D7200/D9300 leaked? Possibly.

aroy

I was just about ready to pull the trigger on the D7100 for Christmas. I don't mind waiting a few more months for an upgraded model. If the rumor is true, is it worth the extra money for the changes listed for a D7200 or should I get the D7100 which has come down in price as of late (maybe because something new is coming????)

The additional features will cost a lot of money. So expect the D7200/D9300 to be priced accordingly. My estimate is between $2,000/ and $2,500/

mikew_RIP

I was just about ready to pull the trigger on the D7100 for Christmas. I don't mind waiting a few more months for an upgraded model. If the rumor is true, is it worth the extra money for the changes listed for a D7200 or should I get the D7100 which has come down in price as of late (maybe because something new is coming????)

I cant see the D7100 going up so if you can you may as well wait a while,who knows the D7100 may come down even more.

Revet

The additional features will cost a lot of money. So expect the D7200/D9300 to be priced accordingly. My estimate is between $2,000/ and $2,500/

If that is true, I think I would move to a full frame!! I think I waited long enough, plus I am going skiing in Colorado in the first week of January. Since my legs can't go all day anymore, what better way to spend a vacation around beautiful scenery than to fool around learning the D7100!!!

mikew_RIP

If that is true, I think I would move to a full frame!! I think I waited long enough, plus I am going skiing in Colorado in the first week of January. Since my legs can't go all day anymore, what better way to spend a vacation around beautiful scenery than to fool around learning the D7100!!!

You will love the camera :D

Horoscope Fish

Thing is, there's *always* going to be something new coming. The upgrades sound like some "nice to haves" to me but nothing ground breaking and they won't make you a better photographer. Besides, with the money you save from the price drop on the D7100 you can buy some more/better glass for it and not be waiting for Nikon to screw the pooch on a new release.

That being said, I can appreciate the fact you'd be making a huge leap with either camera, while I'd be the one looking at a far more incremental sort of "upgrade". If you seriously want the latest and greatest, the improvements are there and some of them are nothing to laugh at. Then too, I see in your profile you're shooting a D3100? Great camera to get your feet wet with but it's going to feel like you've gone from a horse and buggy to a Formua One racing machine with the D7100.

Are you a betting man? A patient man? Both?? The D7100 isn't going anywhere so I guess I'd have to applaud you for taking a "wait and see" posture on this.

Last edited:

BackdoorArts

My take is that if you're in the market for a good DX camera and even think the smaller buffer will be an issue then wait on this one, or buy your D7100 used or refurbed so you at least won't regret it too much should the new camera coming out be what you should have bought. The D7100 is two years old, and that needs to be factored into your cost justification.

This one isn't going to be cheap (I'm thinking $1599-1799), and will likely be the "pro DX" many have been waiting for, particularly given what Canon has just released. The big question is the "when?", so if you're ready and need to buy then do it, because no one knows when this is coming out - but buy smart in case you want to flip it after the announcement. Unless you're shooting in long bursts the D7100 won't disappoint. If you're looking for a good sports and wildlife camera this will work and save you some $$, but I suspect it won't be as good as the next one.

Rick M

I think folks need to understand that it may not be just an incremental update to the D7100 but rather an entirely new pro Dx body. Huge difference, hence it will command a pro price and probably be deserving of it.

Nero

If this new model is priced as high as some are saying I might just take advantage of the price drops and get the D7100. Not in a position to spend over 1500 bucks on a camera and I'll know that I'm still getting a great camera that will last me a long time. Hell my D3100 was already almost 2 years old when I got it and that was 2 years ago. :p

mikew_RIP

I notice it states focusing to f10,does this mean i would get quicker focus in good light or just extend the focusing ability to lower light.

Horoscope Fish

I notice it states focusing to f10,does this mean i would get quicker focus in good light or just extend the focusing ability to lower light.
What I saw stated was that 39 cross-type focus points are supported down to f/10. That means you'll more accurate auto-focus at that aperture and above because cross-type focus points measure vertically and horizontally, using what's called Phase Detection. Different sensors, however can also have different sensitivities: some working better at wide apertures and others better at working at smaller apertures; these aperture limitations on AF are simply inherent in Phase Detection so it's not anything Nikon can do anything about.

All this being said, the additional phase detection will be nice, in my opinion, but I don't think it promises faster auto-focus *or* better focusing in low light; just better AF at smaller apertures.

mikew_RIP

What I saw stated was that 39 cross-type focus points are supported down to f/10. That means you'll more accurate auto-focus at that aperture and above because cross-type focus points measure vertically and horizontally, using what's called Phase Detection. Different sensors, however can also have different sensitivities: some working better at wide apertures and others better at working at smaller apertures; these aperture limitations on AF are simply inherent in Phase Detection so it's not anything Nikon can do anything about.

All this being said, the additional phase detection will be nice, in my opinion, but I don't think it promises faster auto-focus *or* better focusing in low light; just better AF at smaller apertures.

Thanks,at the moment my Tamron @ f6,3 is pretty slow focus in poor light situations was hoping it would perk it up a bit.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod

Why am I thinking that cameras keep the aperture open until the photo is actually taken? Isn't that how it worked with 35mm cameras? Does't the camera adjust the focus while the aperture is completely open then stop down when the shutter is pressed? If you use the DoF preview button, it will stop down the aperture so you can see how much depth of field is applicable. So why would focusing be affected no matter how the f/stop is set?

aroy

Why am I thinking that cameras keep the aperture open until the photo is actually taken? Isn't that how it worked with 35mm cameras? Does't the camera adjust the focus while the aperture is completely open then stop down when the shutter is pressed? If you use the DoF preview button, it will stop down the aperture so you can see how much depth of field is applicable. So why would focusing be affected no matter how the f/stop is set?

The AF works with aperture wide open. The sensitivity depends on what the maximum aperture is. Normally the AF is not reliable and slow beyond F5.6, which was the "Minimum" maximum aperture of a lot of zooms. Take the case of F4 telephoto - 300mm, 600mm etc. Now add a 2x teleconverter and the aperture wide open is F8. The 800mm F5.6+TC1.4 is also F8. Here is an interesting article
LensRentals.com - Teleconverters 101

So having reliable AF at F8 means a lot of Super telephotos can now be used reliably (AF wise) with teleconverters.

Horoscope Fish

Thanks,at the moment my Tamron @ f6,3 is pretty slow focus in poor light situations was hoping it would perk it up a bit.
Well I don't think the extra points and the phase detection they bring will hurt any... But I'm leery of telling you you'll get better performance in low light because of it.

I suspect, and I'm just theorizing now, is that *accuracy* of AF is directly related to the type of focus point (Contrast Detection vs. Phase Detection) being employed, while how *fast* the camera achieves focus lock is probably more related to the processing power of the camera's CPU.

Now, if someone who *actually* knows something about this stuff wants to come in and wipe the floor with my theory, well, I'm all ears.

Last edited:

mikew_RIP

Well I don't think the extra points and the phase detection they bring will hurt any... But I'm leery of telling you you'll get better performance in low light because of it.

I suspect, and I'm just theorizing now, is that *accuracy* of AF is directly related to the type of focus point (Contrast Detection vs. Phase Detection) being employed, while how *fast* the camera achieves focus lock is probably more related to the processing power of the camera's CPU.

Now, if someone who *actually* knows something about this stuff wants to come in and wipe the floor with my theory, well, I'm all ears.

I know less than you but that sounds likley

Horoscope Fish

It would be nice if they combined phase detection and contrast detection. My Oly EM1 does that, its excellent
We won't see hybrid AF like that until Nikon breaks away from the Multi-CAM autofocus module they seem to have a perpetual hardon for (which I totally do NOT understand). It's one of THE most desirable features of mirror-less that I'm seeing. Multi-CAM is also why the AF points can't cover the viewfinder corner to corner like they most likely do on your Oly. It's the Multi-CAM 3500 AF module that keeps them clustered in the middle of the frame.

Fascinating Horoscope Fish Tidbit-of-the-Day:

Talking about the Multi-CAM 3500 Auto Focus Module always make me think of the "Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator" for some reason... Though I'm sure they're quite unrelated.

Last edited:

mikew_RIP

Actually ime quiet exited about the possibility's here,i was unable to consider upgrading camera as i dont want full frame,i cant upgrade lenses as any thing better for me than the Tamron would be too expensive or like the new Sigma sport too heavy.The idea of an upgraded pro cropped body makes me think how much i enjoyed the D300 but just wasn't happy with the higher ISO results,have started dropping hints to the better half just in case,:D