D750m back to Nikon?

Whiskeyman

Going to be shooting somewhere on the Alabama/Florida coast all day tomorrow. We have not decided exactly where yet. Want something interesting especially for the sunset.

If you make it to Pensacola, Fort Pickens and the Lighthouse at the Navy Base are options. Other than that, I don't have any ideas for sunset photos in that area. Good luck and travel safely Don.

WM

If you make it to Pensacola, Fort Pickens and the Lighthouse at the Navy Base are options. Other than that, I don't have any ideas for sunset photos in that area. Good luck and travel safely Don.

WM

I think we will be hanging around the Alabama Coast. Going with my friend Kevin and like a lot of out trips we head in a certain direction and then decide where we are going. Our last trip we drove for 4 or 5 hours and did not shooting but we did find several places to shoot in the fall.

Whiskeyman

I think we will be hanging around the Alabama Coast. Going with my friend Kevin and like a lot of out trips we head in a certain direction and then decide where we are going. Our last trip we drove for 4 or 5 hours and did not shooting but we did find several places to shoot in the fall.

Those can be good trips; no pressure!!

When I get the time, and who knows when that'll be, I want to take a tour of Alabama, Georgia, North Carolina and Tennessee waterfalls. It might be better to break the trip into several to make it more likely and manageable.

i read your tour book on the subject after you publish it, Don.

WM

Whiskeyman

An update: I had to put off my trip to Orlando this weekend, so I didn't get the D750 to the place where I purchased it, and it hasn't been looked at by their repair guy. I did talk to them over the phone, and they want to look at it to verify that the AF is off. The sales guy said that if they see it's messed up, they will send it to Nikon for me. However, they can't do anything to repair it without voiding the warranty, which they will not risk. If Invest-99 doesn't head this way, or to Orlando, next week, I'll be going there for a long weekend to have the store staff take a look at the camera. He suggested that I call and discuss the issue with Nikon Tech Service and so I did.

The Nikon rep was really friendly and helpful and ran me through a lot of system checks and asked a lot of questions about me and my shooting circumstances, as well as camera settings. He sent me an e-mail with a link for me to upload a RAW file to in order for him to check out the images. I've just finished a few shots that I'll send to the link, and then I'll wait for a response.

I took those shots during a testing session with another Nikon shooter I know, and we tested my cameras and lenses, as well as his cameras and two of his lenses, which give him shots that are what I consider very sharp, even at 100%. We tested my D700 and D750 with my 70-200, my 300mm, and my 105 mm, and we tested his D700 with his 70-200mm, as well as my 70-200mm, and his 85 mm. All tests were run with Reikan FoCal 2.2, and the camera on a tripod.

First of all, all tests run with just his gear indicate a AF Fine Tune (AFFT) setting requirement of -1 and -2. (I forgot which got what.) Now to the bad news: my D750 would not run a valid FoCal with either of my lenses, and his lenses tested really poorly, compared to his camera. On my D750, the AFFT curve extrapolated to an optimal setting of between -22 to -30 for every single lens we tested. My 70-200 was by far, the worst performing of the lens group. On his camera, my 70-200 required -11 for the AFFT, way outside what his 70-200 required. I was so fed up with the results, that I quit before I got to any more lenses. The Reikan comparison data show that my camera image resolution quality is what could be considered bad!!

The bottom line is that unless the camera dealer or Nikon finds or does something significant in how the camera is configured, the D750 is definitely going back to Nikon for service. In addition, I've got a lens that also likely needs to go in for service.

Now, all I can do is hope that Nikon doesn't come up with a way to void my warranty, like saying the camera is damaged from negligence. And dang-it, kick myself for not checking the camera out immediately after I had purchased it!!

WM

Last edited:

Whiskeyman

Well, the camera was at the store today, for a visit with their technician. His analysis is that the camera is within specs and and he couldn't help me at all, and that he thought the images looked good. So now I have to with until I return home and check my e-mail to see if the folks at Nikon USA have anything to say about it.

I did bring it out this evening and put my 50 mm one it, and sure enough, the back focus issue is there on this lens,as well. I'll go back to dialing in -18 in the focus fine tune and living with that until I hear something from Nikon.

I am almost to the point of sending the camera back to Nikon for service no matter what their e-mail says, just because I also unhappy with it now.

WM

Danno

That is so frustrating. I had an issue like that with a motorcycle once. It had a bad rattle in the motor and I went back several times and got the "it is in spec" comment. I did the same thing and hit this point when I was just not satisfied with the bike.

In the end the manufacturer reviewed it and replaced the cam and lifters, but it is just a hassle.

Wish you the best this WM.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
My suggestion is to reset the AF tuning to 0 and retake a photo that shows significant back focusing. Then upload it through your account while asking for an AF calibration.

When I had the oil spot issues with my D600, I also told them the AF was off. I am one of those people who tend to focus and recompose so the AF point isn't always right over a subject's eye. Took a photo of my dog while focusing/recomposing. They calibrated the AF because they could tell it was way off. I will say they did a good job with fixing the AF although they never fixed the oil spot problem.

Whiskeyman

My suggestion is to reset the AF tuning to 0 and retake a photo that shows significant back focusing. Then upload it through your account while asking for an AF calibration.

When I had the oil spot issues with my D600, I also told them the AF was off. I am one of those people who tend to focus and recompose so the AF point isn't always right over a subject's eye. Took a photo of my dog while focusing/recomposing. They calibrated the AF because they could tell it was way off. I will say they did a good job with fixing the AF although they never fixed the oil spot problem.

hark, that is good advice and is just what Nikon has me doing with the back focus issue. I have internet access, but not to my e-mail, so I won't know until late Tuesday if Nikon sees the same issue. If Nikon says the camera is good, I don't know what I'll do... I've decided to just put the D700 in the bag for my trip today, and leave the D750 on the shelf.

It's too bad they never did fix the oil spot issue on those cameras. Than again, it's too bad they ever had them in the first place.

WM

Last edited:

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I have internet access, but not to my e-mail, so I won't know until late Tuesday if Nikon sees the same issue.

When I had problems with my D600, I accessed this link to ask questions during the process. Not sure if it will help you, but keep in mind you can check on things through your online account. I just went back through some old questions in my account and found the photo I uploaded of my dog (from the D600 AF issue) is still there.

https://support.nikonusa.com/app/account/questions/list

Whiskeyman

Well, I finally got tired of waiting for Nikon to get back to me about the images I submitted over a week ago, so I called them. The rep asked for my reference number and then informed me that the follow-up images never arrived!! So I looked in my account, and sure enough, I had failed to fill one required field and the images didn't go! Totally my fault because I was in a hurry and did not pay attention to what I was doing.

So, I submitted them and the rep put me on hold to review the images. When she came off of telephone hold, she agreed that indeed there is an issue with the focus and that I need to send it in for service. She sent me an e-mail with all of the particulars in it, so I'm off to try to find the receipt for the purchase. (I'm always bad about losing those things. I should scan them to my computer, but I never do.) Then, I'll cut a CD with some of the bad images on it so that they have a reference.

Hopefully, I'll get it shipped out by Thursday or Friday of this week, and then I wait....:( Over all, though, the technical service reps I spoke with were very helpful and friendly.

WM

Last edited:
Well, I finally got tired of waiting for Nikon to get back to me about the images I submitted over a week ago, so I called them. The rep asked for my reference number and then informed me that the follow-up images never arrived!! So I looked in my account, and sure enough, I had failed to fill one required field and the images didn't go! Totally my fault because I was in a hurry and did not pay attention to what I was doing.

So, I submitted them and the rep put me on hold to review the images. When she came off of telephone hold, she agreed that indeed there is an issue with the focus and that I need to send it in for service. She sent me an e-mail with all of the particulars in it, so I'm off to try to find the receipt for the purchase. (I'm always bad about losing those things. I should scan them to my computer, but I never do.) Then, I'll cut a CD with some of the bad images on it so that they have a reference.

Hopefully, I'll get it shipped out by Thursday or Friday of this week, and then I wait....:( Over all, though, the technical service reps I spoke with were very helpful and friendly.

WM

Nice to hear a positive account about Nikon Customer Service. So many times we only hear the bad stories.

Whiskeyman

It took me a while to do it, but as of today, my D750 is on its way to Melville, New York. I'm hoping that Nikon Service is good to the camera and to me. I guess it's back to the D700 for a while!

WM

Whiskeyman

Well, my D750 is at the Melville, NY Nikon Service Center, according to the USPS tracking site. According to Nikon, they haven't signed it into their system, yet. Hopefully, it won't take very long to get it into the service process.

As of now, all I really want to know is what's wrong with it to cause the focus issues and how long it will take to fix it. I leave for a trip in less than three weeks and I'd really like to have the camera to take with me.

I know that service timelines can vary greatly, but has anyone here gotten a camera back from Nikon USA in NY in less than 19 days?

WM

Well, my D750 is at the Melville, NY Nikon Service Center, according to the USPS tracking site. According to Nikon, they haven't signed it into their system, yet. Hopefully, it won't take very long to get it into the service process.

As of now, all I really want to know is what's wrong with it to cause the focus issues and how long it will take to fix it. I leave for a trip in less than three weeks and I'd really like to have the camera to take with me.

I know that service timelines can vary greatly, but has anyone here gotten a camera back from Nikon USA in NY in less than 19 days?

WM

My D750 took about 2 weeks or so when they had it in for the shutter replacement