first camera for a newbie

deafguy87

No one really knows what the specs will be since Nikon has not yet announced them. I would expect to see some significant improvements "under the hood" since the inclusion of Snapbridge wouldn't be enough to warrant a new model on its own. I would guess the new model will get more focus points at least, and probably an upgraded AF-system overall. I'm not familiar with Snapbridge but I assume it uses WiFi or Bluetooth? So there will be that. Continuous shooting (FPS) will probably get a boost, things like that.

Improvements in the consumer line DO tend to be more incremental but the D3300 is due for some fluffing and buffing.
Gotcha .. make sense

Looking forward to the news tomorrow

I hope they bring it to public to sell this week so the new week of sales will show a new decrease price for D3300

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

RobV

If it were me, I think I would buy used for the D3300 and save more money that way.
Then, when you are ready to upgrade, buy new.

Just a thought.

deafguy87

If it were me, I think I would buy used for the D3300 and save more money that way.
Then, when you are ready to upgrade, buy new.

Just a thought.
I can't find a used D3300 ... Kijiji is out, nothing there..what other ways to find one?

RobV

Where are you located again? (please put it in your profile)
Ah, Canada. Yeah, probably no Craigslist. I Kijiji the same thing? Local?

I use Craigslist a lot. I've never bought anything like a camera on it, but I would only pay attention to ads that offer up a shutter count, hopefully with a screenprint of the result.
D610 actuations 4 Feb 2016 copy.jpg

I got that one from when I sold my D610. https://www.camerashuttercount.com/
If the seller doesn't have it, you can request it from them.

I am thinking you could pick one up from someone that thought they wanted a "good" camera, and changed their minds and went with something more pedestrian.

Last edited:

deafguy87

Yeah ontario, Canada .. specifically oakville

Craigslist and kijiji are similar but kijiji is more common here.

What is a decent shutter clicks I should look for in a D3300? Also what is a good used D3300 price in canadian dollars if you know it...

Last edited:

RobV

I am still new to the digital world, but if I were shopping, I would want ~10,000? +/-
This is the first hit on Google: https://www.olegkikin.com/shutterlife/nikon_d3300.htm

Price? I checked my local Craigslist and found an as new 2-lens kit for $525 USD. That price is inflated by having 2 lenses and a "used once"/bought 2 months ago" condition.
Nikon D3300

Here are two for what seems to be reasonable prices on Amazon.ca: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/offer-listing/B00I8JU74Y/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

But if your sale price is close, I say go with that.

RobV

I should add, I picked up a refurbished D5300 w/18-55 from Adorama for $425 US / $546 Can. But that was a rare find.
I don't know if they reset the shutter count when they refurbish, but the count was only 213!

Bikerbrent

Right now at B&H the price difference between a D3400 and D3300 is $100.00 USD. For this price difference, I too am underwhelmed! The only significant changes I see are the battery life (nice to have, but not worth $100, 700 shots per charge is still good) and the guide mode (which might be used as a crutch rather than really learning photography. This might be OK if all you really want to do are snapshots).

deafguy87

Right now at B&H the price difference between a D3400 and D3300 is $100.00 USD. For this price difference, I too am underwhelmed! The only significant changes I see are the battery life (nice to have, but not worth $100, 700 shots per charge is still good) and the guide mode (which might be used as a crutch rather than really learning photography. This might be OK if all you really want to do are snapshots).
Probably keeping at that price for a little bit to get rid of most of the D3300 inventory and then when they see the sales for D3400 start going and nothing happening for D3300 ... that is when they will probably decrease the price drastic to get rid of the rest of the inventory

Bikerbrent

Probably keeping at that price for a little bit to get rid of most of the D3300 inventory and then when they see the sales for D3400 start going and nothing happening for D3300 ... that is when they will probably decrease the price drastic to get rid of the rest of the inventory

Agree, and when the D3300 price drops, it will be even a better deal over the D3400.

deafguy87

Exactly ... D3300 will be for people who is budget conscious, non social media, pro-post processing and D3400 for people basically the opposite of D3300

Update: A guy reply to my ad for wanting a D3300.

He got it a couple months, used it a few times and find it bulky..and ask me for an offer .. so I offer $250 then he said he bought it for $600 2 months ago ... I said about D3300, it still used, discontinued and a new model is out that brought the price down

Basically he said "have a good day" lol.. he want it for $400

Last edited:

aroy

The D3200 to D3300 had quite a few enhancements - lighter, better processor, no filter, faster video, better burst rate and a new 18-55. D3300 to D3400 is just connectivity and better battery life, features not worth spending more for.

Wait a few days and when the prices of D3300 drop get a new one.

deafguy87

The D3200 to D3300 had quite a few enhancements - lighter, better processor, no filter, faster video, better burst rate and a new 18-55. D3300 to D3400 is just connectivity and better battery life, features not worth spending more for.

Wait a few days and when the prices of D3300 drop get a new one.
Yeah I hope they drop the price soon .... hurry up! lol

Update: I just saw on amazon that they are releasing the D3400 on Sept 12

I was wondering why I noticed a few stores have a sale on D3300 til mid sept. This tactic make people who are not up to date on camera news .. think they are getting a deal ... the real deal is when sept 12 come with the new base price for D3300

Last edited:

deafguy87