Grainy Noisy Photos ?? with examples Help Required.

Not sure what lens you are using but there is a good rule to go by when you are starting out like you are. When hand holding your camera the shutter speed should match or exceed the lens focal length. In other words if you wanted a sharp, shake free shot with a 50mm lens your shutter speed would be 1/50th sec or faster. If you are using the 18-55 that came with the camera then for now till you know more about photography I would not shoot slower than 1/60 sec for any reason. 1/90sec would be better. No need for a tripod at these speeds. Set you ISO to auto with the max a ISO1600 and minimum shutter speed at 1/90sec and that is done in the same place in the menu as AUTO ISO. Set the camera to P for Program for now just to get a letting experience and get used to getting a few good shots. MAster this and then move on to more advanced techniques

Copyright infringement has just taken place,i can never remember this or know where to find it when the question is ask, so i have copied it to to paste later,all credits will be given to Don and publication fees paid :D

I copied it form someone else and made it a post template so I can pop it in fast. You may have it available. look when you are posting on the menu bar on the far right side. Drop down box. It may be a moderator only thing. Not sure.

Blacktop

I'm actually surprised how you're not getting noisier pictures at that high ISO on your D3200. I don't dare push my D7100 past ISO 1600, but then I really despise noise.

Nikon Newb

a photograph i took today thankfully much better than previous grainy attempts due to my iso being too high.

image is of Harland & Wolff shipyard Belfast Northern Ireland UK.

thanks for the replies.

Attachments

• DSC_3278.jpg
    DSC_3278.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 290

adityasoman

As you are using a tripod for the images.I would suggest you to turn off Auto ISO.Stick to lower ISOs 100-400 (800 max).Use the Aperture Priority (A) mode.Dial in the Aperture say f11 . Let the camera meter for you and adjust the shutter speed.
Switch off the VR when shooting on a tripod as someone has already suggested
Always try to insert the image so that the exif data is visible (improved shot)

IMHO
Why carry a tripod when you have paid for VR? The birders have shown it makes no difference to turn VR off.
Why not set the auto iso to 100-800 at min 1/60 and let the computer do the work
Why use F11 and get into diffraction area.,.f5.6 or f8.
Why adjust things by hand when the computer is much faster...? Missed the shot .....

I dont get any grainy pics with my D3200 and have sent samples to the OP who I think is now sorted.

aroy

I you want minimum grain (from noise), then use ISO 100, and for Architecture and landscape use aperture priority with F/8 or even F/11(for large DOF)
I suggest that you desist from using "P" mode as well as auto ISO. If your lenses have VR then, try these settings
. ISO - 100
. Mode - "A"
. Aperture - F/8
. VR on lens - ON
. AF - AFC
. Metering - Spot if you want the central part to be perfectly exposed (the rest may be blown or under exposed as the case may be), or Matrix if you want the whole frame to be used for exposure calculations.
. File - RAW

As such even in my D3300 I desist from going beyond ISO 400, so ISO 3200 on a D3200 would be quite grainy.

Nikon Newb

When shooting at night (photography) what is max Iso to be at
i'm shooting in manual fine jpeg is 800 iso mentioned above the cameras safe limit day or night
with without flash nikon sb700 flash.

10 Gauge

Night shooting depends on how you are trying to capture your image. Pump up the ISO if you're trying to catch details in a dark or poorly lit setting. Keep the ISO lower if you're trying to get an artistic style shot of something that may be lit up and the rest of the photo can be dark. There are a ton of variables for night shooting to be able to give you an ISO setting to adhere to.

Example; if I were trying to get a picture of my dogs on their bed at night with only the light from a nearby room as my light source I'd shoot high ISO to properly expose the dogs. If I were in the same setting but wanted to take a picture of something on my TV I could keep the ISO lower. Not the greatest examples, I know.

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Nikon Newb

current setup i'm using at the moment body Nikon 3200 with kit lens 18-55mm VR2 & flash Nikon sb700 &
manfrotto MKC3-H01 tripod when required.

Below is a photo i took of one of the tall ships visiting Belfast Northern Ireland.
DSC_3876.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_3881.jpg
    DSC_3881.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 349

10 Gauge

Shots like that you'll need to compensate with ISO and for that camera I'd say you're right with sticking with 800 as your high number. You'll really start to notice the noise beyond that.

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk

current setup i'm using at the moment body Nikon 3200 with kit lens 18-55mm VR2 & flash Nikon sb700 &
manfrotto MKC3-H01 tripod when required.

Below is a photo i took of one of the tall ships visiting Belfast Northern Ireland.
View attachment 167942

Why such a fast shutter speed? It is bright outside and nothing it moving. You could have shot at half that speed and it still would not have been anywhere near to slow. With that you would have been able to shoot at ISO 100.
Have you done any setting in "Picture Control? The photo looks a littl "Flat" to me. Try using the Vivid setting and remember bump up the sharpness to at least 7 or higher in Any of the Picture control setting you are using.

Nikon Newb

Why such a fast shutter speed? It is bright outside and nothing it moving. You could have shot at half that speed and it still would not have been anywhere near to slow. With that you would have been able to shoot at ISO 100.
Have you done any setting in "Picture Control? The photo looks a littl "Flat" to me. Try using the Vivid setting and remember bump up the sharpness to at least 7 or higher in Any of the Picture control setting you are using.

i realise my shutter speed was way too fast for stationery object i have my sharpness at +7 and my saturation +1 on the standard profile.

aroy

I would still suggest shooting RAW and when ever possible at ISO 100. That way you get best possible IQ with minimum noise. If you are not familiar with RAW PP, download Nikon Capture NX-D from Nikon site and use it. You will be surprised at how much better the images turn out to be after a bit of PP.

Its nice Don to see someone brave enough ,particularly a Mod telling people to push the sharpness up to +7 or more .
I have the D3200 as a spare and dont have any problems with sharpness or dull pictures and I always shoot Large basic +9 and auto iso ..The only time I did use it at a wedding for the speeches ( flash),when the grip gave trouble on my other D7100 and you could not tell which was shot on the D7100 or the D3200.

Good call.

Its nice Don to see someone brave enough ,particularly a Mod telling people to push the sharpness up to +7 or more .
I have the D3200 as a spare and dont have any problems with sharpness or dull pictures and I always shoot Large basic +9 and auto iso ..The only time I did use it at a wedding for the speeches ( flash),when the grip gave trouble on my other D7100 and you could not tell which was shot on the D7100 or the D3200.

Good call.

If you are not going to shoot in RAW and edit then you should at least shoot in Large-FINE. You are throwing away to much shooting in Basic

Don we dont think so .....we shoot weddings sometimes 3 in a weekend with up to 1500 pics on each ( 3 cameras clocks locked with gps) Upload to lightroom which puts the 3 cameras is shot order and then perfectly clear the lot . After that each is individually checked /cropped /adjusted or deleted. Takes about 8 hrs to sort each wedding.
If you shoot in FINE the files are too big for a 4gb memory stick and take too long for the customer to load up.
Speed and profit is the king.

Nikon Newb

I would still suggest shooting RAW and when ever possible at ISO 100. That way you get best possible IQ with minimum noise. If you are not familiar with RAW PP, download Nikon Capture NX-D from Nikon site and use it. You will be surprised at how much better the images turn out to be after a bit of PP.

thanks downloaded that there = Nikon Capture NX-D from Nikon site :cool:

From what I have read the RAW to JPEG conversion in camera is is nikon capture ..you set the sharpness/contrast/noise reduction /Active D and the result is the same as doing it on your computer....
Don has access to my site and may comment but putting my web address on here is a no no as you get too many Google search problems

Last edited: