DX Auto-Crop

Eyelight

I think what's killing every one of the D3300 shots is the depth of field. I thought the focus looked soft in the first one and should have mentioned it then. And looking back at each series, they are all where the DOF is going to be very shallow.

I believe what you have definitely nailed with the testing is the D750 has much better AF control of the lens and/or the D750 is easier to focus manually as the case may have been.

Last edited:

J-see

Even with all those problems I constantly encounter and that mess up my testing, when I compare the best shot of both taken with the macro lens; I can't say there's a massive quality or sharpness difference. That confirms the simple math I did based upon the DxO numbers.

I'm going to use the D750 for macro all the time. It's not just the ease of focus, the better noise control enables me to shoot the high shutters required for handheld. The DOF difference I didn't pay that much attention to. I have to look into that because I don't know why the sensor size affects that. At 1:1 lens length plays no role on DOF; it's identical for my 200mm as it is for a 60mm. I wonder what makes the difference when it comes to sensor size. The D3300 takes the exact same shot when it comes to magnification.

The D3300 also keeps overexposing 1/3th of a stop compared to the D750 even when all is manual. Yet not always. I wonder if the diaphragm vs sensor got something to do with that or if it is simply dodgy in capturing.

Eyelight

Even with all those problems I constantly encounter and that mess up my testing, when I compare the best shot of both taken with the macro lens; I can't say there's a massive quality or sharpness difference. That confirms the simple math I did based upon the DxO numbers.

I'm going to use the D750 for macro all the time. It's not just the ease of focus, the better noise control enables me to shoot the high shutters required for handheld. The DOF difference I didn't pay that much attention to. I have to look into that because I don't know why the sensor size affects that. At 1:1 lens length plays no role on DOF; it's identical for my 200mm as it is for a 60mm. I wonder what makes the difference when it comes to sensor size. The D3300 takes the exact same shot when it comes to magnification.

The D3300 also keeps overexposing 1/3th of a stop compared to the D750 even when all is manual. Yet not always. I wonder if the diaphragm vs sensor got something to do with that or if it is simply dodgy in capturing.

I think generally when inspecting images at the level we have in this thread, it pushes everything to the edge. I think the differences we've seen on your shots are more do to the control the body has and not the sensor alone.

The actually focus distance of any lens at any aperture is 0mm deep and blur begins at 0.0000000000000001mm (or add as many zeros as desired), but we don't perceive it until we get to the edge of the DOF, but that's when the DOF is defined at a viewing distance/size that is gargantuan compared to the crops with which we've been working. If we did the math, the DOF for your crops will be very, very, very small.

J-see

Yeah, we're not talking about DOF the size of a football field.

Comparing shots at this scale is almost insane. I had to pick the best out of a series I often wondered if there was a difference or if I imagined it. In the end everything looks different and the same.

sonicbuffalo_RIP

No I always shoot RAW and didn't use any post besides the standard lens adjustment and minor sharpening LR does.

The shots are a crop in LR smaller than 1k*1k so I can show the 100% here. Higher and it gets scaled again. To equal the FX to the DX, I go to PS, copy the DX shot into the FX layers, duplicate the FX, scale it to 150% and with a lower opacity match it with the DX.

I'm using the D750 of which not much data is out there. I haven't got any lens/cam info so I assume it to perform as well as the D610 sensor. Maybe this sensor is better, I wouldn't know. It's not that the D3300 is a bad cam. I have always taken a good shot with it but when purely comparing detail, it shows the DX sensor doesn't make the lens perform as well as the current FX. Or the sensor can't grab as much detail. The money difference has a reason.

Technology changes all the time so what might have been true yesterday not necessarily is today.

All in all it's a luxury problem. You need to have both formats before you can worry which is best. It's also only important for my macro and bird lens. But when looking at the numbers, anyone having a D600-610, D750, D800E or D810 and has a DX they use for macro or wildlife best put their lenses to the test. They might be surprised.

funny you are calling out all the sensors that came from Sony. Just an observation.

J-see

funny you are calling out all the sensors that came from Sony. Just an observation.

I wouldn't know which sensor is made by whom but those are the ones having the high sharpness rankings on DxO. The D800 is the strange duck since it does not do that well compared to the ones I listed.

If Sony made them, I tip my hat to them.

sonicbuffalo_RIP

I wouldn't know which sensor is made by whom but those are the ones having the high sharpness rankings on DxO. The D800 is the strange duck since it does not do that well compared to the ones I listed.

If Sony made them, I tip my hat to them.

Sony made the D610, the D750, and the D810. Not sure about the others.

J-see

Sony made the D610, the D750, and the D810. Not sure about the others.

I don't know about the D610 but the D750 really does a good job. It's not just the ISO performance but it also captures light fantastically. It makes a huge difference when I do night shots. I can only imagine how good the D810 would do. That one is on my list as my next "low and slow" cam.

J-see

They re all great cameras.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Even my D3300 is a great cam, for the money it cost.

But with cams it is like computer screens or televisions. Once you had the larger one in front of you, going back to the previous smaller hurts, even while before it was perfectly fine.