D750m back to Nikon?

Blacktop

Well, my D750 is at the Melville, NY Nikon Service Center, according to the USPS tracking site. According to Nikon, they haven't signed it into their system, yet. Hopefully, it won't take very long to get it into the service process.

As of now, all I really want to know is what's wrong with it to cause the focus issues and how long it will take to fix it. I leave for a trip in less than three weeks and I'd really like to have the camera to take with me.

I know that service timelines can vary greatly, but has anyone here gotten a camera back from Nikon USA in NY in less than 19 days?

WM

I got mine back in 10 days from the time I mailed it in, when they replaced the shutter.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Well, my D750 is at the Melville, NY Nikon Service Center, according to the USPS tracking site. According to Nikon, they haven't signed it into their system, yet. Hopefully, it won't take very long to get it into the service process.

As of now, all I really want to know is what's wrong with it to cause the focus issues and how long it will take to fix it. I leave for a trip in less than three weeks and I'd really like to have the camera to take with me.

I know that service timelines can vary greatly, but has anyone here gotten a camera back from Nikon USA in NY in less than 19 days?

WM

My D600 took about one week each of the three times I sent it in for the oil spot issue. Of course, you need to factor in how long it takes for shipping. I used UPS ground for shipping, and it arrived there the next day (mine went to Melville, NY, too). Nikon returned it via UPS all 3 times (and they used UPS for my flash when I sent that in).

Keep watch through Nikon's web site to track the progress of your repair because once your camera has been logged in, you should receive an email with a service order number. You won't be able to access any repair info until you receive that number. If you don't have a free UPS account, you should consider creating one because UPS will notify you whenever items will be shipped. That will allow you to know the expected delivery dates. I think UPS notified me of my impending shipment before Nikon even had their web site repair info updated.

How long it takes for repair will depend on whether or not they have any replacement parts in stock. When Nikon repaired my flash, I think the replacement parts were shipped by rowboat from Japan. :shame: I shipped my flash out via UPS on July 11th and received it back on August 11th--keep in mind I live close enough that my flash arrived the next day by UPS ground. Nikon must have been behind on their repairs because it was 7 days after I shipped it before I received notification of its being logged into their system. :(

If your D750 parts are in stock, my guess is you will have it back in time; however, if they don't have any replacement parts in stock, then perhaps not. Of course, maybe all it needs is to have the AF calibrated. The first time I shipped my D600 for the oil spot issue, it also had an AF problem. All it needed was to be calibrated--and I can say that DID fix the AF problem. So hopefully that's all yours will need. ;)

Whiskeyman

Well, my Nikon Service Order Status has changed from "Shop" to "Billing" today. Hopefully, it means that my D750 will soon be on its way back to me.

WM

Whiskeyman

... and now the delivery date has slipped from today to tomorrow. But I see no movement over the last day, and it shows it hasn't left Virginia yet. :(

What are you doing UPS??? :mad:

WM

Deezey

WM. UPS showed my iMac in a shipping center in a town 45 minutes away. Sat there all day. Never moved. Got home to a Sorry we missed you sticker on the door......

Danno

WM. UPS showed my iMac in a shipping center in a town 45 minutes away. Sat there all day. Never moved. Got home to a Sorry we missed you sticker on the door......

I hate it when that happens. The truck comes the same time plus or minus 1 hour and I am home most all the time. But they tap on the door instead of knock and I have missed them a couple times when I was home all day???

Horoscope Fish

On days I'm expecting the UPS/FedEx guy to arrive I put a sign on my door saying I'm home and too please knock loudly.

If you decide to make your own, I suggest using a lot of "please" and "thank you".

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod

When I sent my D600 into Nikon 3 times, I never had to sign for its return. Perhaps Nikon figures they can save a little money, and in the event a camera gets lost, they have refurbished ones they can use as a replacement.

Sorry to hear about the delay, WM. Maybe it will arrive today.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
By the way, the UPS tracking number link should indicate whether or not it needs to be signed for.

TKC_D500

I hate it when that happens. The truck comes the same time plus or minus 1 hour and I am home most all the time. But they tap on the door instead of knock and I have missed them a couple times when I was home all day???

Our UPS guys don't even knock if the package doesn't require a signature. They just put the package on the porch and go. I have a Ring video doorbell and have watched them lots of times!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bikerbrent

Around the holidays there was a lot of package delivery theft in our area. The crocks would follow the UPS truck around and grab the package as soon as it was dropped off. Despite this and many complaints to UPS, they still do not even knock or ring the doorbell when delivering a package that does not require a signature. Since my computer room and living room are in the back of my house, I can't even see them drop off the package. A real pain.

Deezey

Around the holidays there was a lot of package delivery theft in our area. The crocks would follow the UPS truck around and grab the package as soon as it was dropped off. Despite this and many complaints to UPS, they still do not even knock or ring the doorbell when delivering a package that does not require a signature. Since my computer room and living room are in the back of my house, I can't even see them drop off the package. A real pain.

I built a box for my girlfriends place for this reason. I installed a latch and use a cut proof lock. You can set up driver instructions on your packages. We just have them put it in the box and lock it. Throw a foam cushion on it and you even have a little bench.

Our UPS guys don't even knock if the package doesn't require a signature. They just put the package on the porch and go. I have a Ring video doorbell and have watched them lots of times!

I have the Ring Doorbell also. Caught the USPS lady just dropping a package to the porch instead of placing it on the porch. The postmaster was not real happy that I caught it on video.

When My D750 was coming back from Nikon to me I had a hold put on it and told them I would pick it up at the UPS office. Good thing I did. The box was crushed when the lady put it on the counter. I took a photo of it as she was placing it on the counter and also made her make a note of the condition of the package on the paperwork. I then made her stand there and watch me open the package to exam the camera. The packaging was so good nothing appeared to be damaged. The photos and notations on the paperwork would have been enough for me to file claim if there had been any kind of damage once I got a chance to check it out when I got home.

Glad I had it held at the UPS office so the blame would have been in the right place.

Whiskeyman

Well, 14 days from when I sent it in to its arrival back on my doorstep, which includes two weekends, so I think that is pretty good. Nikon got it on a Monday and shipped it back on Friday of the same week.

Items on the repair invoice: RPR Mirror Angle, RPL Shutter Mechanism, Replace Rubber Grip, RPL Wind Side Rubber (X2), CKD Meter Accuracy, CKD AE Operation, CKD AF System, General Check & Clean.

So it looks as though I've got a new shutter, a calibration and a cleaning, and some new exterior rubber. The camera looks brand new, but I can't really try it out since it's already dark and I've got a million things to do around here. I'll put it to the test tomorrow afternoon, though!

WM

Bikerbrent

I built a box for my girlfriends place for this reason. I installed a latch and use a cut proof lock. You can set up driver instructions on your packages. We just have them put it in the box and lock it. Throw a foam cushion on it and you even have a little bench.

If UPS won't even take the time to ring the doorbell, I don't have much faith they would take the time to lock it in the box.

Whiskeyman

I have the Ring Doorbell also. Caught the USPS lady just dropping a package to the porch instead of placing it on the porch. The postmaster was not real happy that I caught it on video.

When My D750 was coming back from Nikon to me I had a hold put on it and told them I would pick it up at the UPS office. Good thing I did. The box was crushed when the lady put it on the counter. I took a photo of it as she was placing it on the counter and also made her make a note of the condition of the package on the paperwork. I then made her stand there and watch me open the package to exam the camera. The packaging was so good nothing appeared to be damaged. The photos and notations on the paperwork would have been enough for me to file claim if there had been any kind of damage once I got a chance to check it out when I got home.

Glad I had it held at the UPS office so the blame would have been in the right place.

Last month, I purchased a bassoon for my son and it was delivered by UPS. They left it, a $9k woodwind instrument, half-on/half-off of our front porch where anyone driving by could see it. I was tracking it at work and as soon as it was delivered, I high-tailed it home to get it. About five minutes after I got it inside, a thunderstorm hit and we were deluged with rain. If I had not retrieved it, it would have gotten very wet and most likely been ruined.

WM