Don's DJI Phantom 2 & 3 Fun

re: Don's DJI Phantom 2 & 3 Fun

My son is visiting for a few days and was discussing how to weaponize My drone.
I did take it into the front yard for a quick run and shot some video. Then into the computer and figure out how to apply the lens corrections in photoshop to the entire movie and save it as a video. Really helps. Do you shoot in 30 frames or 60 frames and play back in 30?

No laughing or critique of my flying skills yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWkvLPSPumI

Last edited:

480sparky

Saving your bird was a tad bit more important.

30fps all day long. But I'm not using a GoPro.

Now hit Google before you crash!

I did check it out. it seemed like it was more for when you were very close to the ground. But still I have had about 5 minutes flight time so far. I hope to get out to a big area tomorrow and fly a larger flight path. My front yard has some trees, power lines and flag poles in it so I stayed pretty much in the same place, just up and down.

And I do not have the GoPro either. Just the DJI Vision camera. I kinda like it so far. Especially after I figured out how to apply the lens correction using PhotoShop to video.
Saving your bird was a tad bit more important.

30fps all day long. But I'm not using a GoPro.

Now hit Google before you crash!

480sparky

I did check it out. it seemed like it was more for when you were very close to the ground. But still I have had about 5 minutes flight time so far. I hope to get out to a big area tomorrow and fly a larger flight path. My front yard has some trees, power lines and flag poles in it so I stayed pretty much in the same place, just up and down.

And I do not have the GoPro either. Just the DJI Vision camera. I kinda like it so far. Especially after I figured out how to apply the lens correction using PhotoShop to video.

You might want to look at other editing software.... your horizons are tilting all over the place.

480sparky

How far will it go? How high? Video looks cool!

Unmodified and straight out of the box, I think the specs are 1 mile.

Modified, you can outfly the battery life. Meaning, you can keep going until the battery gives out and you crash. "Don't worry! We have enough fuel to reach the crash site!" (Old pilot-to-navigator joke) There's unofficial competitions for both altitude and distance with modded units. Personally, I think they're just pissing matches with people who are 'compensating for something'. Some day, one of these Shorty's will drop their bird where it's not supposed to go, or it will get sucked into the engine of a full-size aircraft and bring it down. And that will be the end of our toys.

As far as the FAA is concerned, flying under 400' makes it a 'model aircraft', and unless you're flying near an airport, they couldn't care less. My personal feeling is: fly under 400', and always close enough to maintain visual control. And as soon as I become aware of another 'real' aircraft, I begin the descent immediately. You can connect the remote to your computer and set your personal limits so you cannot fly outside this envelope. I have mine set for 600' but I keep a close eye on my altitude.

But quite easily you can fly it out of visual range in a matter of 5-6 seconds.You may be able to SEE it, but you cannot determine which direction it is facing and ergo, be unable to determine which command is best to keep from crashing.

Last edited:

WE are not having decent flying weather lately but I did decide to go out front and try the still photo option.

The first is a selfie and the second shot is from about 300 feet up showing the school where my wife teaches. Just follow the road to the horizon and there it is. In reality it is about half a mile away.

dji00002.jpg
dji00004.jpg