Doing a wedding under protest.

Blacktop

I just got the flash and the 50mm 1.8 this morning.
Going to the church Saturday to take some test shots inside and out.
I'll post them in case anyone has any ideas about it.

Looks like I have 5 weeks to learn enough about flash shooting to be able to fake this whole thing.:barbershop_quartet::grief:

Blacktop

Went to the church this morning do some test shots. Very very poor lighting and I'm going to have to use a flash. It will be allowed, but I'm not happy about it. Well at least I have some time to practice.
Here are a few shots inside with my Neewer 750II flash on TTL, and my 18-140.
I'm going back next week to try again. The good thing is that it is a small church so I don't have to deal with vast spaces, and also it will be only 75 people so I'll have some room to move around.

Wedding-2.jpg

Wedding-4.jpg
\

Wedding-5.jpg

Wedding-6.jpg

Wedding-7339.jpg

Last edited:

Scott Murray

Definitely going to be an interesting shoot for you, the processed HDR shot looks good :) did you try bouncing the flash? I am wondering what colour cast the ceiling would give off.

Blacktop

Definitely going to be an interesting shoot for you, the processed HDR shot looks good :) did you try bouncing the flash? I am wondering what colour cast the ceiling would give off.

No, I have not. I'm still learning about bouncing flash. I'm going back next week and doing some more tests.

sonicbuffalo_RIP

I think you're well equipped and capable of shooting a friend's wedding. I think you will be prepared, and ready for curveballs thrown at you. Take command of the shooting, and set the pictures up by posing them the way you'd want to be photographed. I'm sure you'll do fine and good luck. I've heard of $3000 wedding photographers so they should feel very fortunate that they have you.

Scott Murray

No, I have not. I'm still learning about bouncing flash. I'm going back next week and doing some more tests.
I would try bouncing to see what it does, that way you will have options. Also backlighting would be good too if possible. With bouncing try various angles. but I think 45deg will work best at a guess.

Blacktop

I would try bouncing to see what it does, that way you will have options. Also backlighting would be good too if possible. With bouncing try various angles. but I think 45deg will work best at a guess.

I've been practicing bouncing inside my house with different angles and power settings. It's a lot to learn and remember.

rocketman122

ok BT any things that are bothering you that you want to ask before I jump in and try to give you some direction?

in your test shots, you didnt shoot wiht the 50 at all? pay attention to the focus, because it slipped a bit, especially on the first I think.

iso is different in each picture. did you try it at different settings just for testing to see what it would look like? I would shoot no less than 800 with your zoom lens and 1600 with your 50mm. your 50 is sharper and a good lens will make high iso pictures look better than lower quality lenses. lens quality does affect the final image. so you could go higher with a good lens. it will also make the flash work less and it will recycle faster as its not using a lot of light. getting the ambient mixed with the flash. anybody can come in shoot with a smartphone and they will get roughy the same look as you got. its up to you and how comfortable you feel. exposure is not consistent in the shots BT. 1 and 3 are under and u see the grain in the back. and 2 is a bit over but still very useable and 4 is perfect. you can fix that later but better to be a bit over (1/3-1/2) than under because underexposed will raise your grain level and over will hide it much more. number 3 was shot with the flash head straight, yes? and the others bounced?

now regarding the settings. 1/60 is fine because your lady was standing, but be aware, that youll use 1/60 and youre images wont be sharp and movement will be documented for sure. try bumping it to 1/125. dont shoot wider than 2.8 with the 50 and f/4 would be better imo and just enough for dof and sharpness. again iso I would say 1250-1600 and youll get better ambient/flash blending. try it next to you. bounce up with white card out. dont use the WA diffuser. youre bouncing up, the diffuser wont make things any softer.

are you allowed to walk around at all during the ceremony? so you have the D7100, the neewer flash, a 50 and the 18-140 zoom? how many people are invited?

for family shots, you should try to do group shots first. get the mass groups. before you just shoot like crazy, walk over to them and set them up. try as little as possible that one is behind the others. Ive shot 10-12 people in a group shot and I go back and shoot at 50mm and have them all side by side. dont go in closer and shoot wider. go back and shoot them zoomed in. think portraits. think perspective. shooting at the 18mm is not desired.

this is what I do when im in a serious rush and lack time at all and no cooperation

1-G&B and 4 parents
2-G&B and grooms parents, brothers and grandparents
3-G&B and grooms parents, aunts uncles
then I do the same for the brides side. you can start with whatever u want after setup #1

if I have time and people are cooperative then I can break it down a bit more

1-G&B and 4 parents
4-G&B and grooms brothers.
then I do the same for the brides side. you can start with whatever u want after setup #1

and if you really have time, you can shoot each brother with their groom/bride brother/sister. and you can also shoot each brother/sister with their husbands/wife/children. and you can shoot the brothers children by themselves and do the brother/sister by themselves and their wife/husband. meaning

brother/sister with spouse and children family together (half body/full body)
brother/sister by themselves (face/half body/full body)
their spouse by themselves (face/half body/full body)
their children as a group together (half body/full body)
each of the children seperately.(face/half body/full body)

so you see, you can get really pedantic with this.

some people want tons of variations and some want just a few group shots. not sure when and where youll shoot though.

Blacktop

@rocketman122. Thank you for all the useful information. I apologize for not getting back here for a few days. No time right now to take pics let alone browse the forums. I'll get back to this in more detail this weekend.

Blacktop

Been practicing with bounce flash. I have the white card pulled out half way. I'm happy that there are no shadows but I'm not happy with the skin tone. seems a bit white. I have the WB set to auto in camera and fixing it in LR for now.
Even when I have the WB set to "flash" I still get much too warm coloring. I fixed it best I could. Also I think F/1.8 might be a bit soft.

Here is Mrs Blacktop agreeing for a shot. Also under protest.;)

_DSC7606-Edit.jpg

Blacktop

ok BT any things that are bothering you that you want to ask before I jump in and try to give you some direction?

Yes. It bothers me that I suck at this.:hopelessness:

in your test shots, you didnt shoot wiht the 50 at all? pay attention to the focus, because it slipped a bit, especially on the first I think.

I was only going to use the 50 if I weren't allowed to use flash. Thinking more on this now, I may go with the 50 after all.

iso is different in each picture. did you try it at different settings just for testing to see what it would look like?

Yes, I was trying different things. Shooting blind.

I would shoot no less than 800 with your zoom lens and 1600 with your 50mm. your 50 is sharper and a good lens will make high iso pictures look better than lower quality lenses.

I'm going to have to quit being scared of high ISO's. I'm always afraid to get a noisy shot.
lens quality does affect the final image. so you could go higher with a good lens. it will also make the flash work less and it will recycle faster as its not using a lot of light. getting the ambient mixed with the flash.

anybody can come in shoot with a smartphone and they will get roughy the same look as you got.

I came to the same conclusion. Thanks for being blunt and not pulling any punches. This is what I need right now.

its up to you and how comfortable you feel. exposure is not consistent in the shots BT. 1 and 3 are under and u see the grain in the back. and 2 is a bit over but still very useable and 4 is perfect. you can fix that later but better to be a bit over (1/3-1/2) than under because underexposed will raise your grain level and over will hide it much more.

number 3 was shot with the flash head straight, yes? and the others bounced?

Most likely ,yes. I was trying different ways,. Up down, sideways. You name it.

now regarding the settings. 1/60 is fine because your lady was standing, but be aware, that youll use 1/60 and youre images wont be sharp and movement will be documented for sure. try bumping it to 1/125. dont shoot wider than 2.8 with the 50 and f/4 would be better imo and just enough for dof and sharpness. again iso I would say 1250-1600 and youll get better ambient/flash blending. try it next to you. bounce up with white card out. dont use the WA diffuser. youre bouncing up, the diffuser wont make things any softer.

Good stuff right there. Today I've been practicing with flash straight up, the white card pulled out, and no WA diffuser. I'm getting much better results today. However I'm practicing with a lower ceiling being at the house. Good thing is, that the church is a small country church with low ceilings as well.

are you allowed to walk around at all during the ceremony? so you have the D7100, the neewer flash, a 50 and the 18-140 zoom? how many people are invited?

It will be a small wedding. 75 people are invited, so I should have some room to walk around during the ceremony. Should I bring the 70-300mmVR just in case a bird flies in? ;)
for family shots, you should try to do group shots first. get the mass groups. before you just shoot like crazy, walk over to them and set them up. try as little as possible that one is behind the others. Ive shot 10-12 people in a group shot and I go back and shoot at 50mm and have them all side by side. dont go in closer and shoot wider. go back and shoot them zoomed in. think portraits. think perspective. shooting at the 18mm is not desired.

this is what I do when im in a serious rush and lack time at all and no cooperation

1-G&B and 4 parents

if I have time and people are cooperative then I can break it down a bit more

1-G&B and 4 parents
4-G&B and grooms brothers.

and if you really have time, you can shoot each brother with their groom/bride brother/sister. and you can also shoot each brother/sister with their husbands/wife/children. and you can shoot the brothers children by themselves and do the brother/sister by themselves and their wife/husband. meaning

brother/sister with spouse and children family together (half body/full body)
brother/sister by themselves (face/half body/full body)
their spouse by themselves (face/half body/full body)
their children as a group together (half body/full body)
each of the children seperately.(face/half body/full body)

so you see, you can get really pedantic with this.

some people want tons of variations and some want just a few group shots. not sure when and where youll shoot though.

Thanks for the great advice . I really appreciate you taking the time typing out all this.