first camera for a newbie

deafguy87

If you're ONLY going to shoot macro and landscape, I think any of the bodies will be fine. Landscape won't require fast tracking, big buffer etc. I think those are all 24mp or so, image quality will be similar enough to not notice a difference. For a long time, I edited d800 images on a 2011 or 2012 MBP with integrated graphics card. Obviously more expensive computers will be quicker but to say you can't edit on your current MB would be silly and a lie. As far as lens choices, that'd be a better question for anyone else that currently shoots macro/landscape on DX bodies. I use a 15-30mm on FX and it's amazing but I can't imagine it's wide enough on DX. For macro, my Tamron 90mm is great. I know I've heard of people saying some Tokina's are good like the 100mm macro and I think they have a DX ultra wide too but I haven't personally used them so I can't recommend them.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I was referring to aroy's two paths

macro/landscape or wildlife but I also want to do street/building, night time, and black & white style

nickt

correct me if i'm wrong... D3xxx, D5xxx and D7xxx have somewhat similar specs for image quality except the higher the camera is, the more buttons/dials to make it more easier to adjust the settings plus a couple features?

Image specs aside, the thing to think about FIRST (in my opinion) is the user interface. D3xxx, d5xxx have a menu driven interface with the higher models having more features. D7xxx is more direct buttons and top lcd and front/rear command wheels. I would iron out that decision first, then decide on final specs. Some like the menu driven system, some don't. The menus can be awkward if you are in a hurry or changing a lot or out in the bright sun. On the other hand, the direct buttons on the d7xxx can be confusing unless you make an effort to learn your camera so it becomes second nature. People will pull you in one direction or another, but you really need to sort out which user interface is for you. Download the manuals and flip through them. If you can't try in person, find some youtube tutorials to see the cameras being handled.

deafguy87

is it worth at least 1k for more buttons/dials/convenience for D7xxx comparing to D3/5xxx? having at least an extra 1k toward lens and accessories

if I eliminate the D7xxx and go toward D3xxx and D5xxx ... big difference between the two is the AF basically, correct?

is it worth at least 1k for more buttons/dials/convenience for D7xxx comparing to D3/5xxx? having at least an extra 1k toward lens and accessories

if I eliminate the D7xxx and go toward D3xxx and D5xxx ... big difference between the two is the AF basically, correct?

A lot more than the the auto focus. You are paying for more pro features. like buttons and weather sealing and image quality. This is a camera you won't outgrow for many years. I started with the D3100 and outgrew it pretty quick and moved to the D5100 and it was not long till I moved to the D7000 and then the D7100. I kept the D7100 and still use it some and my wife uses it all the time since I moved to the D750. I would have saved a lot of money had I started with the D7100

deafguy87

A lot more than the the auto focus. You are paying for more pro features. like buttons and weather sealing and image quality. This is a camera you won't outgrow for many years. I started with the D3100 and outgrew it pretty quick and moved to the D5100 and it was not long till I moved to the D7000 and then the D7100. I kept the D7100 and still use it some and my wife uses it all the time since I moved to the D750. I would have saved a lot of money had I started with the D7100

I just talking about AF between D3xxx and D5xxx

separately I was referring to d7xxx if it worth over 1k to pay for the button/dials interface, and the features you mentioned... knowing the 1k can be use for lens and other gears

If I get D7100 thats $1350 canadian and I don't want to spend on lens and other stuffs right now lol ... bestbuy only have it for sale for $30 off... I don't think I want to spend 2k only for D7200

I totally get it by skipping the middle cameras and get a camera that last me a long time because overall financially I would be saving money in a long term instead buying and selling cameras over the years

Lawrence

Is it worth the extra money?
IMO Yes

Nobody will argue against good glass -

Have you looked at getting a body only and buying lenses seperately?
This could be a good way to start and the f 1.8D 50mm is a real cheapy but a very sharp lens, as is the f 1.8 35mm.

But body and a good lens as per your priority is worth considering

The divide D5500/D7100 is you get fine focus adjust with the D7100 so you can match the lens to the camera ...essential.
In essence if you don't have this feature it means that the point you picked as the main focus point is not in focus and the true point of focus is say 4 in in front or behind what you chose.

Last edited:

aroy

As far as I am concerned, I rarely change the setting. I use Aperture priority at ISO 100 most of the time. If the light is poor then I change the ISO - just press the Fn button and use the thumb wheel to select. Once in a while when I want to shoot bees and butterflies, then I use auto ISO and set the aperture and speed. So in general I do not change the settings shot to shot, and I have found that most also do not.

The Image quality of the D3xxx, D5xxx and D7xxx is same for the same generation. The difference being that D3xxx have 12 bit RAW and the D7xxx 14 bit. Unless you have to recover a lot of shadow details you rarely need 14 bits.
https://photographylife.com/14-bit-vs-12-bit-raw
https://photographylife.com/raw-vs-jpeg
That means that extra buttons and displays though desirable, are not necessary for my style of shooting.

For a beginner a basic camera; as long as its image is comparable to more expensive models; is a better proposition. Versatility of having a set of lenses with a basic camera is much more that having one lens with a top of the line camera. So my suggestion is to go with D3300 with its kit lens (3400 if it comes by that time), and invest in high quality lenses with the savings.

deafguy87

I checked with Adorama and they indicated that they would ship and sell cameras to Canada. Might want to talk to them.

it actually cost more to buy from adroma than buy here in Canada...their shipping cost plus the camera cost more than buying it here

actually I can do you one better ... on D3300 aden camera is having a sale for $519 or $586.47 including tax... might be able to try to get best buy to price match

It actually cheaper to get the disk on amazon

seem like most people here telling me to get the D3300

Last edited:

Horoscope Fish

... seem like most people here telling me to get the D3300
I'm not. Nothing wrong with the D3300 but if you're in D3300 territory, dollar-wise, I'd tell you to drop a little extra scratch for the D5300. The D5300 has a LOT more focus points, more cross-type focus points and an articulating screen that's bigger than the D3300 and has a higher resolution.

deafguy87

I'm not. Nothing wrong with the D3300 but if you're in D3300 territory, dollar-wise, I'd tell you to drop a little extra scratch for the D5300. The D5300 has a LOT more focus points, more cross-type focus points and an articulating screen that's bigger than the D3300 and has a higher resolution.

The reason I'm thinking about D3/5300 is because it my first camera and I got to buy additional stuffs like tripod, best lens possible, possibly iMac if I seriously get deep into lightroom/photoshop and other things. I don't want to blow a lot of money put the body already and leave little for the rest. I can always can upgrade the body in a year or two and by then D7xxx will be way cheaper with the new models coming out in the future. Also I will have the best lens ready for the new body in the future.

D3300 18-55mm for $586 include tax if I find a store to match it
D5300 18-55mm for $812 include tax
D5300 18-140mm for $1106 include tax

you saying the D5300 18-55mm is worth the over 200 bucks difference for the features it got that D3300 doesn't have? knowing the $200 can go toward additional gears...