Grainy Noisy Photos ?? with examples Help Required.

Horoscope Fish

Don we dont think so .....we shoot weddings sometimes 3 in a weekend with up to 1500 pics on each ( 3 cameras clocks locked with gps) Upload to lightroom which puts the 3 cameras is shot order and then perfectly clear the lot . After that each is individually checked /cropped /adjusted or deleted. Takes about 8 hrs to sort each wedding.
If you shoot in FINE the files are too big for a 4gb memory stick and take too long for the customer to load up.
Speed and profit is the king.
Could you post some of the wedding photos you've done? I'd like to see a few.

Nikon Newb

i didn't want to start a new topic for a similar problem as this topic was started for,so here goes.

The kit I'm using is D3200 lenses 18-55mm VR2 & Nikkor DX AF-S 35mm F1.8G

i read various replies etc to my original post in this topic & tried out various solutions & i'm still very unhappy with the performance of the camera the lenses & myself for buying it.

i have been shooting various images on a tripod with a cable shutter release & at iso 100
i'm shooting on all four M A S P & i've also tried spot centre weighted & matrix metering & i cant seem to get any image to have the lovely smooth gloss like sharp image i desire.

everything seems horribly grainy at iso 100 & I'm also shooting in Large Fine Jpeg & also some images in RAW
i've basically tried everything i can think off or was told to try & yet i'm only happy with one image i took of my dog with the whole background blown out.

are my lenses the issue ? am i too far away from my subject with these lenses i also have VR switched off when using the Tripod & shutter cable as advised on here when using the 18-55mm VR2 lens & trying to shoot at the 18mm end as i read the lens was at its best there.

Help please before a D3200 meets my floor at a ferocious pace.

PS all of my equipment is New from main dealer nothing is or was bought used.

i've added images hopefully the correct way with metadata etc so experienced forum members can view them.

Thanks.

View attachment 174548View attachment 174545View attachment 174546

Horoscope Fish

i didn't want to start a new topic for a similar problem as this topic was started for,so here goes.

The kit I'm using is D3200 lenses 18-55mm VR2 & Nikkor DX AF-S 35mm F1.8G

i read various replies etc to my original post in this topic & tried out various solutions & i'm still very unhappy with the performance of the camera the lenses & myself for buying it.

i have been shooting various images on a tripod with a cable shutter release & at iso 100
i'm shooting on all four M A S P & i've also tried spot centre weighted & matrix metering & i cant seem to get any image to have the lovely smooth gloss like sharp image i desire.

everything seems horribly grainy at iso 100 & I'm also shooting in Large Fine Jpeg & also some images in RAW
i've basically tried everything i can think off or was told to try & yet i'm only happy with one image i took of my dog with the whole background blown out.

are my lenses the issue ? am i too far away from my subject with these lenses i also have VR switched off when using the Tripod & shutter cable as advised on here when using the 18-55mm VR2 lens & trying to shoot at the 18mm end as i read the lens was at its best there.

Help please before a D3200 meets my floor at a ferocious pace.

PS all of my equipment is New from main dealer nothing is or was bought used.

i've added images hopefully the correct way with metadata etc so experienced forum members can view them.

Thanks.

View attachment 174548View attachment 174545View attachment 174546

If you could upload the photos instead of attaching them, that would be far better.

Use the "Insert Image" button on the toolbar (third icon from the right):
Instert Photo Button.jpg

Last edited:

10 Gauge

From what I can see they look fine, they just lack the extra touch of being post processed to help the images come alive. I'm not seeing any noise in those photos.

Horoscope Fish

Okay, that's better...

Those images don't look noisy to me but they do look a little soft... One thing I notice you're shooting at f/22 which probably isn't helping; f/8 probably would have been better.

Also, have you adjusted the in-camera "Sharpness" setting on your camera?

Here's one of your shots processed and sharpened up a bit... Do you find this acceptable?
Sharpened and Balanced.jpg

Last edited:

Nikon Newb

when i view them at 100% in Capture NX-D or photoshop or light room the images are of poor quality & not smooth
but very grainy looking when viewed at 100%.

as the name confirms i'm a beginner not pro but i thought shooting at iso 100 with correct exposure on a tripod with shutter release cable the images would be of excellent quality.

below is one of the very few images i have taken where i thought thats of good quality not grainy etc at 100% even though its at iso 200

DSC_7552.jpg

Nikon Newb

Okay, that's better...

Those images don't look noisy to me but they do look a little soft... One thing I notice you're shooting at f/22 which probably isn't helping; f/8 probably would have been better.

Also, have you adjusted the in-camera "Sharpness" setting on your camera?

Here's one of your shots processed and sharpened up a bit... Do you find this acceptable?
View attachment 174556

no i think those images are of horrible quality & in all honesty i could take better on my Iphone i have changed my sharpness in my phone settings to plus 7 in vivid i tried the various settings there too vivid neutral etc & im not happy with any of them.

someone must be able to understand what i mean with these images they are ie too sharp noisy grainy not smooth & glossy etc like you would see when pros shoot sports landscapes scenery etc.

if those images are good quality i think ill be sticking with my camera phone as too me they are horrible grainy photos way to grainy & sharp.

ill try & add another image that i thought was decent but any decent photos all seem to be when i'm very close to the subject is this due to my lens focal length see previous posts.

Nikon Newb

I cant imaging any situation where i would use a 35mm lens for that type of shot @ f22 for 1/5th of a second.

as I said beginner buying equipment for the first time getting started if love a d4s & 70-200mm f2.8 & various other expensive lenses but my budget says no.

mikew_RIP

Just had a look at the exif and according to that you have in camera sharpening set to 2 and every thing else set to 0,that would give you very poor jpegs like you are getting,you must set the camera up for jpegs or edit if you use raw/

Horoscope Fish

Just had a look at the exif and according to that you have in camera sharpening set to 2 and every thing else set to 0,that would give you very poor jpegs like you are getting,you must set the camera up for jpegs or edit if you use raw/
Confirmed. Sharpness setting is at the factory default.

As I routinely suggest, adjust the Sharpness setting to +7 and adjust Saturation to +1.

Nikon Newb

From what I have read the RAW to JPEG conversion in camera is is nikon capture ..you set the sharpness/contrast/noise reduction /Active D and the result is the same as doing it on your computer....
Don has access to my site and may comment but putting my web address on here is a no no as you get too many Google search problems

my vivid setting is at sharpening 9 & saturation 2 & everything else at 0

if anyone can suggest a setting to try i'm happy to give it a try as it stands im not pleased with results from the camera at all unless as i said previously i'm very close to the subject with either of the two lenses i have at my disposal.

Nikon 18-55mm VR2 & 35mm F1.8G DX.

knowledge is a wonderful thing trouble is we all start off at the same learning curve.

Nikon Newb

i took over 200 images on the day tying just about every metering & picture control & focus mode & AF Area mode all at iso 100 to 800.

below is another image from the said 200 using the vivid profile & Plus 9 sharpening & plus 2 Saturation.

anyone has any suggestions or advice I'm very happy to learn & try any advice offered.

I had to adjust image size as it was above 10mb for upload.

DSC_7823.jpg