 4 gave me the results for that last image.

_10K0123 low res.jpg

_10K0109 low res.jpg

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Green Heron at the park. It's surprising a bird that doesn't appear to have much of a neck can extend it so far.

_DSC2132 low res.jpg

_DSC2125 low res.jpg

_DSC2141 low res.jpg

_DSC2142 low res.jpg

_DSC2099 low res.jpg

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
looks like a tricolor blackbird in pic 2 Cindy

Yes, I forgot to mention it, Roy. It's a male Red-Winged Blackbird. There are many more males than females at the park, and if I had to guess, I'd say the park has more male Red-Winged Blackbirds than any other types of birds during the warm months.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Yesterday I went to the usual spot looking for the Green Heron. Instead there was a dog running around the cove chasing the birds. The dog was just having a little fun. ;) So I decided to make a photo op out of it. The dog's owner was going to call it, but when he saw me taking pics, he resumed fishing. A short time later, another man walking 2 smaller dogs walked over. This dog made a beeline for them (5th & 6th images) and was very good to those dogs. When this dog's owner saw the other 2 dogs, he immediate spoke commands in Russian. This dog obeyed right away and ran right to him.

_NIK0742 low res.jpg

_NIK0744 low res.jpg

_NIK0745 low res.jpg

_NIK0746 low res.jpg

_NIK0749 low res.jpg

_NIK0750 low res.jpg

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Numbers 3 and 5 are great action images.

Thanks, Jeff. :) Most of the time the dog had its butt facing me so not easy to get good images. The dog really wanted to get the geese but couldn't. Its excitement was so enjoyable to watch I couldn't help but chuckle at its antics.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
There is a Veterans Flag Display at a park this weekend, and I knew I wanted to take photos. All of these were with my D750 - didn't even take a DX body because there were specific shots I really wanted to get. The event really starts tomorrow which means many people will be present. That's why I went today for these.

_10K0295 low res.jpg

_10K0305 low res.jpg

_10K0314 low res.jpg

_10K0316 low res.jpg

_10K0359 low res.jpg

_10K0377 low res.jpg

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Here's one taken with my D7100 at a park event yesterday. This is the only one I had time to edit so far.

DSC_4078 low res.jpg