Doing a wedding under protest.

Blacktop

Ok, I've been practicing my portrait shots. I'm sure with the right makeup it'll look better.

untitled--8.jpg

Blacktop

You will do just fine but I think you should at least ask for another piece of cake at the reception.:p You can diffuse the flash with a kleenex if push comes to shove. been there, done that.

OMG! I hope I don't forget to take a shot of the wedding cake.
Is there a list on the web somewhere I could use as a cheat sheet?

carguy

Be sure you are allowed to fire flash photos during the ceremony. The church would make that call.
Maybe rent a Nikon 17-50, 24-70 or 70-200 2.8 for the event.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Be sure you are allowed to fire flash photos during the ceremony. The church would make that call.
Maybe rent a Nikon 17-50, 24-70 or 70-200 2.8 for the event.

Yes, some churches have rules about photography during a service (and a wedding is a service). Find out if they allow flash during the service and whether or not they will allow you to move around. Some churches only let photographers stand in one location during the entire service. Best to know ahead of time.

Take an extra battery and an SD card, too...and a tripod if no flash is allowed.

If you are allowed to stand in a side aisle, then perhaps you can get by with a 50mm. If the Sanctuary is long and you are in the back, I don't think it will cut it. Renting a zoom would be a better option.

It's good that you are going to check out the church ahead of time. That should give you some ideas of what will work. Have fun with it! ;)

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Another thought...have you considered whether you will shoot jpeg or NEF? I keep my card slots set for both so I have the option of either one. If you wind up with hundreds of photos, jpegs might be faster. If you consider shooting jpegs, be sure not to have the camera set for higher saturation. Otherwise their faces will show a reddish tint. And think about which white balance you want to use--maybe try out a few different white balance settings ahead of time.

Blacktop

Another thought...have you considered whether you will shoot jpeg or NEF? I keep my card slots set for both so I have the option of either one. If you wind up with hundreds of photos, jpegs might be faster. If you consider shooting jpegs, be sure not to have the camera set for higher saturation. Otherwise their faces will show a reddish tint. And think about which white balance you want to use--maybe try out a few different white balance settings ahead of time.

Post #7.

Oh yea, I'm taking everything. Bought an extra battery, a few extra cards as well.
I'm going to use slot 2 on my 7100 as a backup.
I'm going to shoot RAW, even though I've been reading that most wedding togs shoot jpeg. I'll be more comfortable shooting Raw.

I'm just going to use the 50mm inside the church. I'm actually hoping that it is long enough for the exchanging of the wows.
I'll see next week.

Plus as soon as get my flash next week ,I'll be practicing with it......Just remembered. I should have bought a diffuser.

Pretzel

Oh yea, I'm taking everything. Bought an extra battery, a few extra cards as well.
I'm going to use slot 2 on my 7100 as a backup.
I'm going to shoot RAW, even though I've been reading that most wedding togs shoot jpeg. I'll be more comfortable shooting Raw.

I'm just going to use the 50mm inside the church. I'm actually hoping that it is long enough for the exchanging of the wows.
I'll see next week.

Plus as soon as get my flash next week ,I'll be practicing with it......Just remembered. I should have bought a diffuser.

Relax... with practice inside the church, you'll do fine. I 2nd shot a whole wedding with a 50mm 1.8 and no flash as my first wedding gig, and came out with lots of stunning photos. Typically the platform area is well lit, but never know what they're gonna turn off... And that was with the D3100! You've upped the game going in with the beast. I recommend attending the rehearsal, if possible, so you can see where you want to and/or can stand during the ceremony to get the shots they want. If ya can't get close, maybe a 70-200 2.8 rental is in the future?

As for the diffuser, lots of local folks around here take the Fong lightsphere with 'em to indoor weddings. It's got a nice pattern to it... I use it myself from time to time, but it does take a little practice.

Blacktop

Ahh. Ok. I did read the entire thread in one sitting so obviously the info went in one ear and out the other. :eek: I just want to be sure you are covered. ;)
Thanks. No problem, I appreciate all the help I can get. I'm sure I will forget everything on the day of the wedding.:cower:

montignac

Having been to my sons wedding one really good tip is get a list of the photos the couple want then get someone who knows the family give him/her the list and get them to get the people into place for the formal shots. There is no greater time waster than asking the brides side, or the grooms side or both etc to get into place. This saves a lot of time and allows you to be relaxed and concentrate on the shooting. I was lucky as my other son had this job and at 6 foot 6 inches and a voice to match people took their places quickly.

kevy73

+1 for above post. I get ALL of my brides and grooms to give me a list of the formal family/friend shots they want after their ceremony. People HATE hanging around for pics, the bride and groom have just got married and their mind isn't on the job. With a list, it all runs smoothly.

Photograph the little things too. It isn't all about the bride and groom. The small things can set a context to the next few images in an album if they make one.

You will be fine. The first wedding is stressful, been there, I know how it feels but take deep breaths, relax and try and enjoy the experience.

If you want I can give you the password to a full wedding gallery on my website to give you an idea of the things I shoot.

Blacktop

+1 for above post. I get ALL of my brides and grooms to give me a list of the formal family/friend shots they want after their ceremony. People HATE hanging around for pics, the bride and groom have just got married and their mind isn't on the job. With a list, it all runs smoothly.

Photograph the little things too. It isn't all about the bride and groom. The small things can set a context to the next few images in an album if they make one.

You will be fine. The first wedding is stressful, been there, I know how it feels but take deep breaths, relax and try and enjoy the experience.

If you want I can give you the password to a full wedding gallery on my website to give you an idea of the things I shoot.

That would be very helpful and appreciated. Just PM me. Thanks.