first camera for a newbie

Osantacruz

I'm lazy to type, but Walt said most of what I want to say ^. The user interface going down the d7100/d7200 is the big thing for me. I've had the d3100 and d7x000. I'm now lost without the external buttons and controls. Front and rear command wheels and the top lcd are great. I love glancing down at the top lcd and knowing the state of the camera. Also the d7x00 cameras have a focus motor in case you come across an older lens.
Front and rear wheels are so great! I hate playing with a camera without it. My friend has a d3200 and the controls are terrible (to me at least) I'm not a fan of holding down a button and scrolling a wheel to change something as simple as aperture. Also, the d3200 viewfinder wasn't enjoyable. The small red dots instead of the squares for focus points really didn't feel precise. That said, you can get a solid photo out of pretty much any body but it's always better if the interface doesn't get in the way instead of being a burden.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I'd strongly recommend that you start with a D90. It has all you need to learn and it will let you use older Nikkor lenses that don't have a focus motor in the lens. It would cost you a lot less and you'd have something solid to work with.

Osantacruz

I'd strongly recommend that you start with a D90. It has all you need to learn and it will let you use older Nikkor lenses that don't have a focus motor in the lens. It would cost you a lot less and you'd have something solid to work with.
Not a bad idea. The ISO performance of older cameras isn't the best but it is good enough in most cases. I recently started playing with my old d50 again and was surprised to find it syncs at 1/500 for flash without HSS and can focus with older motor lenses. Back when I first got it 10 years ago, I didn't know what I was doing and shot it in auto only so it's fun to go back to it now that I have some knowledge of photography and can use it fully.

A bad idea Marcel...why should he start with out of date technology and poor image quality. You may be happy with D700 and D7000 but I would be embarrassed to use one and certainly could not sell the product to my customers.....Spend your money on something that is going to give you the quality of image to be proud of (7100) and will give you a few years of service .. All lenses will work with it but I would suggest a 18-140 ..grey of course

Horoscope Fish

I'd say a D7100 first, D5300 second. Both are superb cameras that would serve you well. Both hit a sweet-spot on the price vs. performance spectrum. The D7100 has more features of the two. If you're willing to pay for some extra bells and whistles, go for it. If not, the D5300 is a real "wolf in sheeps clothing".

As a parting thought, I would advise you to worry less about how capable your camera is and worry more about how capable you are with your camera.

Last edited:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
A bad idea Marcel...why should he start with out of date technology and poor image quality. You may be happy with D700 and D7000 but I would be embarrassed to use one and certainly could not sell the product to my customers.....Spend your money on something that is going to give you the quality of image to be proud of (7100) and will give you a few years of service .. All lenses will work with it but I would suggest a 18-140 ..grey of course
You ask why he should start with older technology? Because it still works and he's not a pro photographer out to make a living selling pictures. My second reason is that there is no point to get the best camera if you can't afford best lenses to couple with. To me, lenses are investments where camera bodies are very quickly outdated.

RON_RIP

I too vote for the D90. It is still one excellent camera. Of course I am old so I favor older things. But when it works, it works.

deafguy87

great information for me to make a decision...

feel like i'm getting pulled on multiple sides with D90, D7100, D7200 and D5300 lol

I got to find good places around here to see where the prices are at for each model ... so far the only places I know that sells camera are henrys, best buy, amazon and maybe walmart.

Last edited:

Kevin H

great information for me to make a decision...

feel like i'm getting pulled on multiple sides with D90, D7100 and D5300 lol

I got to find good places around here to see where the prices are at for each model ... so far the only places I know that sells camera are henrys, best buy, amazon and maybe walmart.

Check Kijiji for used I'm in Ajax Ontario and have bought used a D7100 love it a Used Tamron 90mm F2.8 macro lens love it ETC. just test it out first before cash leaves hand :D

deafguy87

I'm a little cautious with kijiji and electronic items because I'm buying it from someone I don't know who may have no knowledge in cameras and telling me things I want to hear in order to buy it comparing to a retail store.

Plus I don't know how to check a camera to make sure that it in working condition or no damages or missing anything

wtlwdwgn

Choosing a beginner's camera is more about their commitment to photography and how deep their pockets are. If the beginner is only going to be an occasional shooter I would buy a lower line camera and kit lenses. However, if that beginner is really serious about photography then I think he should get the best DSLR and especially the best lenses he can afford. Remember to try a DSLR in your hands before buying as a camera that doesn't feel right will sit on a shelf. Just my $0.02.

Danno

i am a little skeptical toward used cameras or anything used lol ... are there downfalls on buying refurbished cameras

I have a refurbished D7200 I bought around Christmas. I have been very satisfied with it. It had less than 50 shutter actuation and did i say I love the camera... I started out with a D3200. It was a great camera and I loved using. the jump to the D7200 was significant, and I kind of wish I had started there.

You need to remember to leave room for lenses to. If you want landscape you are going to need a good wide angle lens... and a decent walk around lens too. I have a 10-20mm Sigma that I really like using for landscapes and architecture.

deafguy87

I definitely don't want to be an occasional shooter.

I'm a pastry chef at a 400+ seats restaurant and the pay is shit. I can't afford to live on my own so I'm planning to change career/industry. Right now I don't know what is this new career I'm going to do but it possible that it not going to be a creative type of career because I'm a creative guy and need something to allow my artistic side to be stimulated basically. This is how the photography come in play and thought if I can increase my skills and be good enough that I can sell fine art prints in the future then that's great .. at least I got a side income as well

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

GoMario

I'd say a D7100 first, D5300 second. Both are superb cameras that would serve you well. Both hit a sweet-spot on the price vs. performance spectrum. The D7100 has more features of the two. If you're willing to pay for some extra bells and whistles, go for it. If not, the D5300 is a real "sheep in wolf's clothing".

As a parting thought, I would advise you to worry less about how capable your camera is and worry more about how capable you are with your camera.

Ok, I am new to this forum (and fotography in general). But I am old when it comes to computer programming, microprocessors, firmware . . . I too had the very same question (3-4 months ago). And I too ended up looking at this 2 cameras after weeks of check outs and comparisons :) One thing I have noticed was: The 7100 and 5300 have more in common than one thinks. Especially on the "inside". So much so that you can safely flush the 7100 firmware into a 5300 and unlock the processor to its full potential. And no, the D5300 is not a real "sheep in wolf's clothing". Actually, it is the exact opposite! It is a real wolf in sheep's clothing :D Yes I agree, you still have to fiddle around more to get to the settings you want but the 5300 will get you there. Needles to say - I love my 5300 . . .

Sent from my LG-V490 using Tapatalk 2

Lawrence

I have the D7100 (after starting with the D5100) and have no hesitation in recommending it - I wish I had started with it but have no regrets as my D5100 served me well.
Don't exclude the D7200 which has better low light performance. Just bear in mind what others have said about quality glass which is a prerequisite for all round image quality in all types of light.

The D7100 continues to surprise me on a daily basis and I have had it for over a year now. Still have more to learn about its full capabilities.

Good luck with whatever you decide on.

aroy

In my opinion for somebody who is starting out in photography, the entry level cameras are the best. I have now had the D3300 for two and a half years, and after nearly 65,000 clicks find that it does all I want and when I upgrade it will to an FX body. The basic difference between D3300, d5500 and D7200 is additional controls and in case of later a built in motor. The D3300 with its kit lens is an extremely inexpensive acquisition at around $500 so selling it off at even $200 at a later stage does not hit you much financially. Add to that light weight, small size and good battery life you have an excellent package.

My suggestion would be to get the D3300 with the 18-55 kit lens; even if it is discontinued; at a good discount, and later on invest in good lenses
. 35mm F1.8 DX for low light and portrait
. 105mm F2.8 Macro
. 200-500 F5.6 for wild life
For landscape you can use the kit lens. It is surprisingly sharp at F8 onwards.
Once you have used the camera for around five to six months, you will have firmed up on what you want next and upgrade accordingly. Bodies change every few years, but lenses last decades.

When you want to upgrade you have two paths
. In case you gravitate towards Macro or Landscapes an FX body - D750 or D810, or their current versions
. In case you gravitate towards wild life - D7200 or D500, or their current versions

Apart from the camera and lenses you will also need the following
. At least one preferrably two SD cards of 32GB or more
. A good computer with at least a reasonably large monitor
. RAW processing software
. A sturdy tripod with a good head
. At least one External flash, If you gravitate towards macro photography then a couple of macro flash.

Nordika

Reading through then posts on this topic I reckon "aroy" has it pretty well sown up... like many I was in this situation and I decided to go with a "old" d300 and a 18-55 lens... now I suspect many would frown upon this ...its old tat, not the latest firware, etc etc.... but I looked at it this way... coming from a time when decent cameras were all film and not digital, one thing I learned back in my youth was when it comes to taking decent photos one of the most important things is "get the best glass you can afford", granted my 300 came with what some would see as a lens that is only suitable for being included in a lens kit.... but it came free with the body... it got me going... and gave me something to use that got me familiar with the camera.... every day we learn and learn... so for me I would turn it on its head and think about what glass I want to get ... thats where I am at present... once I get familiar with using the lenses, then I can add the updates body.... maybe not the way that most folk go.... but its suiting me... and thats all that counts... go with what suits you would be my advice... you know more than anyone just how much and how far you want to go.... just enjoy it... Its a wonderful ride I am on.... hop on and enjoy thr ride...

Lyndon

deafguy87

ohhh you guys cracked me up... all over the place lol

gomario for D5300
lawrence for D7100
aroy for D3300

correct me if i'm wrong... D3xxx, D5xxx and D7xxx have somewhat similar specs for image quality except the higher the camera is, the more buttons/dials to make it more easier to adjust the settings plus a couple features?

I checked the total price for each possible camera including the tax

D3300 18-55 - $586.47
D5300 18-55 - $789
D7100 18-105 - $1377.47
D7100 18-140 - $1356
D7200 18-140 - $1722

D7200 is quite a big jump from D3300... pretty much 3 times more money than D3300

here is a scenario with the cameras and lenses for image quality and budget is 2k max

D3300 with $1400 len
D5300 with $1200 len
D7100 with $650 len
D7200 with $300

Does this mean D3300 will have a better image quality than D7200 of the same picture?

I'm most likely will be leading toward macro and landscape

are you saying my 2013 macbook pro is not enough to handle the image processing?

Beside the computer ... how much the rest of the additional gears would probably cost?

Last edited:

Osantacruz

ohhh you guys cracked me up... all over the place lol

gomario for D5300
lawrence for D7100
aroy for D3300

correct me if i'm wrong... D3xxx, D5xxx and D7xxx have somewhat similar specs for image quality except the higher the camera is, the more buttons/dials to make it more easier to adjust the settings plus a couple features?

I checked the total price for each possible camera including the tax

D3300 18-55 - $586.47
D5300 18-55 - $789
D7100 18-105 - $1377.47
D7100 18-140 - $1356
D7200 18-140 - $1722

D7200 is quite a big jump from D3300... pretty much 3 times more money than D3300

here is a scenario with the cameras and lenses for image quality and budget is 2k max

D3300 with $1400 len
D5300 with $1200 len
D7100 with $650 len
D7200 with $300

Does this mean D3300 will have a better image quality than D7200 of the same picture?

I'm most likely will be leading toward macro and landscape

are you saying my 2013 macbook pro is not enough to handle the image processing?

Beside the computer ... how much the rest of the additional gears would probably cost?
If you're ONLY going to shoot macro and landscape, I think any of the bodies will be fine. Landscape won't require fast tracking, big buffer etc. I think those are all 24mp or so, image quality will be similar enough to not notice a difference. For a long time, I edited d800 images on a 2011 or 2012 MBP with integrated graphics card. Obviously more expensive computers will be quicker but to say you can't edit on your current MB would be silly and a lie. As far as lens choices, that'd be a better question for anyone else that currently shoots macro/landscape on DX bodies. I use a 15-30mm on FX and it's amazing but I can't imagine it's wide enough on DX. For macro, my Tamron 90mm is great. I know I've heard of people saying some Tokina's are good like the 100mm macro and I think they have a DX ultra wide too but I haven't personally used them so I can't recommend them.