Dawg Pics is learning new things in 2017.

Dawg Pics

Great picture. I wouldn't have wanted her face showing. Buried in the coat has this home feeling for me. Good job on the wall bounce. I think it is preferable in that the light falls off rather than a more evenly lit shot. Nice work.

Thank you, Moab Man.
...and thanks for the encouragement last year. I learned a lot.

Dawg Pics

when it happens to me I usually have the box to strip the data checked, DUH? its always when i am to tired and trying to PP my shots. I once checked the box to close my thread due to "falling asleep at the keyboard" lol

I don't know what happens. I went back and thought I corrected the problem, but nope. I will look at it again.

RobV

Great picture. I wouldn't have wanted her face showing. Buried in the coat has this home feeling for me. Good job on the wall bounce. I think it is preferable in that the light falls off rather than a more evenly lit shot. Nice work.
I think that my next piece of kit should be an external flash.

Dawg Pics

Get yourself an Expodisc. When using off camera flash you can use the Expodisc to meter for lighting as well as set white balance.

Just so happens, I purchased one when it went on sale at Christmas. I need to look at the flash metering, I didn't know you could use it for that.

Moab Man

Just so happens, I purchased one when it went on sale at Christmas. I need to look at the flash metering, I didn't know you could use it for that.

Watch this. I already have it set to start at the time you need so you can bypass the 2 minutes of blah blah blah.

https://youtu.be/J5GqVTYuT-Y?t=2m10s

Another way you can set the exposure, if you know you need to work with a given speed or aperture...

Scenario: I want to shoot at an aperture of f/4

1. Go to where the subject will be.
2. Set camera to Aperture priority (for this scenario).
3. Make sure you have no exposure compensation.
4. Take a picture with the Expodisc over the lens pointed to where you will be shooting from.
5. Review the file of the gray image and look to see what the shutter speed is. You now have the shutter speed needed for the aperture and ISO you have dialed in.
6. Bonus - if you don't change your white balance, the gray image can be used in Photoshop Camera Raw to set white balance

You can change this up if you needed a specific shutter speed and aperture is not the priority. There is a whole combination of things you can do.

Hope this helps.

Dawg Pics

[MENTION=11881]Moab Man[/MENTION]
Yes, indeed, this helps a lot.
I rarely make it through the blah, blah at the beginning of these videos. They sometimes say absolutely nothing of significance for a few minutes.

Thank you.

RobV

DSC_0009 - Copy.jpg
That is an image I must see.

Moab Man

I watched it. It made my head hurt.
I guess this isn't for action photography.... :)

I use it for action sports. If it's where I can walk onto the field I do so and set a WB for the different lighting areas. If I can't walk out there then I use the other method of shooting various images through my Expodisc for the different areas of lighting.

Dawg, sorry for this little hi-jack detour in your thread.

Dawg Pics

I use it for action sports. If it's where I can walk onto the field I do so and set a WB for the different lighting areas. If I can't walk out there then I use the other method of shooting various images through my Expodisc for the different areas of lighting.

Dawg, sorry for this little hi-jack detour in your thread.

No worries. It is all about learning. :)

Dawg Pics

Night time long exposure.

Learning to get comfortable with the tripod and timers on the camera. I don't have a remote for the D300. I remembered the self-timer. This at least gave the tripod time to settle down before the shot. I almost feel like I need a dedicated tripod set-up since I like to shoot at night.

moonLE_4983.jpg

RobV

I agree, and that is beautiful!
(I like to shoot at night.)

This is Butterfly my late kitty of 17 years. We would go for walks in my quiet neighborhood after work, which was usually 2, 3 in the morning.
This was during a very bright moon overhead.

"Moonshadow"
PICT3513 - Copy.JPG

Last edited:

Danno

[MENTION=26505]Dawg Pics[/MENTION], apologize in advance for hijacking your thread, but [MENTION=11881]Moab Man[/MENTION]. Your 6 steps and the video were very helpful. I have been practicing with the ExpoDisc and learning how to use it. I really like it. I tried this example yesterday and it worked well. Thanks...

Moab Man

We will just call this Dawg's Hi-jacked Thread. Sorry Dawg.

You are welcome and I'm glad you both have gotten something from it.

This hi-jacker has left the thread.

Dawg Pics

Part of learning for me has been identifying the birds that stop by in the neighborhood.

I believe this is a Bewick's Wren since it was screaming at its mate. Let me know if it isn't.

wren_4698.jpg

wren_4697.jpg

Last edited: