Don's DJI Phantom 2 & 3 Fun

TedG954

re: Don's DJI Phantom 2 & 3 Fun

I am amazed at how steady the video is. Very impressive. I enjoyed these videos very much.

480sparky

I am amazed at how steady the video is. Very impressive. I enjoyed these videos very much.

The camera is on a 3-axis gimble that counteract the movement of the aircraft. If the bird pitches forward, the camera pitches backwards. If the bird rolls right, the camera rolls left.

And any jittery footage can also be corrected with software in post.

The camera is on a 3-axis gimble that counteract the movement of the aircraft. If the bird pitches forward, the camera pitches backwards. If the bird rolls right, the camera rolls left.

And any jittery footage can also be corrected with software in post.

What drone/camera are you using?

480sparky

Same drone as mine but with the 3 axis gimbal using a GoPro?

It's not a Vision + then. It's a Phantom 2, most likely the Zenmuse gimble if it's factory installed.

On the plus side, you can download software from GoPro that will remove the fisheye effect from all their products. Free. Great for video.

It's not a Vision + then. It's a Phantom 2, most likely the Zenmuse gimble if it's factory installed.

I was asking about yours. Mine is just the Phantom 2. Camera only goes up and down. The + can go up, down, right and left

this is mine
2_2.png

Last edited:

480sparky

I was asking about yours. Mine is just the Phantom 2. Camera only goes up and down. The + can go up, down, right and left

Mine's the P2V+. I think with both you can only pitch the camera up and down. Panning is controlled by the yaw of the bird. All the other movements are automatically controlled by the electronics to remove camera shake.

47 ain't too cold. And that bird can handle 20-25MPH winds easy.

It may not be to cold for the drone but it is to cold for me. My RA does not handle cold that well. 20-25 mph winds on the first day out to learn how to fly is also more than I want to attempt. BUT good to know it should be able to handle the wind though. I was wondering how it would do on the beach this spring.

480sparky

You can easily fly in 20-25 MPH winds as the craft itself is rated to do 35. Just fly out in the open and not close to anything as the wind might take it into something before it can correct itself.

Also, keep in mind that winds aloft may be much higher than they are on the ground, and possibly in a different direction. And weather forecasts usually display ground-level winds only.

Last edited:

You can easily fly in 20-25 MPH winds as the craft itself is rated to do 35. Just fly out in the open and not close to anything as the wind might take it into something before it can correct itself.

Also, keep in mind that winds aloft may be much higher than they are on the ground, and possibly in a different direction. And weather forecasts usually display ground-level winds only.

My first flights will be in a very large hay field about 1/2 mile from where I live. Friends of mine own a farm nearby and I shoot their wheat fields/harvest while they are there in their big tractors. They wondered why I would ever want to take photos of that till they saw the results now they will call me when they get ready to work. I think they will like the results from a drone even better.

Only after I get very comfortable there will I move into closer quarters. I did read last night that if you just turn off the controller the drone will go into auto return mode and fly back to its original location and land. Have you tried that?

480sparky

......... Have you tried that?

Yes. But you must be sure it knows where 'Home' is. It's called RTH, Return To Home. And it's not without it's pitfalls.

Most notably, it will fly directly Home. It won't retrace it's route. So if you fly around a building to the other side, and the bird loses signal, it will fly right into the building. If it's lower than 60ft/20m, it will fly up to that altitude before RTH. But that may not be enough to clear some large trees. If it's higher than 60ft/20m, it will maintain that elevation during RTH.

And it will fly to where it thinks Home is. If you took off and didn't start with a good GPS lock, or lost GPS signal during a flight, Home may not be where you think it is.

TedG954

UPS dropped off my drone today, but I'm not going to try and fly it until Don figures out all the controls and can help me through the process.

Don, or Sparky.... doe's your controller have a button labeled "FIRE"?

54769328.jpg