GQ's Photo Adventure

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Nice sharp shots Glenn! and I nice quick example of focus fine tuning. I think some folks shy away from that feature which sounds technical, but is really very simple.

Thanks Rick. I only bother with longer primes and I also don't even attempt to adjust the zoom lenses. For those who have longer primes, it is worth conducting the AF tune with that lens.

Whiskeyman

11750506873_c451c10765_c.jpg
[/URL]
D3S0972 by gqtuazon, on Flickr

Till my next adventure...:eagerness:
How would they ever know? Unless you posted it online, or something... :friendly_wink:

Love the shots, Glenn.

WM

gqtuazon

Gear Head
My Tokyo trip went well for me. To my surprise, I didn't have to spend a lot of money.

I found a used camera store and they had this beauty on display. It was $20 (converted), Nikon SB-20 that was designed for film cameras. I originally bought it as an external flash for my Fujifilm X-10. After testing it on my Fuji camera, I then gave it a shot with my D3s. Guess what? It works in Manual mode but no iTTL.

This will provide me a lighter fill flash. It uses four AA batteries and it can be bounced flash too. :eek:

Nikon SB-20 006 by gqtuazon, on Flickr

Nikon SB-20 002 by gqtuazon, on Flickr

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Nice find with the flash. Since I wasn't aware of this one, I had to do a double-take when I saw it...it looked like a film canister on the top! ;)

I still have my two SB28 flash units because they will still work in manual as you said. I can't see selling them for the prices they cost now, and if I'm in a pinch, they are in like new condition and will work well for me.

Your SB20 sure does look like it is a compact size--pretty nice for light weight gear that can pack a punch! :)

Whiskeyman

Since I will be braving the shopping malls tomorrow with my family, I will do my post ahead of time.

Although Japan does not have black Friday during the month of November, their sale is normally held starting New Year's Day and may go on until the 13th of January. Most clothing stores bundle a bunch of clothes together and sell it a reduced price.

My 365 project version will include product evaluation and share some photography tips instead of just sharing a single picture each day. I won't be able to submit a picture everyday but I will try to keep things interesting.

This post will be about the importance of checking the focus accuracy of a prime lens which is my Sigma 85mm f1.4 lens.

I discovered that this lens was back focusing and it was easily corrected after registering it on my camera and added +10. Some cameras do not have this feature so it may not apply to you.

The single focus point was on the second battery on the left.

Auto Fine Tune backfocus by gqtuazon, on Flickr

Corrected Auto Fine Tune (+10)

Auto Fine Tune Corrected +10 by gqtuazon, on Flickr

Great idea to test and fine tune auto focus. I'm going to attempt this with your technique.

WM

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Nice find with the flash. Since I wasn't aware of this one, I had to do a double-take when I saw it...it looked like a film canister on the top! ;)

I still have my two SB28 flash units because they will still work in manual as you said. I can't see selling them for the prices they cost now, and if I'm in a pinch, they are in like new condition and will work well for me.

Your SB20 sure does look like it is a compact size--pretty nice for light weight gear that can pack a punch! :)

Thanks Hark. It is pretty light compared to my SB 900/800 but it does provide a nice even output. Compared to the SB 300/400, this is indeed a bargain.

Sent from my iPhone.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I finally received my Kirk L bracket and I added some protective film for my camera's LCD screens. Although Nikon advertised it as toughened glass, I feel a little bit more comfortable with some type of layer protection. I have a left dominant eye so my nose rubs all over my LCD screen whenever I look through the view finder.

Kirl L Bracket by gqtuazon, on Flickr

Krs_2007

great pigeon shot Glenn, must be the camera...... LOL.

my bad, fixed the spelling of your name Glenn.

Last edited:

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Yes, it does. Funny how some of those really good cameras take really great shots (like yours) and some of them, well, not so much. :D

WM

I always try to cheat as much as I can in order to compensate my mediocre skill. I must say that it is slowly paying off with my equipment investment.

It reminds me of my D700. I could not take a bad picture with that camera.

The shot was at f2.8, 200mm and the lens was still able to do some background isolation. I love that lens except when I have to carry it.