Doing a wedding under protest.

mikew_RIP

My son is getting married in November and he is adamant that he trusts no one other than me to shoot the wedding. He had a very bad experience with his last wedding with the photographer and the bride.

Thinking I will rent a FX camera or borrow a friends D800 or maybe his D4 to shoot it with.

Wouldnt you be better with a camera you know inside out

RocketCowboy

My son is getting married in November and he is adamant that he trusts no one other than me to shoot the wedding. He had a very bad experience with his last wedding with the photographer and the bride.

Thinking I will rent a FX camera or borrow a friends D800 or maybe his D4 to shoot it with.

Sounds like justification for buying a D4 ... just add it as a "wedding cost". :)

Krs_2007

I plan on getting it once or twice before then to play with it

Don, for what its worth I would use the D800. The button layout is different then my D600, but it really didnt take long to setup the memory banks and start shooting. It was borrowed and it was if I had been using it for years. Now I haven't shot with a D4 and afraid too, knowing it might cost me some money. But I like the larger file size with the D800.

Either one will work, but if you haven't used the D800 before, borrow it and play with it. You will see what I am talking about when you get to processing. There is just something about this series of bodies. I shot with the 1.5 crop I believe it was and felt it was snappy enough to shoot sports, didnt miss a shot and the pictures just had something my D600 didnt have. Hard to explain

Krs_2007

I hate suits. Very uncomfortable wearing a suit and a beer belly at the same time. How bout some black dress pants and a white shirt? No tie.

Remember, dress for the occasion regardless of comfort. As well all know, when things get rolling everyone gets more comfortable and usually the coats come of and the ties get loose.

As far as the beer belly, look at suspenders. My wife hates them but man those things are great when you are on the move. Just dont bend over too far too fast as mass has a tendency to pull things up where they dont need to in the back.

Atomic wedgie that may force you to excuse yourself to fix.

Blacktop

Well, I'm back home loading wedding shots into LR as we speak. Very short reception. Just some buffet and the wedding cake. I was stressing about nothing

Blacktop

Pleased you came away with that feeling,when is the next one :D

Not until I actually know what I'm doing.:)

Did almost 200 shots, came away with 81 shots that I'm giving my friend. I still had lots of trouble at the cave...I mean the church. Flash was very slow to recycle.

SteveL54

Not until I actually know what I'm doing.:)

Did almost 200 shots, came away with 81 shots that I'm giving my friend. I still had lots of trouble at the cave...I mean the church. Flash was very slow to recycle.

So how did it go @Blacktop?
Will you be moving into the wedding thing, or was this one enough for you?

Last edited:

Blacktop

I would like to say that I have never been a part of a forum, whether it be a music forum a golf forum or any other forum, where the people are so helpful and friendly as right here.
I was really stressing before this wedding and you guys gave me the confidence to go through with this task.

I really want to say thanks to everyone who helped with advice and encouragement. I'm not going to name everyone, but the few that took the time to type out long posts of advice I will name here.
@rocketman122 for his usual no nonsense and no bullshit approach to helping.:cower:
@kevy73, who gave me a link to a few shots of his wonderful images so I can get inspiration and ideas.:encouragement:
@WayneF for his never ending knowledge of flash photography.:cool:
[MENTION=9753]Scott Murray[/MENTION] who also provided me with some of his shots and advice.:frog:

Thanks everyone!

Hopefully one day I will have the experience and knowledge to pay it forward to others who may need help.

Blacktop

So how did it go @Blacktop?
Will you be moving into the wedding thing, or was this one enough for you?

You know, it's very strange. I said that I didn't enjoy doing it, and I really didn't, but I keep thinking that if I had to do it again, what I would be doing different and what setup would I use next time. I hope it passes.:(